• 3 Post By Rope_Chucker
  • 2 Post By Minuteman17

Thread: Barn prices

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:45 PM
    Thanks

Barn prices

I'm looking into building a workshop barn 48'w x 60'L x 12' or 15' H, potentially depending on cost. My goal is to house my farm equipment and to store hay on the sides of it. I would like it to have a concrete pad and for it be be insulated in addition to having lean-to's on the sides. I would also need it to be graded, water, electrical.

Ive reached out to Morton building, a locate barn builder and general steel for builders.

Few questions / recommendations, Should I reach out to anyone else? and what is a ball park of a good price?

Iv'e reviewed pricing back from Morton and i'm not sure of their pricing.
    I'm in the state of Georgia.
    Rope_Chucker, ZachinCO and Robnik like this.
    -J.R.
    5065E MFWD
    D140 Lawn Mower / R1 rear tires / Ribs front

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:57 AM
    Thanks
    I just purchased a 30x50x12 w/50 lean-to from Reed’s Metal in Mississippi. They are the most polite & friendliest business I have ever dealt with. They just delivered materials today. Here is a link to their locations: https://reedsmetals.com/location

When the rain stops long enough, they will start building.
    Robnik likes this.
    2012 JD2520 R4's.
    200CX Loader, 49" bucket
    Imatch quick hitch
    King Kutter 60" tiller
    Howse 60" Box blade
    Howse 16" Single bottom plow
    Dirt Dog 5 Shank Chisel Plow (60")
    Homemade 3pt suitcase weight hitch
    Homemade 3pt 1 row disc hiller
    Homemade (6) shank toothbar
    (4) 2" Motorsports Wheel Spacers
    (7) 70lb suitcase weights
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    Titan 42" pallet forks

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    01-06-2019 @ 07:14 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgia_Johndeere View Post
    I'm looking into building a workshop barn 48'w x 60'L x 12' or 15' H, potentially depending on cost. My goal is to house my farm equipment and to store hay on the sides of it. I would like it to have a concrete pad and for it be be insulated in addition to having lean-to's on the sides. I would also need it to be graded, water, electrical.

Ive reached out to Morton building, a locate barn builder and general steel for builders.

Few questions / recommendations, Should I reach out to anyone else? and what is a ball park of a good price?

I still haven't pulled the trigger on my barn, but I can tell you that after talking to other folks up here (Michigan), I didn't even bother contacting Morton. Their quotes were sky high! I've had four other quotes and price per foot has been all over the board for the same size building and same options 30x40. All I can say is shop around.

Any Amish in your neck of the woods?
    Robnik and bvbearcat like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:39 PM
    Thanks
    Goodwork beat me to it, but hold on to your hat when you see the quote for the Morton. They have good stuff, but they really know it.

Have a look around your area at various buildings, and see if you can see the names on them. That is how I ended up with a Cleary building being built. Probably not the best in the world, but on par with everyone. When it comes right down to it, pole barns are built with similar parts. The posts can be different, but you still have the same basic structure.

My quote from Morton was twice as much as everyone else I had gotten a quote from. To top it off, that was just materials, not them building it.

You may find someone that does it all, but you may also want to consider having someone do your excavating, someone else electrical, water etc.
    Robnik likes this.
    -1967 110 RF with 20 hp V-twin

-1959 Wizard garden tractor

- 1990 870 utility with 440 loader

- 1950 B

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    When you refer to a workshop barn, are you talking about a place to keep horses, with an included workshop area? Or are you talking about a big workshop disguised to look like a barn?

I had a center aisle barn the same size you want built about 2 years ago for 4 horses, plus workshop, plus hay and feed storage, plus tackroom with bathroom, plus wash stall. Hot and cold water, 100A electric service with 220V for 2 heat pumps/AC units, electric water heater, and MIG welder power, and paved storage for tractor and implements.

Custom built by a great crew who build one barn at a time, so no down time while jobs being juggled. Done in 2 months. The whole package included site prep, electric service, tie in to well for water, barn's own septic tank and field, concrete work.... basically a turn key package for a flat price, with no surprise add-ons.

All for about the same as some prefabs, and done by a local builder with an excellent reputation. Here's his web site, if you're on the east side of Georgia, check him out.

https://yoderbuilderssc.com/Home.php
    Robnik likes this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

8. Top | #6
    Hey, I want a title too! ZachinCO's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-31-2019 @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks
    The builder I'm in talks with now isn't in GA, so I'm no help there.

I did start with Morton, but it was like dealing with a snooty car salesmen. He provided a heavily inflated quote and my wife and I inquired about some changes to his quote and we never heard back from him. His loss...

A few things though that I think one should take into consideration.

• What type of footings do they provide?
    • How much of the work is "in house"; ie subs
    • What is included with the build? ie: Electric/Water/etc.
    • Warranty?

There may be other things, but I can't think of them now.

My 40x60 was onsite already when we bought our house. It is insulated in the fact there is foam board up. While it does help, framing and insulating properly would keep in warmer. It has lean to's on both sides for critters to get out of the weather. If it was just a shop(which it will be someday) I think 40x60 would be fine for me. I believe my walls are 15', not sure 12' would work for me.

Rope_Chucker and Robnik like this.
    MINE!! 2016 New Holland T4.75

In-Laws 2006 4520-400 CX FEL-RC2072-Land Pride FS700-Rhino Box Blade-7' Plow Blade-CountyLine PHD
    In-Laws 2003 2210-210 FEL-54C MMM

My Sons IH Cub Cadet Originals- 62-Running;62-Restoration;61-Parts Donor

My social media~ https://www.instagram.com/zwhewitt_photos/

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goodworkstractors View Post
    I still haven't pulled the trigger on my barn, but I can tell you that after talking to other folks up here (Michigan), I didn't even bother contacting Morton. Their quotes were sky high! I've had four other quotes and price per foot has been all over the board for the same size building and same options 30x40. All I can say is shop around.

Any Amish in your neck of the woods?
    No, No Amish that im aware of at least. I know there is a small community in Fl and in NC.
    Robnik likes this.
    -J.R.
    5065E MFWD

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:03 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgia_Johndeere View Post

Just a tip here if you ever think you might want to store hay INSIDE, go up to about 17' so stacker wagons can get in and drop stacks. Don't ask me how I know...my barn is 14' high
    coaltrain, Robnik and bfloyd4445 like this.
    Terry
    World Series of Team Roping member
    John Deere 2440
    Howse bush hog
    J-Bar 7' blade, rake & post hole digger made by somebody
    bunch of home made pull-toys, groomer, bale spears
    Dodge dually '03

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredDoc View Post
    When you refer to a workshop barn, are you talking about a place to keep horses, with an included workshop area? Or are you talking about a big workshop disguised to look like a barn?

I had a center aisle barn the same size you want built about 2 years ago for 4 horses, plus workshop, plus hay and feed storage, plus tackroom with bathroom, plus wash stall. Hot and cold water, 100A electric service with 220V for 2 heat pumps/AC units, electric water heater, and MIG welder power, and paved storage for tractor and implements.

Custom built by a great crew who build one barn at a time, so no down time while jobs being juggled. Done in 2 months. The whole package included site prep, electric service, tie in to well for water, barn's own septic tank and field, concrete work.... basically a turn key package for a flat price, with no surprise add-ons.

All for about the same as some prefabs, and done by a local builder with an excellent reputation. Here's his web site, if you're on the east side of Georgia, check him out.

https://yoderbuilderssc.com/Home.php
    To answer your question, half enclosed workshop and half hay storage, with a future place to put one stall.
    -J.R.
    5065E MFWD

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:44 AM
    Thanks

Steel building

40x50 with 14' ceiling and two 9w x 12' high doors and one 9w x 10 high door and one 18w x 10 high door. 9" insulation in ceiling, 6" insulation in walls, 4' overhang on one 50' side above the 9x10 and 18x10 doors. 110 mph wind resistant insulated roll up doors, 6 insulated skylights, one walk thru door. 5" extra reinforced concrete foundation, one 3' x 6' insulated double pane window. Large concrete pads outside every door. LED lighting, plenty of 110 and 220 single phase power outlets. No water inside. I dug the ditch from main power to the building.

Including survey ($1200), foundation engineering ($450), concrete inside and out ($40,000), electric labor ($1200), permits ($1000), erection labor ($12,500), and the building itself (delivered, inc tax $26,000), plus some stuff I can't think of now, total was $83,000+

Worth every penny, but not cheap. Buy a steel building and you find that doors and windows are extra. I bought the building spec'd the way I wanted it and hired all the other experts: foundation, erection, etc. Separately. I also chose roof and walls that reflect UV for less heat inside in summer. Colors makes a difference. Choose wisely.

I bought and installed air lines and compressor, 10,000 lb two post lift, pallet racks, work bench, tool storage cabinets, frig, MDF walls up to 8' high all around, painted white for more light, etc. YMMV

Have fun. Do more research than you think necessary. You'll be happier.
    Last edited by Minuteman17; 02-22-2018 at 01:13 AM.
    Georgia_Johndeere and Cutty72 like this.
    2016 1025R FILB with Flames, iMatch, 647 tiller, 2048 heavy box blade, LP20840 Sprayer, SS1036B spreader, Fit Rite Top 'n Tilt, 54" MMM & BM 0827 mulch kit, Mower Deck Axles & Wheels, Loyal 4x4 drag harrow, Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks, BXpanded BH dolly & Piranha tooth bar, Heavy Hitch ripper with 8" & 12" plows, Suitcase Weight & Receiver Hitch, Front Weight Bracket, 8 x 42# weights, Artillian 36" forks with backrest & hitch receiver, hood & side panel sound insulation. And a Smile!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Minuteman17 For This Useful Post:

Cutty72 (02-22-2018)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements