In the beginning stages of getting a pole barn built have a question or 2
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: In the beginning stages of getting a pole barn built have a question or 2

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-25-2019 @ 11:23 PM
    Thanks

In the beginning stages of getting a pole barn built have a question or 2

We are in the middle of the design stage with the pole barn company in building a 40x40x14.4 with a 16x48x16 gable end RV garage attached. I am planning to insulate the slab in the 40x40 section so that I could do a radiant heat floor at some point. I plan to have a lined ceiling and going to get double bubble walls and roof right now, will finish the walls with OSB and batt insulation later on my own when I can save up some more pennies.

I'm in NJ

What are peoples opinions on doing the 2" rigid foamboard and pex tubing before pouring the 5" slab versus just doing gas fired heating blower. I plan to pull natural gas into the pole barn in a separate trench when I do the electric at the same time. I am not looking to be 70 degrees, but more like 40-50 degrees. Melt the snow off vehicles and not freeze things during the winter.
    Gizmo2, MDrew, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    2014- JD 1025r
    L120 59" FEL, 260 BH, 60D MMM
    66"/54" plow with Artillian extension and rubber edge
    Artillian 36" forks
    JD 550 3PT Tiller
    54" spike aerator
    Fimco 3PT 40 gal boom sprayer
    Trac-Vac 580
    CMP 3PT 60" Dethatcher
    51" Lucknow 3PT rear snowblower
    Omni Transformer 3PT weight rack w/ 2" hitch receiver 6-42lbs weights

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    There's nothing like walking on a warm concrete slab in the dead of winter. Install the radiant floor heat, you'll thank me later. Do you pay for natural gas or do you have a natural gas well?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    MDrew, Tractor Tim and Robnik like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:54 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 96PSD View Post
    We are in the middle of the design stage with the pole barn company in building a 40x40x14.4 with a 16x48x16 gable end RV garage attached. I am planning to insulate the slab in the 40x40 section so that I could do a radiant heat floor at some point. I plan to have a lined ceiling and going to get double bubble walls and roof right now, will finish the walls with OSB and batt insulation later on my own when I can save up some more pennies.

I'm in NJ

What are peoples opinions on doing the 2" rigid foamboard and pex tubing before pouring the 5" slab versus just doing gas fired heating blower. I plan to pull natural gas into the pole barn in a separate trench when I do the electric at the same time. I am not looking to be 70 degrees, but more like 40-50 degrees. Melt the snow off vehicles and not freeze things during the winter.
    yes-do the 2inch rigid foam board on top of ur gravel. people around here and salesmen at Lowe's and Home depot back in the winter of 02 talked me into the bubble wrap that was selling like hotcakes-according to them at the time.
    man what a let down, i can heat my floor-at 76*-but i also can then melt the snow off the ground 4 ft away from my foundation outside.
    contractors later on told me that the bubble wrap allowed the pex line's to lay to low in the concrete slab. now i see they have little towers like for ur lines to lay on-thus keeps them more to the top of the slab. i fell in love with walking on a warm floor, from a coal furnace, so i wanted to mi-nick that on our new floor. some day i'm gonna shut off the lines in the floor, and install regular old cast iron radiators along my walls. but after i have new walls built on the inside of my poured walls, then have 2 inches of foam sprayed insulation up against the cement wall-and then whatever it takes to fill the rest of the 2/4 wall.

i've trucked in about all of Jersy yr's ago-and in the wintertime it can be as cold as up in here in the mountains, so i would spend every penny u can on that spray foam, my cousin's husband did it to his house, back when he built after us--and well sitting in house visiting him the last couple winters--before he passed on--his house was way better-than mine..

so go with the best 2 inch board u can get for ur pipes to lay on, and don't forget to cut the wire ends off that tie ur pex lines to the rebar. they claimed they would rust in yrs to come. my wife and boy spent hrs., while i was working-picking them up back then. kinda a waste, that our floor is screwed-oh. it does work-just a waste of fuel to heat it up-to then lose it out out one wall into the ground.
    johnH123, raco232, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    Is this totally an equipment barn/shop, or will you be using part for livestock?
    Robnik likes this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Thanks
    My nephew has been building shops for his own use for 40 years,,
    each one getting better and more comfortable.

He gave up on "pole" construction a couple shops ago,,

To heat the building, there has to be almost zero drafts,,
    structural gaps with pole construction make it difficult to seal a pole building.

So, if you want warmth in the winter,, start with a well sealed structure.
    JMHO,,,
    raco232, JDSwan87 and Robnik like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:59 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    When we built my shop we were going to go a pole barn route. Our township required engineered drawing for one of over 1000 square feet. Mine is 1200 sq ft. 40X30X10.

We decided to do a poured wall foundation. It was about 1000.00 more but when you subtract the cost of the engineered drawings it turned out to be roughy 300 more than a pole barn.

So I have a building with a poured foundation and studded out with 2X6s. Will be much easier to finish off then a pole barn and I also don’t have to worry with the posts rotting away over time.

I’m over in central PA. I think total cost was right around 30,000. That included and struck truss for an upstairs. Otherwise it would have been down around 21000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    BigJim55, raco232 and Robnik like this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:59 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    Oh and a porch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Big Cat, Bubber, BigJim55 and 7 others like this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:20 AM
    Thanks
    I did the same (insulating the floor, preparring for radiant heat) in my recent shed/shop build, here's the thread with pictures, maybe there's something that may help.
    It may be overkill, but I like putting 6mil plastic under the insulation, I don't want the slab to sweat and this step is really hard to do after the pour!!!
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-25-2019 @ 11:23 PM
    Thanks
    I will answer the a few of the questions here.

We have natural gas from PSE&G. Not a well system. Wouldn't that be a windfall to have my own gas well.

I plan to stone the floor then put the 6 mil plastic vapor barrier down and run it up 1'-0" up the sidewall as well then put down the 2" pink R-10 4x8 sheets of foamboard. then staple the pex tubing to the board 300' foot runs thinking 3 zones.

The double bubble wrap is form the walls and roof for condensation control. The ceiling will be lined and the attic space will have 1'-0" vented soffits all around.

With the 40x40 and the 16x48 and cement and utilities pulled in (electric 80amp 2 pole with two other conduits for future solar return and CAT6 cable lines, water, and gas.and installed I am close to 70k
    2014- JD 1025r
    L120 59" FEL, 260 BH, 60D MMM
    66"/54" plow with Artillian extension and rubber edge
    Artillian 36" forks
    JD 550 3PT Tiller
    54" spike aerator
    Fimco 3PT 40 gal boom sprayer
    Trac-Vac 580
    CMP 3PT 60" Dethatcher
    51" Lucknow 3PT rear snowblower
    Omni Transformer 3PT weight rack w/ 2" hitch receiver 6-42lbs weights

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:02 PM
    Thanks
    Some things to look into:

1: I've been led to understand that you want your PEX near the top of the slab, not the bottom, so rather than staple it to your bottom insulation board, you'll
    want to tie it to your rebar or mesh, which should be up on supports to put it slightly above the center of the slab, with the PEX above that. (my plan is wire ties)

2: I'm planning something similar in the next couple of years, and my plan includes a heat zone under the RV bay(which I'll have walled off from the rest of the shop)
    so I don't have to winterize the RV. Keep it at 40 and stop worrying about freezing pipes in the RV, and have the ability to turn it up when I have to do
    maintenance/repair work on the RV instead of doing it when it's either below freezing or above 90. Something to think about.
    tquarles
    1025R FILB with 60" MMM, 48" Kuhn tiller, 60" Howse box blade,
    Howse post hole digger, JD LX60 brush cutter, Bearcat chipper, 3-point broadcast spreader
    Artillian forks and receiver mount, Cyclone Rake.
    Gator TS

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast