We had our house appraised this month to get an idea of what we could possibly sell it for, and the appraisal came back better than expected; though I know we wouldn't get that amount, which is another story. Anyway, my wife is jumping the gun and looking at houses and found one she liked; but she only sees the cosmetics and not the nitty gritty. There are things I like about this place and things that I have doubts about.
Since I've never had a well; what are some of the things those of you with wells would suggest to look for, what are deal breakers, and the like? I'm just trying to get an overview at this time. I did find out some information on the well from the state's water agency web site, which is based on a March 2000 installation time frame. No records were found of repairs or replacements or a new well drilled. A water quality analysis wasn't available. The one thing that spooks me is the depth. I'm also concerned that the pump and drop pipe could be near the end of their life given the age.
- The pump was manufactured by Starite.
- The pump intake depth is 658'.
- The 'drop pipe' size is 1" galvanized.
- The total depth is 924'.
- The static level is 555'.
- The pumping level is 600'.
- The well produces 9GPM.
- Disinfection type is 1-cup of NTH.
- The well goes through layers of decomposed granite, shale, sandstone, clay and combinations thereof.
- The casing material is nominal 4" and 6" steel with a 3/16" wall thickness.
- A 2 to 2-1/2 sack grout mix depending on depth was used.
So what are your thoughts? Thanks!