Can these Jokers really build a shed that big? - Page 65
Page 65 of 66 FirstFirst ... 15 55 63 64 65 66 LastLast
Like Tree6225Likes

Thread: Can these Jokers really build a shed that big?

1. Top | #641
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:25 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ttazzman View Post
    i would like to comment ...as to the original thread topic " Can these Jokers really build a shed that big?" ......since its inception 1 year and 1 week agon.....i tihnk the answer is yes possibly...given enough time and subcontractors ......but the JURY is still out ....... a few more.....hopefully done before
    I've often thought of reviewing my thoughts on here since we started. I knew it would take some time. I didn't think we wouldn't be done in a year. I also thought more friends would help. It's pretty easy to get sick of it and do other things for awhile. Additionally, life gets in the way at times. The time working with Dirty is priceless. We'll keep chugging along.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #642
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Thanks
    That’s ok. I think it was about 1.5 - 2 years on mine and I had Morton do the building. I did the inside steel and the rest of it.

Some of it was time and some of it was well, how do I say it, oh yea, lack of funding.
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 7 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

4. Top | #643
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Thanks
    Mdrew:

You're a better and braver man than me to tackle garage doors and their evil springs.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mjncad For This Useful Post:

MDrew (08-20-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #644
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Really lacked motivation this weekend. I have the next OH door ready to go in. Had vistors on Saturday mduwe and his co-worker stopped by for some go-kart stuff. Took them on the nickle tour and a Duece ride.

They didn't offer to stick around and help build.
    Mike

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

8. Top | #645

Last Online
    Today @ 06:30 AM
    Thanks
    In all seriousness, mdrew, I'm impressed that you even gave this a try. You're getting there and I'll bet you're moved in before Winter.

I can't criticize. I started working on my 20x20 deck last October. Ended up having to reframe the entire thing. Then the lumber yard shorted me some material and had to wait on that. Then winter came and I hate working in the cold. Finally got the rest of the decking on in June and then (my real job) work hit! Put the railing posts up in late June and had Sweetie check out a couple of the designs for the railing that I had in mind. She picked one. Then changed her mind.

Finishing should be a 2 day job - if I only had 2 days to work on it. Oh, well.
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 6 others like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

9. Top | #646
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    In all seriousness, mdrew, I'm impressed that you even gave this a try. You're getting there and I'll bet you're moved in before Winter.

I can't criticize. I started working on my 20x20 deck last October. Ended up having to reframe the entire thing. Then the lumber yard shorted me some material and had to wait on that. Then winter came and I hate working in the cold. Finally got the rest of the decking on in June and then (my real job) work hit! Put the railing posts up in late June and had Sweetie check out a couple of the designs for the railing that I had in mind. She picked one. Then changed her mind.

Finishing should be a 2 day job - if I only had 2 days to work on it. Oh, well.
    I've helped with a few decks. It always seems to be something.

I think in any good size project you underestimate the time it really takes. If your skills for the work aren't current, you fall into a curve of relearning. I've planted plenty of posts in the ground before. Maybe none as tall as what we did. I felt I had the knowledge to do it. We broke the first pole and it took a few hours to get it set correctly. By the time we had them a little over half done Dirty and I could set one and have it leveled and secured in 15 minutes.

I have my concerns about the electrical work. I know it's slow work and my skills are rusty.
    Mike

10. Top | #647

Last Online
    Today @ 08:50 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MDrew View Post
    I've helped with a few decks. It always seems to be something.

I think in any good size project you underestimate the time it really takes. If your skills for the work aren't current, you fall into a curve of relearning. I've planted plenty of posts in the ground before. Maybe none as tall as what we did. I felt I had the knowledge to do it. We broke the first pole and it took a few hours to get it set correctly. By the time we had them a little over half done Dirty and I could set one and have it leveled and secured in 15 minutes.

I have my concerns about the electrical work. I know it's slow work and my skills are rusty.
    Unless you forgot how to pull you should be ok wiring. Pappa should be by about 48 hours after you commit to a design to set you straight.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, MDrew and 5 others like this.

11. Top | #648
    Last Online
    Thanks
    My overall goal with creating this post was to cronical how it went for the average guy doing a project this big. As I said I thought I'd have more friends help. I've had a little help, not as much as I planned. It might be my own fault as I haven't tried to round up much help either.

I'm certainly not an expert by any stretch of anyone's imagination. You can read through the posts and see we've learned a lot. In the end people will be able to read through the post see what we did that worked and what didn't work and some pitfalls to avoid and have a few laughs in the process.

Dirty's been a Godsend of help(don't tell him, it will swell his head) and we've had some great fun and a few yelling matches. It's not so much anger as a passion for wanting to do it right.

2 garage doors to go. I redid the inside framing last weekend. They should go pretty quickly. Put up the rails and screw in door panels. Add the springs and wind them and then unwind them a little. the OH doors really are that bad to do. It does take 2 people or you fight the tracks from one side to the other. Having the lift makes winding the springs fairly simple. You can get at the correct level to turn the rods. I'd think doing it from a ladder could be sporty as they got tight.

Resting the loaded rod on the frame and then moving with the other bar works well. I've had a number of people ask me if I was doing the OH doors myself and seemed surprised that I was. They not difficult, a bit of a pain, but not difficult.
    Mike

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MDrew For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (09-05-2019)

13. Top | #649
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Still chugging along. Had plenty of things get in the way of working on the shop. Dirty's been busy doing other things. Sweetheart came to help put door panels up Saturday. Bless her heart for trying. She's not real good on a ladder and I wasn't about to let her run the lift.

One more OH door done, one to go. Funny thing is this door looks square in the opening. Makes me wonder what's wrong with it. I still have to put one man door back up. Doncrete guys felt it was too low.

Not far from having it all closed in.
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 3 others like this.
    Mike

14. Top | #650

Last Online
    Today @ 09:09 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the update, keep on keeping on.
    Gizmo2, MDrew and Herminator like this.
    2018 2025r, FEL, 60" autoconnect deck, pallet forks, some other stuff.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 65 of 66 FirstFirst ... 15 55 63 64 65 66 LastLast