Green Tractor Talk banner

Shelter Logic (Garage in a Box)

6K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  bvbearcat 
#1 ·
I've been looking for a temporary (maybe a couple years) storage solution for the tractor and attachments. Reading through a few of the other threads, I'm leaning towards something like ShelterLogic. It's been a few years since any of the threads I read were updated, so I wanted to get some thoughts from folks who have something like this, specifically how they fare in wind and snow.

I'm looking at putting a 4" section of aggregate for the flooring as concrete is not an option at the moment.

It seems like a lot of people like the Carolina Carports, but that's not in the budget. A pole barn is coming in the future, but we have several other projects going on, so like I said this is a 'temporary' solution to get my garage back.

Thanks folks

#2 ·
My in laws use one of these, about 3 yrs max, our guess is because it sees everything from 95 degrees to -20, after the second season we put a heavy tarp over it and they can usually get 1 to 2 more years out of it.

#3 ·
Tractor Time with Tim has a review on his portable shed before he built a permanent building.
I am sure Tim won't mind me linking to one of his Youtube videos. He is always looking for subscribers.

#9 ·
Just something to consider while you are in this phase. When I looked at your link I see what you are looking at costs $800 - don't know about the shipping cost.

I have no idea what this cost me when we built it. A pavillion that is 20'x10'. This sits along the creek and used to use it a lot but since we built our deck on the back of the house we didn't use it much anymore. So it turned into my equipment storage area.

4x4 posts and we made the trusses ourselves from rough sawn lumber. I think the metal roof was the most expensive part.

What I am thinking is maybe you should price out building something like this. If this is only to be for your equipment temporarily it could then become a nice family gathering area for cookouts and such. It works great for that if it rains!

If it wouldn't block my view of the creek I would put 3 sides on it now.

Even if this would cost you 50% more than a tent it is something that you would have forever and not throw away in a couple years.

Property Land lot House Natural landscape Grass

Shed Shack Barn Rural area House

#12 ·
The one thing I would do differently if I were to do it again.... I bolt a treated 2x6 (or 2x8) flat-wise along each side. This would keep the 'feet' lined up, and would help to provide them a bit more protection. There are holes in the feet for this very purpose.

Anything you can do to keep the cover held down so that wind doesn't get under it helps tremendously. As soon as wind gets under it, it wants to fly!

Tim

#14 ·
Don't they supply at least the twist anchors to hold them down? I got 8 (guessing 18" long) with my shelter logic greenhouse.. and put them in the ground with my electric impact wrench... You try those by hand like the instructions say to do and you will be there for a month of Sundays doing so! I have a 1" socket set for my large construction equipment so I had a socket that fit the anchor perfectly, made life so much easier.. But your idea is also a great idea... but you should still anchor the 2X to the ground too... Like you stated, "they will fly away" and in no time! Most stores like TSC sell the anchors or just order them with your shelter logic carport..

Reactions: Robnik
#13 ·
Most of The Shelter Logic structures you are looking at are not made for snow. It may even tell you in the literature about that. If you do get one get the snow off as soon as possible and remove it from the bottom of the sides too when you get it off the roof. It will collapse the structure for sure if you let it build up on the ground around the carport, it will put to much weight on the sides of the structure. I have a shelter logic greenhouse with roll up sides and remove the cover every year and it's about 6 years old now, you can see part of it in my avatar. It has served us well but I would never leave it up for the winter and the instructions tell you they are not rated for snow loads nor high wind areas. I've seen to many of those crushed to death...

#15 ·
Right. They are not rated for, or warrantied against snow or wind. However, the question is, can they get the job done until you can afford more?
In central Indiana, with some TLC, the answer is yes, they can suffice.

$150 is a LOT less than $10,000-30,000 for a pole barn. I wasn't in a financial position to build the barn during our first winter, but I was not about to let Johnny sit outside. The shelterlogic was a great compromise for us.

Tim

#16 ·
Hiya,

Around here they work from May to October, once the snow flies they pancake quickly. The "Garage in a box" is very light duty. If you want one that works with snow, get a round roof and add the extra snow setup along with the truss bars. For snow loads they have to be anchored securely on every pole, not just the ends.

I have a Shelter Logic HD 14x24x12 shelter, I cleared a pad, put down 24x24x3 patio blocks, covered over level with crushed stone and every pole is bolted to the blocks. If each pole isn't bolted solid to the ground, the snow load pushes them out and it smushes flat. Every spring I have to line up the blocks again as they walk from the freeze/thaw.

I also made 2 paths to blow the snow away from the shelter because if you just let it slide off, it will work up on the sides, crushing it from the outside.

It's 3 years old and will need a top in a couple years. It wasn't cheap, I think about $1800 after all said and done with the stone and pads.

They really are a lot of work in the snow belt which is why I'm putting up a metal building soon.

#18 ·
Update: Purchased the Shelter Logic Round Top

After sorting through all the helpful input (huge thank you to Tractor Tim for the video), the wife and I pulled the trigger on a 13'x24'x10' Shelter Logic Round Top from Menards (approx. $500 after mail-in-rebate)
As the colder weather is starting to move in, I really wanted to get my garage back in order so I can park my truck inside.... the 2032r currently resides in the garage.
The first order of business was to clear some overgrowth beside the gravel pad in front of the house. This was my first time using the loader bucket to grade, and it worked like a charm. Could definitely use some more ballast, but all in all I can't complain with the results. I ended up grading about 15'x30' and removed about 4" of soil which was spread into some eroded areas of the yard.

Grass Pasture Vehicle Farm Grass family

Vegetation Natural landscape Grass Nature reserve Tree

Vegetation Grass Natural environment Natural landscape Tree

After smoothing out the pad, it was time for aggregate. I was able to borrow a small dump truck from a farmer friend and we got 10 tons of 57 stone, which was spread with the loader bucket as well.

Vehicle Soil Automotive tire Asphalt Compost

Asphalt Soil Vehicle Automotive tire Driveway

Soil Grass Dirt road Road Tree

Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Agricultural machinery Soil

Grass Natural environment Wilderness Grass family Road

The aggregate could have used some rolling and compaction, but I didn't access to a roller and can't talk the CFO into buying one just yet.
I was able to persuade my dad and brother into helping me with the assembly of the shell and cover. My workbench needed to be closer to the action, so we pulled it out of the garage with the forks! :good2: We may have had some beer :dunno:
The weather wasn't ideal, mid-50's, light rain, and a stiff breeze. From box opening to completion was a little over 4 hours and that includes a half hour lunch break.

Automotive exterior Wheel Tree Vehicle Grass

Vehicle Road Grass Transport Asphalt

Tent Plant community Grass Tree Camping

Vehicle Tractor Agricultural machinery Automotive tire Tire

Tractor Vehicle Agricultural machinery Motor vehicle Outdoor power equipment

Again, thanks to everyone for their input. Here's to hoping this shelter stays operational for a few years! :bigbeer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.