Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Just bought a new 1025R - now I need a barn

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-23-2017 @ 02:09 PM
    Thanks

Just bought a new 1025R - now I need a barn

Hey guys, as the title says I have bought a new 1025R TLB and it will be delivered today after work. Now I need to figure out where I'm going to store the thing. I can probably clear enough room in the garage to temporarily store it there but ultimately I need the garage space. That said I've been looking at TSC's ShelterLogic Landowner series. Does anyone have experience with this particular model? I know you can buy higher end models for a little more money but I am only looking at needing this for a year or two at most - by then I better have a real barn. As long as it holds up while I build a pole barn, I'll reuse the frame as a greenhouse in the garden.

I have also considered just building a free standing lean-to (maybe 16'L x 12'W x 8-10'T ?). If I go the lean-to route I will likely either build this back in my woods or against the side of my garage - either way there shouldn't be enough wind to drive water onto the equipment in the average rain storm. If anyone has a 1-series TLB can you confirm that those dimensions seem logical? I figure that should provide enough space for me to drop the FEL and BH at the front, side by side, and have the tractor behind them.

Part of me is leaning toward the lean-to b/c I think I could build it for approximately the same cost as the TSC shelter and it won't really ever wear out. Once I have a barn the lean-to could either be used for livestock in its current location or disassembled and relocated next to the barn.

Recent thought - while writing this I got to thinking; if I use it for livestock should I build a two-bay style lean-to instead. Tractor in one bay and FEL & BH in the other. Of course this would require me to drop the attachments any time I need to put the whole thing away. Thoughts?
    Levi likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    In my experience, the ShelterLogic temp sheds work fine as long as you anchor them down and don't allow snow to build up on them. The latter probably ins't a big issue for you but anchoring is absolutely required. If a strong wind gets under an edge of one of those things they take off like a kite. The last one I had, I used the anchors that you screw into the ground and two cinder blocks on each corner. Even with that, it tried to take off a couple of times.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 660 Posts
    Congrats on the new tractor.

Have you considered a metal carport and then close in the sides?

Carports Metal Carport Kits Garage Kits Metal Building RV Car Ports
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, Levi and 2 others like this.
    2013 1025R
    (Oct. 1, 2013 Used with 20hrs.)
    H120 loader -- 60D AutoConnect MMM --Frontier RB2060 blade -- Modified RIO -- Northstar Sprayer -- Fimco Spreader -- Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks.
    "Kitty" 2000-2014
    Carl

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,953 Times in 2,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmo View Post

X2
    etcallhome and BigJim55 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-25-2019 @ 11:23 PM
    Thanks
    I have 2 sheds like this for my tractor and accessories to fit in. You will have to fold the ROPS down to get it in and then still might have to help it through the opening a little with your hand holding up the roll up door. I would order from the factory and get the heavier duty cover. There are 3 grade levels of skin to fit over the frame. If you are going to have it a long time with sun and wind exposure go heavier duty. Also use twist in 12-16 inch ground anchor screws ( find them at Home Depot or Lowes) and ratchet straps to anchor it to the ground so the wind dose not shift it or blow it away. The cable anchors that come with the kit if not the heavy duty 3/16 cables and ground anchors will rot and tear away. Do I speak from experience.
    2014- JD 1025r
    L120 59" FEL, 260 BH, 60D MMM
    66"/54" plow with Artillian extension and rubber edge
    Artillian 36" forks
    JD 550 3PT Tiller
    54" spike aerator
    Fimco 3PT 40 gal boom sprayer
    Trac-Vac 580
    CMP 3PT 60" Dethatcher
    51" Lucknow 3PT rear snowblower
    Omni Transformer 3PT weight rack w/ 2" hitch receiver 6-42lbs weights

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmo View Post

I have but this is really a 'temporary' structure so I'm trying to do it as cheap as possible. Not to say I have entirely nixed that idea yet though - I need to look into quotes first.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-25-2019 @ 11:23 PM
    Thanks
    In our area you can put these shelters up without permits where as the metal car port you would have to file a permit for as you would pour a cement footing to anchor it to the ground usually. Go figure.
    2014- JD 1025r
    L120 59" FEL, 260 BH, 60D MMM
    66"/54" plow with Artillian extension and rubber edge
    Artillian 36" forks
    JD 550 3PT Tiller
    54" spike aerator
    Fimco 3PT 40 gal boom sprayer
    Trac-Vac 580
    CMP 3PT 60" Dethatcher
    51" Lucknow 3PT rear snowblower
    Omni Transformer 3PT weight rack w/ 2" hitch receiver 6-42lbs weights

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 96PSD View Post
    In our area you can put these shelters up without permits where as the metal car port you would have to file a permit for as you would pour a cement footing to anchor it to the ground usually. Go figure.
    I don't actually live in Apex - it is just the nearest city. I live in Chatham County and I believe they have an exemption for agricultural storage/livestock buildings. As long as there's no power and you keep it below a certain footprint I don't believe you need permits.

You may have a similar situation - assuming you don't live in the city limits.
    Last edited by jklaus; 02-13-2015 at 09:19 AM.
    Levi likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:16 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 96PSD View Post
    Permit? What's that?
    Lol
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    I was never a fan of those free standing carport/shelters - seen too many crushed from snow load.

I like the idea of a lean-to as long as it is attached to another building. Like you say after you have a proper barn it can be used for all kinds of other storage (ie; firewood). Or if built properly it wouldn't be hard at all to remove and reuse the building materials.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast