Advice on lining our new tractor / hay shed?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Advice on lining our new tractor / hay shed?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:42 AM
    Thanks

Advice on lining our new tractor / hay shed?

Our new 60' x 24' pole shed now sits next to our little barn. The shed will store hay for my wife's horses, and give shelter to two green tractors and a bunch of implements. No insulation, road crush gravel floor, and yet to be wired and lighted. We made it tall for the delivery of 160 square bales by a self-unloading truck-load. Equipment

I'm looking for wisdom about lining the interior with another layer - lumber or plywood, if anything?
    I'm thinking it would strengthen the walls against accidental damage (hay spears, pallet forks, etc?).

One local suggestion was use horizontal 2x12's screwed to the poles, and make a solid wall up to about 10 feet high. Another was to use horizontal 2x6's, but stagger them to save money.

(I'd also like add some pallet shelves to one wall so I can rack some implements. Eventually I hope to have an actual heated workshop, but that will be few years away.)

Thanks in advance!

==Grizzler
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1146.JPG   IMG_4681.JPG  
    Acreage newbie on 120 acres of rolling Alberta prairie.
    5065E "Bullfrog" Cab, FEL, snowplow, bale spears, quick-hitch, bucket, 72" Piranha toothbar, pallet forks
    1025R "Tadpole" FEL, MMM, iMatch, tiller, rake, ballast box, backhoe (+BXpanded goodies), roughcutter, land plane, Kenny's Bolt-On hooks/diff-lock pedal/ext iMatch hook, Piranha tooth bar, Psrumor's better seat springs, Artillian forks/front-hoe/front i-Match, LED lights, RIO disable, fire extinguisher, Heavy Hitch
    Z950R Tweels

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Some more pics, including the weathervane I picked for my wife's Christmas present last year.
    ==Grizzler
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4700.JPG   IMG_4701.JPG   IMG_4699.JPG   IMG_4680.JPG  
    5065E "Bullfrog" Cab, FEL, snowplow, bale spears, quick-hitch, bucket, 72" Piranha toothbar, pallet forks
    1025R "Tadpole" FEL, MMM, iMatch, tiller, rake, ballast box, backhoe (+BXpanded goodies), roughcutter, land plane, Kenny's Bolt-On hooks/diff-lock pedal/ext iMatch hook, Piranha tooth bar, Psrumor's better seat springs, Artillian forks/front-hoe/front i-Match, LED lights, RIO disable, fire extinguisher, Heavy Hitch
    Z950R Tweels

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,033 Times in 2,513 Posts
    I lined mine with OSB sheeting.

Daughter helping:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09222.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	415506

Name:	DSC09216.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	415514
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

Grizzler (07-23-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:26 PM
    Thanks

2 x 6

I like the idea of the 2 x 6 but would probably space them a few inches apart unless you just like spending . It's pretty easy to shove a hay bale just a little too far and potentially bulge a wall. I think spaced boards would prevent that. You could do solid up to the height of the forks to be sure you don't stick a fork through the side but I think you can avoid that issue by careful driving.

Really nice shed, congratulations!
    Last edited by Treefarmer; 07-23-2017 at 10:11 AM.
    Gizmo2, rtgt, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

Grizzler (07-23-2017)

9. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,951 Times in 2,913 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    I like the idea of the 2 x 6 but would probably space them a few inches apart unless you just like spending . It's pretty easy to shove a hay bale just a little too far and potentially bulge a wall. I think spaced boards would prevent that. You could do solid up to the height of the forks to be sure you don't stick a fork through the side but I think you can avoid that issue by careful driving.

Really nice shed, congratulations?
    Especially for hay storage and possible moisture build up.
    rtgt, BigJim55, Grizzler and 2 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

Grizzler (07-23-2017)

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    12-04-2018 @ 02:50 PM
    Thanks
    Osb works great and adds a ton of strength to the building. I think the 2x6 would look tacky and leave to many voids for things to drop down and inbetween. Nice place for a mouse hangout or other rodents

Brett
    rtgt, BigJim55, Grizzler and 1 others like this.
    2017 5100E CAB H260
    ---FRONTIER BB4296
    ---MX15
    ---MX8
    ---EA 72" GRAPPLE

2017 KUBOTA ZD1211R
    2017 KUBOTA RTV-X1100C
    4K winch, 2”lift, 27s

GONE AND FORGOTTEN
    2013 AND 2014 5055E CAB H240

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rustyshakelford For This Useful Post:

Grizzler (07-23-2017)

13. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Thanks
    Where you stack the round bales, you do not need an additional wall, but where you are getting square bales that is being unloaded by a truck, you will need an additional wall. That way, the truck can push the square bales against it and have a firm stack when the truck pulls out from under the stack. My brothers and I have been doing the same thing for at least 20yrs. I never had a problem with the round bales or the square bales. The wall for the square bales is made by fastening 2x8 to the wood posts horizontally about 2' o/c apart to wherever the height of the stack is going to be. We then fastened 2x6 vertically to the outside of the 2x8, placed about 16" apart o/c. I would use a New Holland 1046 Stackcruiser to unload square bales against the wall and never had an issue. Just use common sense and not push so hard against the wall, like you are trying to drive thru it. On the round bales, I stood them up on end for the first row, then place the second and third normally(horizontal). I would always keep at least a foot away from the wall with the round bales. Let us know what you end up doing, as I am curious on how others are doing it.

Great looking shed!!
    Marlin and RetiredDoc like this.
    2012 JD2520 R4's.
    200CX Loader, 49" bucket
    Imatch quick hitch
    King Kutter 60" tiller
    Howse 60" Box blade
    Howse 16" Single bottom plow
    Dirt Dog 5 Shank Chisel Plow (60")
    Homemade 3pt suitcase weight hitch
    Homemade 3pt 1 row disc hiller
    Homemade (6) shank toothbar
    (4) 2" Motorsports Wheel Spacers
    (7) 70lb suitcase weights
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    Titan 42" pallet forks

14. The Following User Says Thank You to raco232 For This Useful Post:

Grizzler (07-23-2017)

15. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks

Thanks for all the great advice!

Great to learn from all your experiences, thank you everyone!

Due to space constraints, we built narrower than I would have liked, which is why I'm paranoid about the possibility of damage. We will reinforce the walls, allow ventilation, and unload very carefully!

==Grizzler

Quote Originally Posted by raco232 View Post
    Where you stack the round bales, you do not need an additional wall, but where you are getting square bales that is being unloaded by a truck, you will need an additional wall. That way, the truck can push the square bales against it and have a firm stack when the truck pulls out from under the stack. My brothers and I have been doing the same thing for at least 20yrs. I never had a problem with the round bales or the square bales. The wall for the square bales is made by fastening 2x8 to the wood posts horizontally about 2' o/c apart to wherever the height of the stack is going to be. We then fastened 2x6 vertically to the outside of the 2x8, placed about 16" apart o/c. I would use a New Holland 1046 Stackcruiser to unload square bales against the wall and never had an issue. Just use common sense and not push so hard against the wall, like you are trying to drive thru it. On the round bales, I stood them up on end for the first row, then place the second and third normally(horizontal). I would always keep at least a foot away from the wall with the round bales. Let us know what you end up doing, as I am curious on how others are doing it.

Great looking shed!!
    rtgt and Marlin like this.
    Z950R Tweels

16. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:38 PM
    Thanks
    I asked for input from Morton buildings and Leslie buildings when building my two pole barns. I learned what they do and the most practical solution is to go OSB board or plywood to a height of 4 feet. That is where any damage would occur from moving around equipment etc.
    Last edited by meyerld; 07-31-2017 at 09:37 PM.
    Gizmo2, rtgt and Marlin like this.

17. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the advice! We decided from the above ideas to start boarding up the south wall of our new shed, where the hay bales will go. We used 2 x 8 x 8' spruce on 16-inch centers, to a height of almost 11 feet. The horizontal gaps are 12 inches, which should hold back any small square bales that tumble while being delivered. I put in two rows of large round bales to make a backstop for the truckload of small square bales (due later this week or next).

On the north side where the implements will be stored I may continue with the same plan, but add some OSB or plywood to a height of four feet.

Now - does anyone have advice (photos) about the feasibility of pallet racks?

Name:	Hay shed south side.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	432202

Name:	Hay shed moving round bales in.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	3.93 MB 
ID:	432210

Name:	Hay shed round bales.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	3.69 MB 
ID:	432218
    Gizmo2, Bubber, OxPath and 3 others like this.
    Z950R Tweels

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast