Thanks

Pole Barn Site Prep

Our property isn't particularly flat. This is what I'm working with:

Click image for larger version.

Name:	PBSite.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	891.0 KB
ID:	39616

Perspective makes this a little hard to see, but the front line is a 24" drop and the rear line is a 12" drop. These are best that I can measure right now, I'm getting a laser level for this project later. The first obstacles are the pines. The plan is to rent a mini-excavator to tackle those. For the grading, I'd like to lower the front right and raise the rear left. Before I plow ahead, are there glaring problems with this plan? I'm totally open for input here.

The vertical lines are 24',40'. The right side is 25' off of the property line, which is my setback. I have some room to the left to shift into. I'm also not dead set on the size, but I am trying to maximize the storage space that I have without huge amounts of grading, or tree removal. Here is what I have drawn up so far:

Name:	Barn v1 24x40.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	39617

I haven't taken the plans further because I haven't nailed down the final size.

It isn't a great build site, but it is all that I have. So, I'm looking for feedback. I think that I posted in the past, but I got two quotes for a 30'x30' on this spot, one was for $7,500 on a prepped site, no concrete floor and the other was $30,000 all in with site prep and a concrete floor. So, I'm looking for some feedback from folks that don't have an interest in upselling me on this project
    Gizmo2 and UnionSchnauzer like this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks
    You're in GA so is it safe to assume that everything at the site is red clay? Are you planning on pouring a concrete floor?
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:04 PM
    Thanks
    Yes, red clay. I want to plan on a concrete floor, but that would be added at a later date. That is my reasoning for digging out the pine stumps.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:46 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    Our property isn't particularly flat. This is what I'm working with:

Name:	PBSite.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	891.0 KB
ID:	39616

Perspective makes this a little hard to see, but the front line is a 24" drop and the rear line is a 12" drop. These are best that I can measure right now, I'm getting a laser level for this project later. The first obstacles are the pines. The plan is to rent a mini-excavator to tackle those. For the grading, I'd like to lower the front right and raise the rear left. Before I plow ahead, are there glaring problems with this plan? I'm totally open for input here.

The vertical lines are 24',40'. The right side is 25' off of the property line, which is my setback. I have some room to the left to shift into. I'm also not dead set on the size, but I am trying to maximize the storage space that I have without huge amounts of grading, or tree removal. Here is what I have drawn up so far:

Name:	Barn v1 24x40.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	39617

I haven't taken the plans further because I haven't nailed down the final size.

It isn't a great build site, but it is all that I have. So, I'm looking for feedback. I think that I posted in the past, but I got two quotes for a 30'x30' on this spot, one was for $7,500 on a prepped site, no concrete floor and the other was $30,000 all in with site prep and a concrete floor. So, I'm looking for some feedback from folks that don't have an interest in upselling me on this project
    I'm not sure what kind of advice you're looking for, but 24" of drop is not that much to deal with. I'm not sure I would lower any of it though. I have built several pole sheds, and my first one, I tried something similar. It didn't work out too good drainage wise. I like to build the whole site up at least a foot, then slope it at a nice grade. You will never take on a drop of water that way. Don't skimp on fill or compacting it. I always (after the first one) had one of those big vibrating roller things come in and compact the devil out of it.
    The only other advice would be to go as big as you can afford that will fit.

Good luck. New buildings are fun and exciting
    Gizmo2, Bubber, farmgirl19 and 7 others like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    I'm not sure what kind of advice you're looking for, but 24" of drop is not that much to deal with. I'm not sure I would lower any of it though. I have built several pole sheds, and my first one, I tried something similar. It didn't work out too good drainage wise. I like to build the whole site up at least a foot, then slope it at a nice grade. You will never take on a drop of water that way. Don't skimp on fill or compacting it. I always (after the first one) had one of those big vibrating roller things come in and compact the devil out of it.
    The only other advice would be to go as big as you can afford that will fit.

Good luck. New buildings are fun and exciting
    Thanks, I'm trying to do as much research as possible on this and want to make sure that I'm not missing something obvious to those with experience.

The site is 200 yds off of the road and the only way in is the driveway which won't support a full size dump truck for the fill. I'd either have to get smaller truck delivery, or dump in the street and tote it to the site.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:46 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks, I'm trying to do as much research as possible on this and want to make sure that I'm not missing something obvious to those with experience.

The site is 200 yds off of the road and the only way in is the driveway which won't support a full size dump truck for the fill. I'd either have to get smaller truck delivery, or dump in the street and tote it to the site.
    If there was no other way, I think I would opt for a smaller dump truck. It would get old quick carting fill with a loader 200 yards. Is your driveway too narrow, or why can't a dump truck get back there?

Just to give you an idea...I built a 36x60 barn with an 8' porch 4 years ago, and I hauled in 2000 yards of fill!!! We were able to get it on our property on some old iron mines from WWII era. They set up a drag line and 15 dump trucks hauled all day. It was only about 1//2 mile away.
    You won't need that much fill of course. I had to build one side of the pad up 6 feet.
    Bubber, farmgirl19, Levi and 1 others like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    If there was no other way, I think I would opt for a smaller dump truck. It would get old quick carting fill with a loader 200 yards. Is your driveway too narrow, or why can't a dump truck get back there?
    The supply company that I bought gravel from for my trailer pad said that a full size truck would crush the driveway, so I'm going by what he told me.

Just to give you an idea...I built a 36x60 barn with an 8' porch 4 years ago, and I hauled in 2000 yards of fill!!! We were able to get it on our property on some old iron mines from WWII era. They set up a drag line and 15 dump trucks hauled all day. It was only about 1//2 mile away.
    You won't need that much fill of course. I had to build one side of the pad up 6 feet.
    Wow, that's pretty amazing. I'm not opposed to hiring this job out, I just want to know all of my options going into it.
    Levi likes this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks
    Yes, red clay. I want to plan on a concrete floor, but that would be added at a later date. That is my reasoning for digging out the pine stumps.
    Yeah, as I recall that red clay holds water pretty well and gets slicker than snot when it rains. I think I'd want to find some way of dropping a sand/gravel/stone dust layer in there and build on top of that. Mostly just to make sure I'd have drainage so you don't end up with a huge mess every time it rains and everything in there rusting from the moisture.
    Bubber and Levi like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,084 Posts
    BUBBER; Get rid of all trash like the wood debri stuff and build up and up and like every body else has said so u won't end up in a swamp hole, regretting it later. is their anywhere on the property to get any stone type fill at all. on my pole shed my dad built, he put yellow locaust boards at the bottom for the nailer , that was in 1992, all is well yet, but no water lays against them, and I don't have rain gutters. every summer we use old motor oil to paint these boards, so far so good. but thatts why u want to get a high enough elvation to start with. just my 02 cents good luck and happy building once its done u won't regret it. big jim
    Bubber and Levi like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    12-24-2016 @ 10:23 PM
    Thanks
    Bubber,

Just looking at the Pic, your site is downhill from the background.

It would be a good thing to raise the floor at least a foot over existing grade. That water stuff, runs down hill and towards barns, like Tornadoes seek out Mobile home parks.

Red clay is HORRIBLE for drainage, so figure on a french drain on the uphill side just to cover your butt.
    Drainage on the apron side is always good too. Nothing worse that big clods of mud, coming out of ruts just outside the door, making it into the barn.

Is there any spot near the road to dump sand/fill, and then run it back to the site?
    It might take 87 trips with a FEL, but it's better than trashing a driveway.

Have you considered adding a pond?;)
    Bubber, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast