Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: How can I do this

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks

How can I do this

The first item on my bucket list is to start construction of a new pole storage barn & work shed. I have a set of plans for it. The immediate problem is that I have no help beyond myself & my 855 utility tractor. The only construction problem I see is the lifting & setting of sixteen poles that will be 6"X6" x 16' & 14' long respectively. I see no other problems in carrying out any other part of the construction as a one man construction crew.

I do not have a FEL on my tractor or any type of implements that will allow me to lift & upright a pole to get it into position. My post depth in the ground will be between three & four feet deep. What I am thinking about is the use of a 3pt. boom pole on the 3pt hitch. To the boom pole I could construct a vertical post with a arm on top, properly braced so that I can attach my chain hoist to the arm & then use the chain hoist to raise the pole & maneuver it into position. The vertical post that I attached to the boom pole will rest on the ground with a "foot" attached to the bottom of the post. So essentially, all the weight of the 6" x 6" post in a vertical position when lifted would be transferred to the post attached to the boom pole, and transferred to the ground.

I really don't know if I'm describing this clear enough for anyone to understand. I know one picture is better than a thousand words, but, don't have the picture or a sketch I could scan in, hence the thousand words. But if you can visualize a boom pole, and attached to that a vertical post with an arm on top, or something that looks like a No. 7 about 16 foot tall, you got the picture. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Thanks
    I think I get what your are describing but I'm not sure you'd get enough height out of a boom lift on the 3pt hitch. You'd probably have to use at least 12' long 6x6's for your posts and you're only going to get 6-8' height out of the boom lift. That's not to say that it can't be done, but I'd think it'd be pretty dangerous to be doing by yourself.

I'd rig up something using some 12' steel pipe first. 3 or 4 of them linked together at the top with the legs spread out. Then you could attach your hoist to the top of that and lift the posts up and drop them into the holes. Something like this.
    Maddog likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-02-2018 @ 09:17 PM
    Thanks
    Ohh MY MY MY!!! You NEED a bigger tractor for that!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,951 Times in 2,913 Posts
    I think your concern may not be a concern at all. Just one person may be a little tough but with two people it would be easy enough.
    You will more than likely need two people to level and plumb the poles. My wife and I set the post for our pole barn waaaay back when and they were 14' x 6" x 6"

Our garage being built in 2011...
    Post number 5, two guys set the post. Notice the pipe clamp the guy is using.
    http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...-building.html
    etcallhome, Maddog and farmgirl19 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts
    When we built our pole shed, two people were able to walk the 6"x6"x16' poles up and drop them into the holes.
    Gizmo2, Maddog and farmgirl19 like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    When we built our pole shed, two people were able to walk the 6"x6"x16' poles up and drop them into the holes.
    Were you one of them? I just need to know.
    Maddog and Jim Timber like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Were you one of them? I just need to know.
    Yes, yes I was.

The poles and someone handing me metal sheets when I was putting the roof on were the only parts of the job where I had help.
    Jim Timber likes this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    Yes, yes I was.

The poles and someone handing me metal sheets when I was putting the roof on were the only parts of the job where I had help.
    The trusses got me, needed a third person for that.
    Keith

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    I built my previous house by myself - the only power tool I used was a circular saw running from a generator. This is always a way to do this stuff.

Think rope and pulleys.

I'll see if I can explain what I have in my mind......

After your holes are dug for the upright poles - plant one other temporary pole maybe 8' or 10' in height adjacent to the poles you want to set. On top of this temporary pole attach a pulley.

Now with your permanent pole base at the hole in the ground elevate the pole on a saw horse or something enough for the bottom of the pole to catch into the hold in the ground hole. Then attach a piece of rope to the top of that pole so it will stay put and not slide. Then the rope goes back to the pulley on top of your temporary pole, then to your tractor draw bar or hitch. Then you can slowly move the tractor forward and it will lift the top of the pole as you go. The first movement you will have to be sure the bottom of the pole is going to go into the hole and not slide beyond it. Once you are sure the bottom of the pole will go in the hole as you lift - just slowly keep pulling. You might have to stop here and there to nudge the bottom of the pole some with a bar or something to make sure it goes where you want. Once the pole base is in the hole and almost all the way upright, then build a temporary brace to hold it as you get it perfectly vertical. Once the poll is almost verticle you can move it some by hand into a brace you already made. One hand holding the pole where you want it and the other hand with a hammer ready to drive the pre-started nails in your brace.

Don't know if I am explaining my method well or not. I did similar things for roof rafters, trusses, and roof sheathing - but I didn't have a tractor back then - all pulling on a rope by hand with the use of pulleys.
    Maddog likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    The first item on my bucket list is to start construction of a new pole storage barn & work shed. I have a set of plans for it. The immediate problem is that I have no help beyond myself & my 855 utility tractor. The only construction problem I see is the lifting & setting of sixteen poles that will be 6"X6" x 16' & 14' long respectively. I see no other problems in carrying out any other part of the construction as a one man construction crew.

I do not have a FEL on my tractor or any type of implements that will allow me to lift & upright a pole to get it into position. My post depth in the ground will be between three & four feet deep. What I am thinking about is the use of a 3pt. boom pole on the 3pt hitch. To the boom pole I could construct a vertical post with a arm on top, properly braced so that I can attach my chain hoist to the arm & then use the chain hoist to raise the pole & maneuver it into position. The vertical post that I attached to the boom pole will rest on the ground with a "foot" attached to the bottom of the post. So essentially, all the weight of the 6" x 6" post in a vertical position when lifted would be transferred to the post attached to the boom pole, and transferred to the ground.

I really don't know if I'm describing this clear enough for anyone to understand. I know one picture is better than a thousand words, but, don't have the picture or a sketch I could scan in, hence the thousand words. But if you can visualize a boom pole, and attached to that a vertical post with an arm on top, or something that looks like a No. 7 about 16 foot tall, you got the picture. Thanks.
    I think you have the idea I'm working on, but one point I want to clear up. The 3pt. boom itself would be parked in a horizontal (more or less) position. The lifting post or the vertical post of the "7" would be attached or bolted to the front end of the boom pole. Think of a No.7 and somewhere near the bottom of the seven the boom pole is at a right angle to the leg of the seven. Thanks for you help.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast