Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree2494Likes

Thread: Barn/Home remodel

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks

Barn/Home remodel

I know some of you folks enjoy following along with projects being completed so I thought I would start a thread of a project I have going on. I'm not good at starting threads and I'm not really sure on how to begin this so guess I'll just dive in and see how it goes. This property was a foreclosure that I purchased in July and after a few months of trying to get things rolling and dealing with contractors for some of the work that's more than I can do alone, finally things are starting to happen. Being foreclosed I have not spoke with any previous owners so my knowledge about the property is from neighbors and so forth. From the stories I have received, this barn was built originally having a 1 bedroom apartment/studio type setup above an open shop space. This appears to be correct information from looking inside the service panel, circuits are labeled for various pieces of equipment that I assume was in the shop at one time. At some point another building was constructed on the property apparently to become the shop space and the main level was finished out to be living space. I believe the original owners very much so cared for the property however over the years and with the transfer of ownership, the entire property was rather rough when I purchased it. The land was extremely overgrown which gave the 3520 and bushhog a nice workout in getting the overgrowth of weeds and saplings cuts down. Other than the barn/home all other structures on the property have been or are in the process of being torn down due to various reasonings. Here are a few pictures of the property prior to any construction work being done on the exterior.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.png   image.jpeg  
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ky_shawn For This Useful Post:

BigJim55 (10-28-2017), etcallhome (10-29-2017), Gizmo2 (10-28-2017), pcabe5 (10-28-2017), Rope_Chucker (11-24-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Here are some photos of the interior prior to starting any work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

image.jpeg  
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:40 AM
    Thanks
    looks like a great project to follow
    etcallhome, pcabe5, Bubber and 5 others like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Being as I have been at the mercy of contractors since purchasing I have basically just been playing around waiting. I started with replacing the windows as they was in horrible shape then I started removing tile and gutting the master bathroom. The ceramic tile was easy enough to remove, the slate that was put down in the area around the exterior doors was a pain. I spent a lot of time with a 2lb sledge and chisel beating and banging that stuff only to have it come up in small flakes at a time. I pressure washed the exterior to determine if it was salvageable and in general cleaned up around the property with the tractor doing the majority of the labor. I am having contractors build a lean too on each side of the barn. One lean too will become a garage while the other will become a covered deck for the main level. They are also building a covered deck across the back for the upstairs. After a long wait they have finally started on the exterior work and that has given me a new motivation to continue with the interior. There is only so much playing around you can do before you lose interest in a project so I'm looking forward to updating this thread as it progresses. The garage side is underway and hopefully things will happen quickly. Here are some pics of the footers, slab, and framing that has begun. There is also a pic of a barn that I gave to the contractors to go by. The finished product will not look identical to the photo however it's general ideal. This is a barn and by golly I want it to look like one when finished.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.png   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 10-28-2017 at 09:36 PM.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The pastures had grown to heights taller than the cab of the tractor. Several trees had fallen over the years and the fences was, well let's just say the fences was present but that's about it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    looks like a great project to follow
    I hope for a great project to follow and do. It's gotten off to a rough start. Amazes me at how many contractors I spoke with who tried to talk me into doing less work. Seems like everyone I spoke with wanted work they could be in/out of in a couple days making quick money. Finding someone to commit to the entire exterior was hard. Finally settled letting someone with the manpower do all of the exterior work with exception of the downstairs deck. I am on my own for the main level deck and all interior work but that's fine. I have never hired for much interior work to be done anyways. I'm just worried that winter is rapidly approaching and they are just now starting. We had 3 months of border line drought but they never showed up. Now they are ready to work and there has been more rain in the past 2 weeks than we've had all summer long.
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 10-28-2017 at 02:48 PM.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Here are some additional photos of the property the day after the auction and contracts was signed. My second visit to the property and I was really asking myself "why did I want this?" Closed on the property in July and started picking up the mess and hauling it away.

image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

11. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,953 Times in 2,914 Posts
    I'm in.
    etcallhome, pcabe5, Bubber and 7 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

12. Top | #9
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    I'm along for the ride.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    02-06-2019 @ 05:50 PM
    Thanks
    I really like it. How many acres you got there?
    ,Sleepy- "Living the dream!" -- 2017 2032R w/ loader and backhoe; JD Z930M 60"

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast