Siding installed wrong???
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Siding installed wrong???

  1. Top | #1
    cheesetrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:10 AM
    Location
    Beaver Dam, WI
    Posts
    1,901
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked 172 Times in 147 Posts

    Siding installed wrong???

    I'm removing and exterior door and replacing with a wall. Door came out easy, but sill underneath rotted out. I'm wondering if it's because how the siding is installed. Notice in the picture the channel on the bottom.



    This is the piece that should be at the top of the wall, they just turned it over. Water runs down the siding and pools in this channel. The is how the siding is installed here because of the deck I'm sure but it's wrong. Can anybody in the construction trade let me know?

    Thanks

    Tony


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    pcabe5 likes this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:46 PM
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    233
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 44 Times in 32 Posts
    When I installed siding that j channel was used anywhere you needed a finished edge. That was 20 years ago but I would assume they are still doing it that way.

    Thanks,
    Jeff


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 1025R FILB w/ 60D MMM
    1973 140
    1974 140

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to jphavener For This Useful Post:

    cheesetrain (09-22-2017)

  5. Top | #3
    Fozsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,067
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 165 Times in 128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesetrain View Post
    I'm removing and exterior door and replacing with a wall. Door came out easy, but sill underneath rotted out. I'm wondering if it's because how the siding is installed. Notice in the picture the channel on the bottom.

    This is the piece that should be at the top of the wall, they just turned it over. Water runs down the siding and pools in this channel. The is how the siding is installed here because of the deck I'm sure but it's wrong. Can anybody in the construction trade let me know?

    Thanks

    Tony


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We use this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails download (2).jpg  
    Last edited by Fozsey; 09-21-2017 at 05:20 PM.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, pcabe5 and 1 others like this.


    ~Brian~

    1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)


    Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help


  6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  7. Top | #4
    Fozsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,067
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 165 Times in 128 Posts
    There can be lots of reasons an entry door can fail. I would need more pics but generally unless it's metal wrapped, it requires sealing the threshold and keeping the jam areas painted. Bargain entry doors from home improvement stores are ok if maintenence is kept up but will fail if neglected. The other thing that helps greatly is a quality storm door.
    Gizmo2 and pcabe5 like this.


    ~Brian~

    1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)


    Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help


  8. Top | #5
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    5,663
    Thanks
    1,459
    Thanked 744 Times in 605 Posts
    Not seen it installed with solid j-channel at the bottom. It will do just that, catch water and if it butts up to a corner or a door jamb that isn't flashed correctly it can cause problems. That bottom channel needs to be slotted at the very least but they make a metal starter strip for vinyl that we use here.
    Last edited by pcabe5; 09-21-2017 at 06:22 PM.

  9. Top | #6
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    5,663
    Thanks
    1,459
    Thanked 744 Times in 605 Posts

  10. Top | #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:46 PM
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    233
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 44 Times in 32 Posts

    Siding installed wrong???

    Unless my eyes are way off, the photo he posted is not a full piece of siding so a starter strip wouldn't work. That piece has been cut down. He said this was on a deck so it's possible that at the ends of the deck, the siding extends further down.

    I suppose a larger photo of the area, large enough to see the door opening and deck area would be needed to provide a response for what could have been done better.

    Jeff




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jphavener; 09-21-2017 at 07:13 PM.
    Gizmo2, tj1 and Bumper like this.
    2013 1025R FILB w/ 60D MMM
    1973 140
    1974 140

  11. Top | #8
    Fozsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,067
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 165 Times in 128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jphavener View Post
    Unless my eyes are way off, the photo he posted is not a full piece of siding so a starter strip wouldn't work. That piece has been cut down. He said this was on a deck so it's possible that at the ends of the deck, the siding extends further down.

    I suppose a larger photo of the area, large enough to see the door opening and deck area would be needed to provide a response for what could have been some better.

    Jeff




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is the reason I wanted more pics
    Gizmo2 likes this.


    ~Brian~

    1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)


    Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help


  12. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:46 PM
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    233
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 44 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozsey View Post
    This is the reason I wanted more pics
    Completely missed that you mentioned that! Sorry!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 1025R FILB w/ 60D MMM
    1973 140
    1974 140

  13. Top | #10
    Fozsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,067
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 165 Times in 128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jphavener View Post
    Completely missed that you mentioned that! Sorry!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No apologies necessary....


    ~Brian~

    1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)


    Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help


  14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •