• 4 Post By Boonie
  • 1 Post By klunker

Thread: Finally Finished (for now) 24 x 36 Garage/Barn Review

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:49 AM
    Thanks

Finally Finished (for now) 24 x 36 Garage/Barn Review

When we bought our place, the property was the lacking a garage. At our old place, we enjoyed a three door, five car garage--my wife used to say we bought a garage with an attached living area.

At the time of purchase, nearly all available was being spent on the property purchase, so I made the questionable decision to go cheap....thus, we went with a Carolina Carports (CC) Garage. The original plan was for a 24' x 24' 8', but I wisely moved it up to 24' x 36' 10', with two doors in front and a large door to the rear. In August (2017) a three person team came to the place around 12:30 pm, and by 7:30 pm, the garage was up and the team was gone. That part was amazing. The price was good, at around $7500. A great price for an installed garage with a lifetime warranty. However, the warranty is void if electrical is installed, which we did last spring.

The roll up garage doors are "made by CC" according to their website. They are almost identical to the type used in Europe, Asia and Australia, with the following differences:

1) The shafts are 2" shorter on each side than the specs from the Europe and Asia doors. This does not leave adequate room for standard roller door openers.
    2) The spindles don't fit standard roller door openers, thus must be cut to fit
    3) The hardware is a mix and match of metric and SAE

Thus, installing the motors entailed some fabrication. Unfortunately, at the same time I bought the garage I ordered openers off Amazon...and not knowing what to look for, I bought "first generation" rather than the "second generation" motors. The first generation require setting cams for the upper and lower limits, which requires lots of fiddling around. The new ones have electronic stops, which are set with the push of a button. The first generation is 433 mhz whereas the 2nd generation will receive both 315 and 433 mhz. Thus, I can't get HomeLink to work with the new motors.

Overall, I have about $8400 invested in the garage, which I also use to store the 3025, ZTR and Side x Side. This price include adding electrical (lighting, 12 interior and 2 exterior outlets).

I miss not having wood studs to mount things, and might at some point made some interior walls.

So, for others contemplating a lower priced garage, here are my thoughts.
    1) Look for traditional construction options. The metal is OK, quick, and works fine, but it has more limitations.
    2) Go with 9' wide by 9' tall doors. I have 8x8 in front, and the ROPS rubs the weatherstripping. It fits, but barely. The mirrors on my truck have about 6" clearance on each side. Another 6" each side would be nice. My back door is 9 x 9, and is perfect.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4907.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	647532
    JD 3025E | D160 loader | JD 413 Rotary Cutter | Behlen 7' grader blade | JD cultivator | Farm King PHD w/12" auger | Titan Ballast Box | 61" Pirhana bar | JD Sod Buster | Titan Pallet Fork w/receiver | Edge Tamers with Extensions | 5' King Kutter Rotary Tiller
    JD Z-Trac 335E with hitch and bumper kit | JD 8 cu ft cart
    JD D-100 Lawn Tractor w 42" deck | 10 cu ft HF cart
    1948 Ford 8N l 6' tooth harrow l Kawasaki Mule XC-SE
    Weather KMOLAWSO17 It's always sunny...unless it is not

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 356 For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (09-10-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Thanks
    I would be interested in knowing the criteria for the warranty coverage v. Electrical service. That would have been a deal breaker to me regardless of the cost savings. We don't do much in the way of steel buildings so my knowledge is not as thorough as traditional but what little we have done would seem that the warranty issue would apply more to faulty installation rather than the material defects. If my assertion is correct, I'm not sure how they could void any stated warranty on the electrical service basis. I'm sure there are states where this might fly but I presume many more where it wouldn't. I helped both of my brothers with semi-large steel buildings and my advice was to go one size larger than they thought they wanted to be able to add 6 inch walls and insulation. One decided not to and regrets it today since the sq ft footprint was reduced after interior walls were added for insulation. The same brother melted down his garage door opener after he decided he was an electrician and bought 3 identical conductors to run from the transformer to the service panel after his brother told him to make sure the neutral was one size smaller or aluminum. He found out quick a garage door opener doesn't last long on 220v.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    We decided to go with a place called Carports & More for our needs. All I will add to that is, shop elsewhere.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Thanks
    does that price include site prep and concrete floor?
    Fozsey likes this.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements