12x20 tractor shed/garage has arrived!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 12x20 tractor shed/garage has arrived!

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 06:54 AM
    Thanks

Finally took delivery of my new 12x20 tractor building for the Deere's and other associated property care equipment! Before I ordered the building from the good folks in PA, I calculated the materials cost to build it myself and just couldn't touch the cost of the materials for the cost of a quality, ready built building such as the one that I purchased. In addition to the materials cost, the cost of my time sealed the deal on the pre-built unit as I'd rather use my free time (what little there actually is) doing other things vs. spending every weekend for a month constructing a storage building.

Here is a pic of it being delivered to the pad site that I prepared...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140709_125028.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	712.2 KB 
ID:	30229

So far, it appears to be a solid building and of identical quality to a similar building that my parents purchased from the same builder 20 years ago... The floor has joists that are positioned/nailed 8" O.C. so it's plenty strong for a car, truck, skid steer, etc. Anyway, my question is... What recommendations do you have as far as a coating that I can put on the pressure treated 3/4" plywood floor to protect it from staining and penetration from hydraulic fluid, diesel fuel, gas, etc.? I'd like to put something down, that is if something exists, that will protect the wood floor as I don't want to smell hydraulic fluid, diesel fuel, gas, etc., as I slowly drip it inadvertently on an uncoated wood floor.

Some of my thoughts ranged from 1/4" plywood on top of the floor to protect the 3/4" floor and possibly coating the 1/4" plywood and then tossing it when it gets nasty, heavy duty rubber mat of some sort, or some sort of a sealed vinyl flooring?

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks in advance guys.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, fdmars and 4 others like this.
    John Deere 1026R (MY 2012) Purchased April 2013
    H120 FEL with 49" bucket, Ken's 5/16" Bolt on Hooks & BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    60D (7-iron) Autoconnect MMM
    JD 3-Bag MCS w/Honda GC160 Power "Pak"
    260 BH with 12" bucket
    Artillian 42"x3" Forks w/2" Receiver
    48" EA XTreme Duty Box Blade
    36" EA Independent Wheel Lawn Aerator w/Alternating Depth Tines
    52" Ratchet Rake
    iMatch QH

2003 John Deere LX266
    42" Freedom Mulching Deck
    Larger LX model wheels/tires

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks

Maybe check and see what trailer manufactures put in their car haulers. I would think some kind of deck sealant may work also.

On a side note I like the smell of most fluids with gear oil being the exception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DRobinson likes this.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to felixm22 For This Useful Post:

Green Man (07-11-2014)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by felixm22 View Post
    Maybe check and see what trailer manufactures put in their car haulers. I would think some kind of deck sealant may work also.

On a side note I like the smell of most fluids with gear oil being the exception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree to an extent, especially about the gear oil!

I called the Sherwin-Williams and they indicated that they have an industrial product that may meet my needs so need to check out what they have, but still open to other suggestions/experiences/recommendations...
    H120 FEL with 49" bucket, Ken's 5/16" Bolt on Hooks & BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    260 BH with 12" bucket
    52" Ratchet Rake
    iMatch QH

2003 John Deere LX266

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,218 Posts
    I purchased a similar type building to house my 2720 and other equipment. I went with a 14x32. Instead of a plywood floor it has a type of composite flooring called LP Smart Flooring that is coated to resist moisture. If water gets on it and you wipe it up right away it does not leave a stain. But if you spill a petroleum product it will stain even though it does not appear to soak in.

But... I originally had ideas of painting or coating it and I could not find anything that was suitable. The place I bought it said that even though I had the floor with 8" centers that was rated over 400 PSI it would still flex and cause any paint or coating to crack and peel at the seams. I was also concerned that anything that would stand up to heavy use would also probably be slippery when wet.

I searched for a month while the garage was being built and found nothing. A few paints that I found specifically said "not for flooring" on the can.

So I just left it bare. Yes, those first few oil spots were painful but now I'm over it. I do everything I can to minimize stains. If I spill something I immediately give it a squirt of Fantastik and wipe it up. But it's now been a year and there are lots of little and medium sized stains... oil, hydro fluid, gasoline, diesel fuel, etc.

For winter I have a 7 x 14 thick rubber mat with ribs that I roll out. The tractor, blower and rear blade fit with room to spare. All the melting snow collects on the mat and I vacuum it up with a shop vac. When warm weather arrives I roll the mat up and hang it on the wall. It weighs around 70 lbs. I bought it on Ebay and it is sold as a garage floor covering. It is very thick and heavy. Even with my loaded rear tires and chains it does not cut or damage the mat.

Hopefully you will have better luck than I did in finding a suitable floor coating. If not, I recommend going Commando and just being as careful as you can. It's only the first few stains that hurt. :-)
    Green Man likes this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

Green Man (07-11-2014)

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    I don't have any experience with a floor covering that I can recommend but Amazon has several options try this link: Amazon.com: Garage Oil Abzorb Mat for Under Cars, Size 3' x 8', Ships for $2.99: Automotive

and then scroll down for other options. Good luck.
    Last edited by Uncle Wayne; 07-11-2014 at 05:56 AM. Reason: misspelled the word try. How hard is that to do?
    Green Man and farmgirl19 like this.
    Wayne
    2013 JD 4520 CUT with 400X FEL
    1942 LA John Deere
    1910 John Deere Freight Wagon (restored)
    1946 John Deere Series 300 two disk plow

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Wayne For This Useful Post:

farmgirl19 (07-11-2014), Green Man (07-11-2014)

11. Top | #6
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,953 Times in 2,914 Posts
    Horse stall mats from TSC?
    This is an old picture but they are still there. Bought these because the tire chains would slide on the concrete, a lot.
    Oil and the like wipes right up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0195_1.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	30238
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

farmgirl19 (07-11-2014), Green Man (07-11-2014)

13. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    If you want to get really crazy call one of the places that does spray in bed-liners for pickup trucks and ask them for a quote on spraying the entire floor.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

Green Man (07-11-2014)

15. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I purchased a similar type building to house my 2720 and other equipment. I went with a 14x32. Instead of a plywood floor it has a type of composite flooring called LP Smart Flooring that is coated to resist moisture. If water gets on it and you wipe it up right away it does not leave a stain. But if you spill a petroleum product it will stain even though it does not appear to soak in.

But... I originally had ideas of painting or coating it and I could not find anything that was suitable. The place I bought it said that even though I had the floor with 8" centers that was rated over 400 PSI it would still flex and cause any paint or coating to crack and peel at the seams. I was also concerned that anything that would stand up to heavy use would also probably be slippery when wet.

I searched for a month while the garage was being built and found nothing. A few paints that I found specifically said "not for flooring" on the can.

So I just left it bare. Yes, those first few oil spots were painful but now I'm over it. I do everything I can to minimize stains. If I spill something I immediately give it a squirt of Fantastik and wipe it up. But it's now been a year and there are lots of little and medium sized stains... oil, hydro fluid, gasoline, diesel fuel, etc.

For winter I have a 7 x 14 thick rubber mat with ribs that I roll out. The tractor, blower and rear blade fit with room to spare. All the melting snow collects on the mat and I vacuum it up with a shop vac. When warm weather arrives I roll the mat up and hang it on the wall. It weighs around 70 lbs. I bought it on Ebay and it is sold as a garage floor covering. It is very thick and heavy. Even with my loaded rear tires and chains it does not cut or damage the mat.

Hopefully you will have better luck than I did in finding a suitable floor coating. If not, I recommend going Commando and just being as careful as you can. It's only the first few stains that hurt. :-)
    You know, I started to come to this conclusion as well... wood is wood and it does flex, unlike concrete. Thanks for the detail and I'm thinking that the rubber mat idea that you and others have mentioned may be the ticket! I would assume that a good rubber mat / horse stall mat will be impervious to oil, hydro fluid, fuel, gas, etc., especially if spills are wiped up quickly?
    260 BH with 12" bucket
    52" Ratchet Rake
    iMatch QH

2003 John Deere LX266

16. Top | #9
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,953 Times in 2,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    You know, I started to come to this conclusion as well... wood is wood and it does flex, unlike concrete. Thanks for the detail and I'm thinking that the rubber mat idea that you and others have mentioned may be the ticket! I would assume that a good rubber mat / horse stall mat will be impervious to oil, hydro fluid, fuel, gas, etc., especially if spills are wiped up quickly?
    Does for me. Mats have been down 2 years now and look like they did when I first put them down. Yes our tractor leaks hydraulic fluid.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

17. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    I would assume that a good rubber mat / horse stall mat will be impervious to oil, hydro fluid, fuel, gas, etc., especially if spills are wiped up quickly?
    I can't speak for the horse stall mat but the large garage mat I purchased has a smooth glossy finish along with the ribs. The ribs trap the melting snow during the summer. I have vacuumed off as much as 3 gallons and it never ran onto the floor. It appears to be immune to oil and gas. I've always wiped up gas right away but oil has stayed on it for a week or longer with no ill effects.

If you are interested I can try to find details on the mat I purchased.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast