Do I need OSB on a Pole building.
Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By JimR
  • 4 Post By ljnelson109
  • 4 Post By Maddog
  • 1 Post By Bulitt

Thread: Do I need OSB on a Pole building.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks

Do I need OSB on a Pole building.

I building a Pole building for tractors & tools. I have a building permit & plans. The plan calls for OSB sheathing installed over the horizontal Girts which are 2x6 on 24"centers. The question is must I have OSB if I'm going to use 5/8" thick T 1-11 panels as the finished exterior siding.

Three sides of the barn will be T1-11 & the front will be hardiplank clapboard. On the front I know I will need OSB behind the hardiplank. But is OSB necessary to have under the T1-11? I was going to use the 3/8" thick T 1-11 but I don't think that it would be considered a structural material by itself. The 5/8" T 1-11 I think would be considered structural & not needing any OSB backing. I have a permit on this storage barn. There are only two inspections. The first was for Pole depth hole & the site location on the property. I'm well past the first inspection. The second inspection is for finished framing. Since this is a storage & work shed barn only, no CO will ever be issued. Just a final ok on the finished framing.

I tried looking for a IRC code that would reference this subject but have not been able to find it. I also asked my building dept. & they would not comment on it. I was told that it would be up to the inspector & what he sees at the time of inspection. That's like it will be too late. If I fail the final framing inspection it's no big deal because a CO is not required to begin with. However it would be nice to have an approved building to code so that as an insurance matter as to any claims as an out building with my insurance carrier would not be an issue involving structural approval. Does anyone have any knowledge in this area of construction. My code knowledge is very limited. My plans drawn by an architect calls for OSB, but this is one of those generic plans that you can use in all parts of the country & then you just apply any local codes you need. Seeking some solid advice on this. I'm located outside the town line so we really have some freedom with this stuff here in farm lands. I'm located in SC. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks
    If the T1-11 has the APA "MDO" rating stamps on it then it meets the IBC requirements for exterior siding that can be applied directly to studs (i.e. without underlying sheathing).
    Maddog, Treefarmer and Drifterbike like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 05:43 AM
    Thanks
    In my experience, your best bet is to call the inspector. In my county, you can call the inspections office and find out who will be doing your inspection. It is a bit of a hassle to track these guys down, but when you speak directly to the inspector you are going to get the answer that really matters. You might start by doing a little social engineering and trying to contact the person who did you footings inspection. Everyone talks smack about the inspections around here. I have had really good luck with talking to these guys and even inflating their ego a bit by emphasizing that you want to do what they think is the right thing. I have even been successful in "negotiating" with them. When I built a detached garage, which called for footings, frame, and final, the inspector gave me the frame and final in one visit. I was clearly not closed in at the time. He said, "I am sure Mama will make sure you finish it!". More recently, on a deck, I negotiated attaching to the ledger board rather than doing a free standing deck. I think in some ways, the actual inspectors don't always feel like they get the respect that they deserve. They respond well to showing them that respect in advance.

Good luck.

Lee
    2305, 200CX loader w/53" bucket, 62C MMM, and 47 SB.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    If the T1-11 has the APA "MDO" rating stamps on it then it meets the IBC requirements for exterior siding that can be applied directly to studs (i.e. without underlying sheathing).
    Thanks. I will look for that APA stamp on the backside. I have it on my OSB that I used for the roof sheathing. But even though it's certified by the manufacturer, that in itself does not mean that the local officials will go along with it.

Twenty five years ago I built a small barn with 5/8" T 1-11 installed over girts. The thing is still standing & had only a small amount of warp & rot in the bottom corner of the panel. Pretty good I thought after twenty five years.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks
    Normally OSB is a structural member where siding is decorative/weather protective. Good advice to Look for the stamp and talk to an inspector!
    Sometimes they want to see the manufacturer data so I normally go onto the manufacturer website and print the certifications for the product.
    Then hang it next to the permit for the inspector to see.
    Maddog likes this.
    Bob - 2011 2520

2520 Mods - http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...2520-mods.html
    Posted for general info only. Not suggesting you alter your tractor based upon my feeble minded posts. Do so at your own risk. Maintenance and mods should be performed by a JD Dealer, or refer to your owners and maintenance manuals for proper procedures.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements