Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Duke Snyder

Thread: Just a thought.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 06:11 AM
    Thanks

Just a thought.

I have a nice heated woodworking shop with a wood floor.
    I also have a nice large, unheated 2 year old pole barn with a concrete floor & unfinished interior.

After snow is on the ground, I cannot work on any of my snow equipment or my vehicles in my woodshop because of the wood floor.

My only option is to work on equipment in the cold pole barn. or in the driveway.
    I have no desire to make part of the barn a finished shop.

Today while I was getting materials at a big box store, I saw a display for canopies. They had a 12' X 26' size with just a roof covering, the sides were open.
    I got to thinking about setting one of these inside the pole barn in the winter for a work area.
    Tarps could be used to close up the sides & ends. An electric heater would take the chill off when working.
    I could even park the tractor in it when it is very cold, to make starting easier.

Anyone tried anything like this?
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:19 AM
    Thanks
    I have this one and it works really well in heating up my pole barn garage. Dyna-Glo Delux 70K - 125K BTU LP Forced Air Heater - Tractor Supply Co. It is variable between 70,000 BTU and 125,000 BTU. You can point it wherever you want the heat without having to heat up the entire area, although of course, some of the heat goes there anyway. They require the 100lb size propane tanks which are still portable, although you will want a 2 wheeler dolly to move it. I just bought the tank for $131 plus tax last week and it cost $78 to fill it. My neighbor has the DeWalt version and it is quieter than mine. Maybe a little expensive, but when you really need it, the cost is inconsequential. Anything smaller is a waste of money.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    05-22-2015 @ 10:26 PM
    Thanks
    I don't know if the electric heater would keep up but the propane sure would as stated. If you had to do maintenance or a repair it would be nice and toasty!

In years past I would used a 50,000-80,000 Btu propane salamander to heat my unheated garage, it worked great! The grill size propane tank would run about 6-7 hrs on low, it would get so warm I would shut it down for 1/2 hour so, the bigger tank would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2025R, 63 MMM, FEL, Ballast Box

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Thanks
    The canopy seems to be a bit redundent to me. Can't you just put tarps up inside the pole barn and get the same effect? I guess that might depend on just how high your roof is but....

In my previous place where I had a real barn I stuck an old pot belly wood stove in there and warmed it up with that. It was drafty but at least it was tolerable.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    The canopy seems to be a bit redundent to me. Can't you just put tarps up inside the pole barn and get the same effect? I guess that might depend on just how high your roof is but....

In my previous place where I had a real barn I stuck an old pot belly wood stove in there and warmed it up with that. It was drafty but at least it was tolerable.
    I did the same in my old garage. I just popped a "free" wood stove in there, ran single walled pipe until I could find someone selling a couple of lengths of stainless for the outdoor chimney. The only cost to me up front was the insulated thimble for the roof and a few lengths of stovepipe.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:39 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,458 Times in 1,583 Posts
    Since you have a diesel tractor, for years I had a wall mount 50000 btu lp heater ,,,took for ever to heat the building up . Moved that heater to under my garage to keep water lines from freezing.
    Bought a TSC Multi fuel heater similar to Dyna Glo Delux Multi-Fuel Forced Air Heater — 75,000 BTU, Model# KFA75DGD | Kerosene Heaters| Northern Tool + Equipment

You can use either diesel or kerosene. The one I bought has a thermostat , heats the building up in 15 min before 4 hrs and building was still cold. No lp tank to move around. If using in air tight area , may need to use all kerosene but still do able using diesel, just keep some fresh air coming in the area.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 10:39 PM
    Thanks

Traps & covers - CAREFUL!!

I understand the idea of the tarping & heating, whether draped over the equipment or as temporary walls.
    PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL with any heater near them!!!
    After 22 years on a Vol. Fire Dept. I have seen many pieces of equipment from tractors to trailer homes
    burned up due to space heaters, salamander type heaters, etc. Especially the plastic tarps, they burn on the same order as rocket fuel!!

Also while I'm on my soap box here, any use of wood stoves may or may not VOID your fire insurance!!
    Take a minute & call your agent before installing any solid fuel heaters, or you could be paying a huge price later when the adjuster smiles at you & says "Sorry, your NOT covered".

I say this with 22 years of experience, I also was a fire investigator for the dept.
    Not trying to throw a wrench into good ideas,
    just pointing out what I have seen over the years.
    Thanks & please be careful!!
    Vern1026R, farmgirl19 and 5304 like this.
    1026R FEL
    60" back blade
    48" rake
    48" box blade
    ballast box
    boom pole
    SB1148 snow blower

RCR 1548 3 point brush mower
    Husqvarna 46" tractor mower
    Bobcat 2300 UTV with Rapid Link
    Land Plane LP1160

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Duke Snyder For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (11-20-2014)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 06:11 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke Snyder View Post
    I understand the idea of the tarping & heating, whether draped over the equipment or as temporary walls.
    PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL with any heater near them!!!
    After 22 years on a Vol. Fire Dept. I have seen many pieces of equipment from tractors to trailer homes
    burned up due to space heaters, salamander type heaters, etc. Especially the plastic tarps, they burn on the same order as rocket fuel!!

Also while I'm on my soap box here, any use of wood stoves may or may not VOID your fire insurance!!
    Take a minute & call your agent before installing any solid fuel heaters, or you could be paying a huge price later when the adjuster smiles at you & says "Sorry, your NOT covered".

I say this with 22 years of experience, I also was a fire investigator for the dept.
    Not trying to throw a wrench into good ideas,
    just pointing out what I have seen over the years.
    Thanks & please be careful!!
    Thanks for all of the replies.

The ceiling in my barn is 14' tall.
    Kind of tall for me to hang tarps.

Duke, your response covers the reasons I am thinking of the canopy to make a smaller area & use an electric heater for heat.

Because of health reasons, I can no longer be around any type of unvented heat in an enclosed area. Not even an unvented fireplace log in a house. This condition was caused by working for too many years around unvented heaters in enclosed areas.

My insurance does not allow me to use interior wood stoves. They do allow outdoor furnaces, but Indiana has rules on how close the outdoor furnaces can be to a neighboring home, so those are out.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements