Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Wanting to build a shed

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:52 PM
    Thanks

Wanting to build a shed

As the title states. I would like to build a shed in a couple years to house my CJ-5 and maybe some tractor attachments. I have never done anything like that. How difficult is it for a beginner? Any tips? Any rock solid shed build plans floating around?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Thanks
    My plan was to build a 20X30 foot shed,,, out of scrounged materials.
    The size was not set in stone,,, the design was not done until after the materials were acquired.

After I got done scrounging, begging, clearing out neighbors scrap piles, and using up favors,,
    I ended up with the material.

Other than the rollup door,, and the concrete, nothing was purchased retail.

The "shed" ended up 57X45 feet,,, and 22 feet high at the peak.
    All of my friends had steel,, so I welded the frame together,,,
    There are no nails in the frame of the building.
    There would have not been any nails,, but I ended up scrounging a 1,000 SQ FT of oak flooring.
    The building has a BIG upper storage area.
    I think I over-did it a little,,,

Scrounging is a good way to do it,,, it is amazing the building materials laying around,,,
    Levi, keane, Marlin and 3 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    My plan was to build a 20X30 foot shed,,, out of scrounged materials.
    The size was not set in stone,,, the design was not done until after the materials were acquired.

After I got done scrounging, begging, clearing out neighbors scrap piles, and using up favors,,
    I ended up with the material.

Other than the rollup door,, and the concrete, nothing was purchased retail.

The "shed" ended up 57X45 feet,,, and 22 feet high at the peak.
    All of my friends had steel,, so I welded the frame together,,,
    There are no nails in the frame of the building.
    There would have not been any nails,, but I ended up scrounging a 1,000 SQ FT of oak flooring.
    The building has a BIG upper storage area.
    I think I over-did it a little,,,

Scrounging is a good way to do it,,, it is amazing the building materials laying around,,,
    Well I currently have two sheds on my property. A small one which houses my tractor and other garden stuff. And a big one that I'm currently organizing because it is FULL of jeep crap. I have thought about moving the big one somehow because it's in a crappy place in my back yard and modifying it to fit my needs.

The big one however is quite old and I think has a termite problem. Along with some rotten wood here and there. So that's why I was just thinking about tearing it down and making something to fit my needs. I have just never "constructed" anything before. Lol
    Levi, Marlin and Drifterbike like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Years ago some friends and I built a 10'X24' shed in a weekend. We used barn style trusses and plywood for sheeting. By Saturday afternoon we realized that I didn't get enough plywood. My buddy brought most of the supplies in a big box truck. Well he couldn't come back to help me get the rest of the wood. Ended up talking my 1991 Wrangler to the lumber yard to get about 8 sheets of plywood we were missing. I stacked the wood on top of the roll bar and windshield frame. Then drove 2 mph back to the house. Then the weather was calling for rain overnight. I was way to tired (and drunk) to put up the soft top. The tube was constructed with tar paper on the roof. So I put 2 red car ramps by the one end. Put the Jeep into low range and backed her in. Problem solved. lol By Sunday night we were staining it.

Now for the advice. If you never built anything before maybe you can find someone that has to help. Plus having more than 2 hands will be extremely helpful. It is a lot of work but doable. You will also need a small arsenal of wood working tools. Like hammers, saws, levels etc.

The last 2 sheds I had were store bought. (8'X12'&10'X14') They just backed in with a shed trailer and unloaded them. On the bigger shed the delivery guy even spun it on a big steel pin to get it to the proper angle. The hydraulic powered trailer lifted up the shed. Then he crawled under the trailer to install the pin. Then he set the shed down onto it. The whole shed was basically balanced on this pin (in the center). Then the 2 of us moved the shed about a 1/4 turn. When we had the proper angle he took the pin out. Then slid it totally off the trailer and into its spot. This option is way easier on your back than building one.
    The downside to this way is having access room for the shed. It oviously needs to fit in as one big piece.

Check around your area for shed prices. Sometimes they can be cheaper than buying all materials separately.

Either way you will have to do some site preparation. This is where a loader will be you best friend. lol Seeing that you are replacing an existing shed this should be minimal.

Good luck

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Thanks

$ and time

The more time you put into planning the shed, the less time and you will spend actually building it. A lot has to do with your intended use. You also need to check with your local government about building permits, site plans, building inspections etc.

If I build a shed on the farm, I'm good to go. If I build the exact same shed on my house lot I have to jump through hoops with a site plan, inspectors etc.

A basic pole shed is pretty easily understood. Poles in the ground, beams on the poles, rafters or trusses on the beams and roof on top. It's the details that matter. How big should the poles be, how tall and how deep? Do you need to put concrete pilings in the ground and attach the poles to those? How do you attach the beams to the poles? What size rafters and the spacing? Overhang the rafters or flush with the outside? What kind of roof? Are you going to have sides and if so, what type? How would the sides attach to the building?

Conventional framing is a bit more complicated in some ways but easier once you master the corners, doors and windows.

If you don't have building experience, at a minimum have someone help you even if you have to pay them. You only want to build the shed once, not build it and rebuild it because it either fell down or didn't pass inspection. Get the structural stuff right from the start. Trim can always be fixed but the structural part has to be right. There are also a lot of books with designs and instructions at the local home center or building supply. Spend a few bucks and get a couple and see what's involved before you pick up a board.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Rock on, thanks guys. I have awhile yet before this shed is "needed" but I wanted to start planning stuff. I was gonna look at some prebuilt ones. I heard prices can be pretty decent on some. Was also gonna pick up some books and do a lot of research for the time being. My grandfather could build one no problem, even a house for that matter. Sadly he's no longer with us though. Hope to have skills like him someday! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    etcallhome, Levi, romcjr and 2 others like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:53 PM
    Thanks
    +10 on knowing what you can do on your property without getting permits and such. A couple years ago I 'repaired' an existing pole barn we had and did not put in any new concrete flooring so it didn't need to be permitted / inspected. The 'repair' was 'extensive' and resulted in my using only three utility poles that were posts in the old building and replacing everything else!

Maybe you can 'repair' your existing shed and avoid some hassle.

Mine is about 22' x 34' which isn't the exact footprint of the original. I used metal siding and roofing (which was 90% of the cost) and the framing covered very quickly. Part of the existing building had a half dirt and half concrete floor and eventually I will pour the rest which is now stone.
    Levi and Drifterbike like this.
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,064 Posts
    Once you know what size you want/need go to a Lowes or Home Depot and have them spec out the plans and what you need to build it. I took my plans to a Home Depot for our patio, how long, how high, how wide and where the stairs would go. The only change I made was I used 6"x6" posts and not 4"x4" like their plans called for. They will tell you what you need to build the building and give you the plans. You can then alter anything you want and they can get you the material and deliver it. I ended up taking back over 300 dollars worth of lumber back.
    Drifterbike and papaw1962 like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:40 AM
    Thanks
    what kind of floor? Do you really want a shed or a garage. if i was parking a car in it or a tractor i would want a cement floor and a tall enough door. you can get package kit at Menards or Lowes. take time and plan it out and you can do it with some help. good luck
    Levi and Rope_Chucker like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:56 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,458 Times in 1,583 Posts
    What ever size you built ,,you'll find out in a month or two after building it is to small.

Do you want your shed to look like the house.,,,? or maybe just metal siding pole building ?

Pole building would be the easiest. Check around , look at other properties and see how they are made. If nothing else stop talk to the owner see who built their building . Around here we have a couple of contractors that will do the complete job and IMO about the same cost of what you would spend building the same thing.

Once it is built , then you can decide ,what type covering on walls ,insulation or not. Garage door openers IMO best thing to do . plus don't forget a side door and probably some windows .. Way to many decisions ...

and a lot of
    Levi, patchnball and Drifterbike like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast