Old Farmhouse... Basement ventilation.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By JimR
  • 2 Post By flyweight

Thread: Old Farmhouse... Basement ventilation.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    02-23-2019 @ 11:19 AM
    Thanks

Old Farmhouse... Basement ventilation.

I don't know if you can help but here goes! I've my Dad's old Birthplace. You could refer to my Barn Build for some Pictures. The problem is, Ive got an extream moisture issue in the (5' high) basement . I'm looking for a cheap fix, (Not the installation side, but the operating cost) This Old (circa1830's) Farm house is not easy to retrofit! 8x8 wall timbers, and plank on both sides! Yep! 12 " window sills are not unusual. The basement walls are field stone, the floor is dirt and gravel. Besides a few lights, the only thing down there is my Captive air tank and assorted plumbing. I have a couple gaps, (think basement windows), that I could bring into the mix. I've only brainstormed a couple options. A Turbine Fan or Solar Powered fan. A turbine woud be awesome, and would do the job (I believe), but it would require a 10" or so stack from the basement to the roof line. Inside, that would be a Bee-Och! Outside, probably look like hell! OK plan "B" a Solar powered window fan. I would have no problem with a couple panels on the roof! But don't know if I could find one that would move sufficient "wet" air! Any thoughts are appreciated! Have a great New Year!! ~Scotty

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Thanks
    If you aren't opposed to installing a few solar panels you could find a vent fan like the ones used to ventilate boats. I've seen 12-volt, in-line, 4" diameter units that will push 240-270 CFM. That's probably all you'd really need.

But having dealt with a dirt floor basement before, I can tell you that you'd get the biggest bang for your buck by laying heavy plastic on that floor and covering it with a couple of inches of pea gravel. When I did that with my previous house I just converted the 2 basement windows to open vents and all of my moisture issues went away. I did have to insulate the basement ceiling though...
    etcallhome likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

Scotty370 (12-28-2014)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    Do you have any idea where the moisture is coming from? I know the easy answer is it is coming from the dirt floor. Could the land scape around the house be sloped in a way to keep as much water running away from the foundation as possible? You may want to look at having the out side of the basement walls water proofed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to felixm22 For This Useful Post:

Scotty370 (12-28-2014)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,194 Posts
    Just a thought. Convection chimney?

Depending on which direction your house is facing. I wouldn't want this on the front side(road side) of my house.

How it works: The sun heats up the chimney(preferably metal) causing the air inside to rise, thus drawing air upward within the chimney. The rising air inside the chimney, draws air from the basement via vents on the cool side of the house.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CC.02.jpg  
    Last edited by flyweight; 12-27-2014 at 03:31 PM.
    mjncad and xhere like this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"? - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

9. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,951 Times in 2,913 Posts
    Heavy weight plastic vapor barrier is your friend. I would think unless the ground is covered it's going to be hard to keep it dry.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

Scotty370 (12-28-2014)

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    02-23-2019 @ 11:19 AM
    Thanks
    Drainage away- "Check", The convection system wouldn't work in my unsusual application. I think I going to try Solar-Powered fans and see what happens! The Poly and stone floor cover will be in the 'mix'! I think the water is 'perking' up from the floor. I think forced ventilation is the answer Harbor Freight 45watt Solar panel and 12v fans, may be in my future! Thanks for all comments! Again HNY -20015! ~Scotty!
    Last edited by Scotty370; 12-28-2014 at 02:47 PM.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements