Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Size of garage/small shop

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:34 AM
    Thanks

Size of garage/small shop

Ok guys the mini farm with the big buildings deal fell thru so I'm looking at two different plans now
    First... stay in the subdivision I'm in and build a small garage/shop
    Or
    Second ... buy a piece of ground build a new house and a shop
    I have a lawn mower, gator, and a 2038. I like to do small repairs myself instead of paying for it. Have 3 snowmobiles as well to maintain.
    What size isn't the smallest you guys would do?
    In the subdivision I do have a buddy I can store the tractor in and the gator if needed so I'm thinking a 18x24 or a 20x30 as I have to be less than a 1000 square feet. My biggest concern is that I spend the money on a building in here and when I do want to sell I'll never be able to get rid of it at the value because it seems most people don't want an outbuilding. If I buy a place and bui.d new I'm thinking of 24x36 with 9 or 10 ft sides
    Thoughts? Thanks
    MDrew and PJR832 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 09:14 PM
    Thanks
    IMHO, hold out for the minifarm. Be patient, it will happen.
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 3 others like this.
    4066R open station

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    12-12-2018 @ 03:10 PM
    Thanks
    For the longest time all I had was a 900sq ft 3-car garage and did everything in there - I had at that time 2 cars, a truck, a jeep and 5 motorcycles - plus my welders and my reloading bench. It was tight, but if you lay things out just so, you can really optimize the space with very little wasted area. The key for me was a L shaped fixed workbench in one corner with several other workbenches on casters (all at my preferred 39" work height) - makes it easy to move things from one work area to another. I also had over 50 linear feet of wall cabinets - mounted fairly high up on the walls (bottoms were at around 5' off the floor) to keep things organized and still have usable wall space to store things on pegboard. It's all about maximum utilization of space.

When I was finally able to afford a shop....well I don't think you can have a shop that is to large.

I sold the place above and I am currently in a large-ish acreage (+/- 1 acre) subdivision with a 1500sq ft shop and 1200sq ft attached garage and now find the land and shop size to confining. This might be because I retired pretty early and have lots of time and energy on my hands and can get into all sorts of trouble! So I bought 3+ acres in the county but on the outskirts of town to build a new home with a 1800 sq ft attached garage plus a 3500sq ft shop.

I do all my own maintenance/repairs/fab on 11 different cars/trucks/motorcycles, plus futzing around on whatever strikes my fancy. My current shop has 12' ceilings and the new one will have a combination of 14' & 16'.

This is my last place I'll probably have. This new place will suit me for the next 30 years. Thats how I look at it to justify the expense.

Around here you better have a shop if you want to sell.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, MDrew and 4 others like this.
    2017 4044R Open Station, eHydro, iMatch, H180 MSL loader & R4's.
    Power Beyond (BLV10969), 3rd EH SCV (BLV10764),
    John Deere 485A Backhoe with HD 18" Bucket & mechanical thumb,
    Frontier AP12F 48" Pallet Forks, BB2072 Box Blade, RC2072 Rotary Cutter,
    PHD200 Post Hole Digger w/12" Auger, Titan Ballast Box, FIMCO 3pt Sprayer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    I had to move because of my job,, had a 30x50 full concrete insulated and heated shed plus a30x50 non heated for storage
    To a 2 car small car attached garage and a 10x16 lawn mower building.
    If I knew it would still resell well I'd build here in the subdivision but scared it won't
    MDrew and PJR832 like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:45 PM
    Thanks
    What ever you do build right up to max square feet you can. Never enough room in my opinion. I’m batting around building another garage. As far as side walls, depends what your going to do. My current shop I wish I had higher ceiling/sidewalls so I could have a hoist and get my 5th wheel in. My 2 cents.
    mjncad, ejb69, MDrew and 4 others like this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

8. Top | #6
    Hey, I want a title too! ZachinCO's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-31-2019 @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmich View Post
    What ever you do build right up to max square feet you can. Never enough room in my opinion. I’m batting around building another garage. As far as side walls, depends what your going to do. My current shop I wish I had higher ceiling/sidewalls so I could have a hoist and get my 5th wheel in. My 2 cents.
    Pretty much ^This!!

The place we bought has a 40x60 shop/barn. Half the floor is concrete, the other half dirt. It might be large enough once I get the real "barn" built.

Id park everything you have in the fashion you want to have it inside, then measure the perimeter. Then think is that big enough to grow a little?
    Build the biggest you can afford.
    mjncad, MDrew, jdmich and 4 others like this.
    MINE!! 2016 New Holland T4.75

In-Laws 2006 4520-400 CX FEL-RC2072-Land Pride FS700-Rhino Box Blade-7' Plow Blade-CountyLine PHD
    In-Laws 2003 2210-210 FEL-54C MMM

My Sons IH Cub Cadet Originals- 62-Running;62-Restoration;61-Parts Donor

My social media~ https://www.instagram.com/zwhewitt_photos/

9. Top | #7
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    How big is your lot? How is it laid out?
    MDrew, Marlin and PJR832 like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Lots of trees and big slope to water
    Got about .3 acres flat left
    pcabe5, MDrew and PJR832 like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 02:47 PM
    Thanks
    If your max is 1000 sq ft, then you should build a 1000 sq ft shop!

In all seriousness, especially in the semi-urban sub division where size is dictated by code, I would build the max allowable.
    Also, I would suggest a minimum of 14' sidewalls, 16' if you can. This will allow for taller doors and higher ceiling. Legal height is 13'6", so if you want to put a camper in later you will need the height.
    Or like mentioned, if you ever want to add a lift.

I'm looking at a 36x50 as I'm limited to 1800 sq ft. I'll apply for a varience to get 16' sidewalls over the 14' per code to allow for taller doors and the possibility of still putting a loft in it.

Last thing to keep in mind is the almighty $$$. Doesn't do any good to build it if you can't afford it!
    mjncad, MDrew, Marlin and 1 others like this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Thanks
    I agree with others. If you are going to build on your property, go with the biggest you can by code. If limited by budget. Do a layout that will allow for expansion later. Also you are in IA so put insulation down and PEX for in floor heat before pouring the floor. Even if you don't plan on heating it today, it isn't that much more to do and will add to the value later. Way too expensive to retrofit.

As for size, you will make do with what you have. I know plenty of people that do a lot out of a little space but they have to get more creative and make compromises. If you have more space you don't have all those limits. I have a 1500 sqft shop now and we are talking about adding a 3 car garage to the house.
    mjncad, MDrew and PJR832 like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast