• 5 Post By JimR
  • 4 Post By RetiredDoc

Thread: Barn Fires

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks

Barn Fires

Was at a friends house in rural Ohio one day and a barn about 1/4 mi away caught fire. We noticed the smoke first. Then as we watched the entire structure was engulfed in flames. Old weathered barn. Farmer stored hay inside. In 15 minutes it was a pile of ash. Fire dept showed up and sprayed the embers. Absolutely shocking how fast the entire structure went up.

Here is a really good article concerning Barn Fires...Jan,Feb,Mar three worse months. 700pm to 0700am worse times. Heaters, elec equip largest cause.

Barn Fire Safety - Fire Safety In Barns
    Gizmo2, flyweight and Herminator like this.
    Bob - 2011 2520

2520 Mods - http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...2520-mods.html
    Posted for general info only. Not suggesting you alter your tractor based upon my feeble minded posts. Do so at your own risk. Maintenance and mods should be performed by a JD Dealer, or refer to your owners and maintenance manuals for proper procedures.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bulitt For This Useful Post:

JimR (02-22-2018), Stablenickers (08-11-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 AM
    Thanks
    Been on several over the years. They go up fast, most have heavy fire load in them, are dry and usually remote and by the time they are discovered fire has a hell of a head start before FD can’t get there. Worst fear at home is our barns. Don’t even want to think of it.
    BigJim55, flyweight and Herminator like this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:24 AM
    Thanks
    I hate to see the old wood barns go. The one on my farm was taken out by wind. We thought tornado, but weather service said "straight line" winds. Blew door off, took off 1/2 the roof, blew the back off the stone foundation.

The next farm over, owner burnt theirs, (at least 4th or 5th owners), it was not being used, and they told me they wanted try and lower their tax burden.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    Besides here, I also participate on-line in a group of "homesteaders". They're mostly suburban wanna-be-farmer types who's hearts are in the right places but don't think things through. Every winter there are horror stories of barns, chicken coops, etc.. burning.

If you've got animals and/or hay/straw stored in a building, that building is going go be coated with dust. That dust will ignite and burn in a hurry. Fires spread fast in that environment and you've got a building full of fuel to keep it going. If the fire dept does get there, they're just going to hang back and try to keep it from spreading to other buildings.

I keep seeing people asking how to get electricity out to their barns/coops so they can run heaters for their animals when it gets cold. The animals don't need it. They're fine. I don't want electricity or heat anywhere near my coops.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    From some data about 10 years ago, about 25 percent of all accidental structural (including both houses and barns) fires were caused by electric fans. Almost every horse barn has fans of varying quality mounted above or in front of each horse stall to keep the horses cool. Many folks use cheap plastic box fans. These cheaper box fans have open motor windings, and in a barn they are frequently covered with dust, hay chaff, or worse, flammable spider webs
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements