Like Tree143Likes

Thread: My new shed...

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 01:22 PM
    Thanks

My new shed...

Hi everyone,

Well, I finally did it. Funny how you can never have too much garage space. I went from a single car garage plus 10x18 shed for about 13 years. Then in 2015, we moved to a home with single car garage, plus a detached barn...2-story 24x28...and an additional, albeit really small, 7x16 shed. With our Township threatening that ALL buildings in 2018 will require stormwater run-off systems installed, I knew this was the year to make it happen and avoid all the extra expense of run-off plans. The 7x16 was pretty dilapidated and the JD just barely fit inside. Time to tear it down and replace it with something more suitable.

So, after much back-and-forth over a larger drop-in shed or a pole barn, I went with the latter. 24x24x10 on concrete slab. I wanted it built well, on concrete and make sure it looked nice. So, I think the result checks off all the boxes. I never plan to heat/insulate this building since its primary use is all lawn/garden equipment storage. My 2-story barn is already fully insulated and can easily be heated by a woodstove. That's where my workshop is located...1st floor is motorcycles and shop and 2nd floor is woodworking shop. If I had to, I could park a vehicle in the pole barn, but putting in a driveway up to it is not really idea for the location...nor is it necessary.

The old...

Almost there...

And, the new...

It was all finished on Friday...Sunday afternoon, I spent some time moving all the crap from the 2-story barn over to the new pole barn. Loving the extra storage!!! Now....plenty of room for the FEL ... someday....
    John

2015 JD 2025R Classic - 54D, 220R FEL, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box, Frontier AF10F Plow, Frontier AP11F 42" Pallet Forks
    Tag Alongs: JD #15 Cart, 48" Poly Lawn Roller, JD Dethatcher
    Chainsaws: Echo CS-330T, Husqvarna 562XP-AT, Dolmar 7300
    Snowblower: Simplicity P1728E

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks
    I could use some suggestions for what to do around the perimeter. I already have some gravel at the entrance of the overhead door...but, the perimeter of the building needs something. Gutters are going to be installed today or tomorrow.

I was thinking of doing railroad ties around the sides and back set away from the building about 2 feet. Then, a layer of 3/4" clean stone followed by a top layer of decorative small riverstone. I don't want any plants / flowers around it that need maintenance. Or mulch...

Any ideas for finishing off the stone entrance at the overhead door...something to keep the stones from creeping into the grass ? Maybe a railroad tie again...

If I do railroad ties, should they be set onto a bed of compacted stone dust similar to how you would do a paver/patio?

Thanks in advance for any help / suggestions!
    John

2015 JD 2025R Classic - 54D, 220R FEL, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box, Frontier AF10F Plow, Frontier AP11F 42" Pallet Forks

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:38 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 798 Posts
    Nice upgrade.
    pcabe5, BigJim55 and Robnik like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 02:47 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM45 View Post
    I could use some suggestions for what to do around the perimeter. I already have some gravel at the entrance of the overhead door...but, the perimeter of the building needs something. Gutters are going to be installed today or tomorrow.

I was thinking of doing railroad ties around the sides and back set away from the building about 2 feet. Then, a layer of 3/4" clean stone followed by a top layer of decorative small riverstone. I don't want any plants / flowers around it that need maintenance. Or mulch...

Any ideas for finishing off the stone entrance at the overhead door...something to keep the stones from creeping into the grass ? Maybe a railroad tie again...

If I do railroad ties, should they be set onto a bed of compacted stone dust similar to how you would do a paver/patio?

Thanks in advance for any help / suggestions!
    Yes, you will want to put whatever you choose on a sand base to make it easier to level.
    Pavers will last longer than RR ties, and IMO look better, but there is a cost factor, and labor as it will take far more of them!
    pcabe5, BigJim55 and Robnik like this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    That's a nice shed!

Just my opinion - you may want to install rain gutters. Plus the ground is low all around the shed and will hold water. Some stone around the perimeter sloped away from the building will go a long way.
    BigJim55, ky_shawn, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    That's a nice shed!

Just my opinion - you may want to install rain gutters. Plus the ground is low all around the shed and will hold water. Some stone around the perimeter sloped away from the building will go a long way.
    Good catch, Coaltrain - the gutters should be going on today or tomorrow. I'll have the downspouts out in back towards the woods.

Yeah, the slopes are not ideal. The finished picture there shows how he pulled the dirt away, but it still slopes intowards the building. Unfortunately, the building is towards the bottom of a bit of a swale. Which, I left the swale there as it should direct most of the water away from the building. I think it will be some trial and error - see how it goes with the rain and what I will need to deal with...

The gutters will help a lot, of course.

I like the idea of stone pavers for perimeter. The property already has some railroad ties here and there, so from that standpoint they could tie in. I'm OK with how they look...but not crazy about it. just "OK". Hmm....pavers.
    John

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnM45 For This Useful Post:

jdindino (05-23-2017)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:11 AM
    Thanks
    What is involved in a storm water run off system? Gutters,or?
    Nice shed, you'll enjoy that.
    Terry
    World Series of Team Roping member
    John Deere 2440
    Howse bush hog
    J-Bar 7' blade, rake & post hole digger made by somebody
    bunch of home made pull-toys, groomer, bale spears
    Dodge dually '03

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 660 Posts
    After I had my building and dirt work done all around, I did this. And it keeps me from having to spend a lot of time weed trimming or running into my building.

I used double layer of landscape fabric and added 2-3" of rock. The brick edging I use as a border took me about a half day getting it string-lined and halfway straight. The brick has angled ends and works really well laying them down end for end.
    This is about the 4th year for the rock only landscape.

2013 1025R
    (Oct. 1, 2013 Used with 20hrs.)
    H120 loader -- 60D AutoConnect MMM --Frontier RB2060 blade -- Modified RIO -- Northstar Sprayer -- Fimco Spreader -- Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks.
    "Kitty" 2000-2014
    Carl

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ilmo For This Useful Post:

JohnM45 (05-22-2017)

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rope_Chucker View Post
    What is involved in a storm water run off system? Gutters,or?
    Nice shed, you'll enjoy that.
    In my neck of the woods - Lancaster county, PA...I'm actually right over the line to the north in Lebanon county...Storm water run-off is all part of the "Save the Chesapeake Bay" initiative. All of our streams eventually reach the Chesapeake. So, someone came up with the brilliant idea that not one drop of rain water running off your roof (gutters, etc.) can leave your property. That's right. All rain water must get collected and returned to a hole in the ground on your property.

What this typically means for someone building a house or erecting a building with larger than 1000 square feet of roof area (the current limit) is that a fairly large hole is dug and then lined and filled with larger rock. This hole can then have sides built up and grass planted on it. But essentially, all gutters and drains must get piped to this retaining hole...as it rains, the hole fills up and the large rock keeps everything in place. After a heavy downpour, your new pond will eventually drain itself back into the earth.

The idea was to keep water from farmland, rich in nitrates from fertilizer, from entering the streams and then eventually landing in the Chesapeake. This idea has run rampant and now costs the average person building a new home around $20-30K in excavation, labor and materials for said retaining system, permits and inspections. (No, I'm not exaggerating). The regulations are governed at a township level within each county in PA. My building was under the 1000 square foot area limit and therefore was allowed to be exempt from the stormwater system. That exemption is going away in 2018 apparently. Hence, my decision to do this project now. Permit fee was $41 from the township and another $153 for the Engineering Firm to approve (rubber-stamp) my storm water exemption. $153 to stamp an approval on something that met the exemption requirements.

:FacePalmSlap
    pcabe5, BigJim55, mark02tj and 7 others like this.
    John

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnM45 For This Useful Post:

BigJim55 (05-23-2017), Rope_Chucker (05-22-2017)

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmo View Post
    After I had my building and dirt work done all around, I did this. And it keeps me from having to spend a lot of time weed trimming or running into my building.

I used double layer of landscape fabric and added 2-3" of rock. The brick edging I use as a border took me about a half day getting it string-lined and halfway straight. The brick has angled ends and works really well laying them down end for end.
    This is about the 4th year for the rock only landscape.

Thanks for the pics - that helps. I'm liking the idea of the stone with the bricks/pavers for retaining the stone.
    John

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast