• 7 Post By JimR
  • 2 Post By rustyshakelford

Thread: Unheated/uninsulated building with concrete floor

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-14-2019 @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks

Unheated/uninsulated building with concrete floor

All, I'm considering building an outbuilding (either metal building or pole barn) for equipment/vehicle cold storage. This is at a secondary property and I don't believe it would be worthwhile to heat it other than when I am there. So, it will be unheated for a fair amount of time. In Upstate NY we get a lot of snow.

I saw some reference to unheated concrete floors heaving in these conditions. The entire space will be unheated most of the time, and I suppose since it will be unheated most of the time there probably isn't much point in insulating it. Thoughts about this? I would like to put a loft in that is occasionally used as living space.

I'm looking for everyone's input.

Also for a large building (ie 40x60) what is the most effective way to heat it up on demand? I was thinking about something wood fired.
    BigJim55, keane and PJR832 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    Heaving is all about water. You either need to build up the area so that it is higher than the surrounding ground level and pour a slab on top of that or put in a frost wall foundation. Either will keep water from sitting under the main floor area. No water, no heaving. People do this all over the northern tier of States with very few problems.

As for heating, a big wood stove (or two!) is probably the fastest way to get it warmed up. It may take a while to get the slab itself warmed up. That can cause your feet to get cold even after the ambient temps come up.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    12-04-2018 @ 02:50 PM
    Thanks
    I have a torpedo heater for my shop I think it’s a ac-190. 190k btu and fueled by diesel or kerosene. I’d use it to heat the shop while getting the wood stove going. It smells a little with diesel but gets things toasty. For the living quarters I’m assuming your loft will be above the shop? The Concrete would act as a huge heat sink and take a while to warm up

Brett
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    2017 5100E CAB H260
    ---FRONTIER BB4296
    ---MX15
    ---MX8
    ---EA 72" GRAPPLE

2017 KUBOTA ZD1211R
    2017 KUBOTA RTV-X1100C
    4K winch, 2”lift, 27s

GONE AND FORGOTTEN
    2013 AND 2014 5055E CAB H240

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:54 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jermedic View Post
    All, I'm considering building an outbuilding (either metal building or pole barn) for equipment/vehicle cold storage. This is at a secondary property and I don't believe it would be worthwhile to heat it other than when I am there. So, it will be unheated for a fair amount of time. In Upstate NY we get a lot of snow.

I saw some reference to unheated concrete floors heaving in these conditions. The entire space will be unheated most of the time, and I suppose since it will be unheated most of the time there probably isn't much point in insulating it. Thoughts about this? I would like to put a loft in that is occasionally used as living space.

I'm looking for everyone's input.

Also for a large building (ie 40x60) what is the most effective way to heat it up on demand? I was thinking about something wood fired.
    the garage my dad built was almost that large-his is a odd size-34 wide by 58 long. his ceiling height is a t 16 ft, so a 14 ft door could be installed. back then he had a tandem wood truck, with a Prentice loader mounted on it. the bad thing in his, he never closed off the ceiling, when i had my flat bed trailer in there for a week, with a coal and wood fire, we melted the snow off the roof, the 2nd night. all the heat goes to the roof. if i had kept working, i was gonna close the rafters off, to help with the heat.

u said a bout a wood stove-ok-warm at one end, froze at the other. gonna need duct work for the far end for sure. we used a torpedo heater for the far end. then it wasn't too bad. but it takes the wood to feed our stove.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements