Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Going from blower to Artillian-mounted plow

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-13-2018 @ 11:30 AM
    Thanks

Going from blower to Artillian-mounted plow

Not sure if I should ask here or over in SCUT, so feel free to point me that way. I've got a 1025R with the JD snow blower, but the past two years these 2" snows are killing me - enough that my wife isn't happy if I ignore it, but not enough to blow unless I set the shoes so low I'm eating gravel. So I want to move to the blade. I've got Artillian forks and love them, just trying to figure out what I actually need.

Basically I'm looking at John Deere 54" Quick-Hitch Front Blade and trying to figure out if I need the $716 of quick hitch (BLV10159). Is that the same hydraulic lifter I already have with the blower? Or is it the part I'll be replacing with a fixed mount anyway? Or do I need the whole set except for the attaching hardware (I'm pretty sure that's the same part number as on my invoice, and anyway I won't be mounting it there).

Or is it worth getting the whole set regardless because the blower would have a much better trade in value with the mounts, if I decide next year that the plow is plenty and it's time to get that tiller at last?

Any advice is very welcome, y'all have been so very helpful over the years. Someday I'll come up with something useful in return.

Thanks,
    Seth

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 08:38 PM
    Thanks
    You would only need to buy the front blade and an angling cylinder kit for your front hitch. No need to use the loader setup unless you want to. Some like the blade mounted to the loader as you can pile the snow higher than with the stock setup. I'd keep the blower for the deep stuff and use a blade for the lighter stuff.
    Kennyd, OxPath and BigJim55 like this.
    2005 - JD 4110, 54" front blade, 47" snow blower
    2004 - JD X595, 54" front blade
    2000 - JD 4100, 410 FEL

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eastcreek For This Useful Post:

Symmatree (02-04-2017)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,031 Times in 2,511 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcreek View Post
    You would only need to buy the front blade and an angling cylinder kit for your front hitch. No need to use the loader setup unless you want to. Some like the blade mounted to the loader as you can pile the snow higher than with the stock setup. I'd keep the blower for the deep stuff and use a blade for the lighter stuff.
    THIS^
    Buy only the 54" blade and cylinder for now-and maybe the wings from Artillian, drop the blower off of the QH, attach the blade and go to work. There are even a few aftermarket blades you can look at too. If later you think you want to put it on the loader-all you'll need in the plow adapter from Artillian.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

Symmatree (02-04-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    That's a good point about keeping the blower just in case; even if I don't bother with the PTO setup each fall I could always switch over if I needed it.
    It looks like I could get the BLV10159 from Green Farm Parts for an extra $100 (vs mutton's price when bought with the plow) so if it really helped an eventual sale I could pick it up then.

I wish JD made it more obvious. My invoice for the snow blower says "2008" as the code for "Front Quick-Hitch and Hydraulic Lift", and I've never been able to find a manual for that part number, or a mapping to the other part numbers like the BLV parts...

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    THIS^
    Buy only the 54" blade and cylinder for now-and maybe the wings from Artillian, drop the blower off of the QH, attach the blade and go to work. There are even a few aftermarket blades you can look at too. If later you think you want to put it on the loader-all you'll need in the plow adapter from Artillian.
    Thanks Kenny, that makes perfect sense! I only really lust after the Artillian setup so I could put a Heavy Hitch receiver plate on the front for a different winch placement (it uses the quick hitch mounting holes); much better to start with the easy solution and do that later once I'm used to the plow if I still want to.

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 08:38 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Symmatree View Post
    It looks like I could get the BLV10159 from Green Farm Parts for an extra $100 (vs mutton's price when bought with the plow) so if it really helped an eventual sale I could pick it up then.
    I wouldn't worry about the hitch affecting an eventual sale of the blower. There are several different hitches and whoever might be interested in your blower very possibly has a different tractor than you. You often see blowers and hitches listed separately. I've bought two used blowers and wasn't particularly interested in whether a hitch was included as I already have hitches for all my tractors.
    Kennyd and BigJim55 like this.
    2005 - JD 4110, 54" front blade, 47" snow blower
    2004 - JD X595, 54" front blade
    2000 - JD 4100, 410 FEL

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    I wouldn't worry about the hitch affecting an eventual sale of the blower. There are several different hitches and whoever might be interested in your blower very possibly has a different tractor than you. You often see blowers and hitches listed separately. I've bought two used blowers and wasn't particularly interested in whether a hitch was included as I already have hitches for all my tractors.
    Thanks, that helps a lot. Since I bought it with the tractor, I can't easily picture what it'd be like buying it separately, but that makes a lot of sense.

Blade is on its way from Mutton, and just trying to figure out if I can justify a set of 24" forks before I order from Chris as well. Thanks everyone for your help!!

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 06:13 PM
    Thanks

Advice to those wanting new stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Symmatree View Post
    Thanks, that helps a lot. Since I bought it with the tractor, I can't easily picture what it'd be like buying it separately, but that makes a lot of sense.

Blade is on its way from Mutton, and just trying to figure out if I can justify a set of 24" forks before I order from Chris as well. Thanks everyone for your help!!
    This may be the very best forum if you want to spend . There's no end of people willing to help and I actually mean that in a positive way. Even those of us who don't offer an opinion get to lurk and dream about what we could spend cash on.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Thanks
    I use the JD 54" on the loader arms with my Artillian frame and adapter.
    I think it's as good as you can get for a plow mounted up front.
    You would also need the diverter kit to angle the plow.
    It's an investment, but worth it to me personally.

You have the blower already so just getting the plow to change between may be easier. Definitely check out the Artillian plow wings though.
    You can always upgrade later.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7751.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	309201
    Last edited by blue87fj60; 02-05-2017 at 06:46 AM.
    Gizmo2 and Artillian like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Thanks
    Gizmo2 and Artillian like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

15. The Following User Says Thank You to blue87fj60 For This Useful Post:

Artillian (02-06-2017)

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast