Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Barn & shop lighting

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks

Barn & shop lighting

I have a tractor storage barn & shop. I will be installing some overhead lighting in three work bays. I want to use fluorescent strip light fixtures. Here are my concerns with fluorescent lighting.

The barn is not heated. I'm here in South Carolina. Daytime winter temps can range from a low of 20 degrees to a high of 70 degrees. I would say that most mornings are around low 30's & we generally climb to a comfortable 60 on most any day.
    I'm concerned that fluorescent does not work well in the lower temps but I've been told to use LED fluorescent lamps-four foot length & I will have no problems.

So if LED lamps will work what bulb size are these-T5 or T8? Also can I use any fixture or must I get fixtures designed for LED lamps. What's the difference between an LED specific fixture & an ordinary florescent fixture. I don't see myself ever needing light in the barn at night. But just in case I may hang one or two old fashion always ready incandescent light bulb fixtures.

With all the choices I really don't know what to do. Also, I don't need any fancy fixtures. This is a working storage shop. White tin & two bulbs per fixture is all I'm looking for. Home Depot appears to have the best prices so far, but I can't get a straight answer from them on the Led lamps. Can someone ad to this. Thanks!
    Marlin likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    05-22-2019 @ 03:31 PM
    The Willamette Valley, Laurelwood/Gaston, Oregon
    Thanks
    I have LED lighting in my barn and shop. I converted many fluorescent fixtures to LEDs. Here's a post I did on the projects . . . https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...ighting-2.html at the time.

I'm headed out the door right now and will followup with you later.
    Maddog and PaDave like this.
    Marlin

JD 1026R - March/2013
    JD H120 NSL Loader, JD 647 Tiller, JD Ballast Box
    Frontier BB2048L Box Scraper
    IMatch, Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's Bolt-On Hooks & FEL Receiver Hitch
    John Deere Wheel & Suitcase Weights
    Wheel Spacers - 2" Front, 4" Rear
    Heavy Hitch Hitch’N Can
    LED Lights Front & Rear Facing
    Artillian Forks & Front Hoe
    R4 Tires Front & Rear

"Prayer can never be in excess." ~ C. H. Spurgeon

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Thanks
    I just replaced all my shop/garage 8ft light fixtures with 4ft LED fixtures. Two 4ft LED's for each 8ft 2 bulb fixture. Each LED has what is similar to a 2 bulb fluorescent. I have been fighting these fixtures for the 4 years that I have lived here. I initially replaced the ballasts, but it made littel difference. Sometimes they would all work, but most times only some of them would work, even in the summertime. There were 3 8ft long fixtures and sometimes only one bulb in one fixture would work. Seven bulbs would not come on and that was summertime!!!! What did work in the winter were very dim, so not much light then either. Now it is like bright daylight in there. Where I had 3 of the old fixtures, I now have 6 of the new LED's. They are cheap imports, but seem to work very well. I probably could have got by with only 3 fixtures, but I wanted bright lighting. Here is what I got, although I got them much cheaper on sale some time back, but had not put them up until recently.

Dave

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/yescomu...001-6K-4P_buy/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lighting2.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	655452

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lighting.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	655450
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    When we moved, I had the task of entirely redoing the garage. I had to run service and completely wire it for my needs.
    My garage is my shop...so I had to have light. Lots of light.
    Originally, due to cost, I bought several 4' twin tube light fixtures. They worked ok, but they certainly dont like cold temps. They also dont like on/off cycles. Fluorescent bulbs like to turn on and stay on. They last MUCH longer this way.
    After having a couple go out, I began to look into LED bulbs to replace them using the existing fixtures.
    The trouble with doing this is the cost of the bulbs. I found that to get good ones, I would be paying quite a bit including the fixtures, since my old ones were the cheapie $10 ones and they have lasted about a year before taking a dump. Some have made it a bit longer, but they wont have to make it much longer.
    The other problem with the cheap lights is the ballast. They are generally all replaceable, depending on how much work you want to put into it, and how much money. Eventually, youll need to replace the ballast, even with LED bulbs in them, as you are still using them to fire the lights.
    I found my local Menards had a good 4' twin LED light that I could surface mount to the ceiling (an important consideration for me, but not for everyone). They arent cheap, but go on sale fairly regularly for $40. Ill be using 10 in a 24x36 shop on two circuits.
    Lithonia Lighting
    For my needs, these fit the bill quite nicely for the output, mounting and power usage.
    Power is something else to watch. The LED bulbs for the fluorescent fixtures sometimes use just as much power as the fluorescent bulbs they replaced. Depends on style and manufacturer.
    The ones Im using use about 32 watts total. Basically one bulb from an old light, and more light output.

Now, that said, I do know a guy who built a nice pole barn and used the cheaper hanging lights from Menards. They are $25, have two "lights" to simulate the output of a standard 4' twin tube fixture, and work very well. If I could surface mount those, Id have used them.
    I will be using one over each workbench though.
    The Smart Electrician

I guess my point of all of this is a couple things.
    Fluorescent light fixtures with LED bulbs can cost as much or more than LED lights. No sense spending more if its not necessary.
    LED lights do not have cold startup issues like fluorescent do.
    LED fixtures generally are about half the wattage use of fluorescent fixtures, assuming decent quality. This also depends on output, but in general, they are much less.
    This savings can actually pay for the lights themselves over fluorescent.
    When Im done, Ill have twice the light I currently have, and will use no more electricity to get it. For me, thats a big deal.

The above lights are very similar to others, but its a good idea to be familiar with how much light output you want per light, and the color temperature, so that you can make accurate comparisons to others you might be looking at.
    Im not sure Id have considered the cheaper LED light had I not seen them in use, in person. I prefer to stick to known names as they are generally better quality.
    Maddog likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 09:30 AM
    Thanks
    I bought 4' long LED fixtures at BJs (like a Costco). Each box had everything needed to install from scratch and they were ~$27 each. No more flicking florescent tubes when I go out into the garage in the winter!
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    I am guessing that maddog is starting from scratch installing new fixtures. If that is the case don't even think twice - just get LEDs and be done with it.

I have multiple flourescent fixtures in my barn and shop. I've tired of buying bulbs and still not having the light I desire. When I installed these fixtures there was no such thing as LED.

I bought a cheap 4' LED shop light from Lowe's last week to try out. I had a dark corner in the basement where I used it. Although it is soft white - ~2700k - it's fine for where it is. I am going to start replacing the barn fixtures with LEDs as I can afford to - just have to watch the Kelvin rating as I want 5000k lights in there.
    Maddog, PaDave, IndianaJim and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Thanks
    I bought a 10 pack of Honeywell Shop lights from Sam's. They were on sale for $22 each. Wish I would have bought more. Honeywell LED 4s Club

I had 4 florescents in my shop. We put up 9 of these, now we got some light. 4 of these were twice as bright as the old lights. I'd say if you are starting from new just buy good LED lights and don't waste your time.
    PaDave likes this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 08:58 PM
    Thanks
    The life expectancy of LEDs can be up to 50,000 hours. So yeah, swapping over may be an initial expense, but you shouldn't have to change anything for many years once completed.
    2012 JD 2320
    1985 JD 318
    1952 JD MC
    1974 IH 784 4WD

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MDrew View Post
    I bought a 10 pack of Honeywell Shop lights from Sam's. They were on sale for $22 each. Wish I would have bought more. Honeywell LED 4s Club

I had 4 florescents in my shop. We put up 9 of these, now we got some light. 4 of these were twice as bright as the old lights. I'd say if you are starting from new just buy good LED lights and don't waste your time.

I bought one of those with the plug in cord and pull chain from Sam's to use over my workbench about 2 years ago. That helped make my decision to replace all the overhead fluorescent lights with LED's, but these had to be wired up.

Dave
    PaDave and MDrew like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:23 AM
    Thanks
    If you would like to get a lot of options, I'd recommend going here: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=278420

The post is by a guy that is a lighting pro, he really knows his stuff.
    Maddog and MDrew like this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubber For This Useful Post:

ZachinCO (01-07-2019)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast