Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: The shed

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-09-2019 @ 07:46 AM
    Thanks

The shed

This is it. No pole barn for us, as mentioned in another thread. It is 20x36 which is smaller than the 30x40 pole barn we were contemplating, but it is complete, with cement floor, fully framed, lit in and out, and has an "attic" to increase the storage area, which is all it will be used for. We will put a new roof on it, replace the big doors (current are barn door type that don't keep snakes out - I've seen the skins) and improve the lighting with some LED fixtures. Long term it will need some sort of driveway so we can access it in bad weather, and a vehicle turn around area for the same reason, and we will design some sort of lifting system to get stuff up to the "attic" without having to carry it up the stairs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1212181457b.jpg   1212181459.jpg   1212181500.jpg   1212181500a.jpg   1212181459a.jpg  

1212181459d.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:09 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,582 Posts

Looks pretty good, except for the leaky roof , that you are going to replace.
    OxPath and PJR832 like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 01:07 PM
    Thanks
    I would kill to have that shed . A little fixing and you are good to go .
    Last edited by kevin37b; 12-13-2018 at 10:20 AM.
    etcallhome and JDSwan87 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 11:58 AM
    Thanks
    Looks to be in pretty good shape. I wish mine that came with the new place had as little deterioration as that.

What's your plan for this one?
    etcallhome and JDSwan87 like this.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks

The roof

Yes, the roof is the only immediate issue. USAA gave us an estimate of $3900 to fix it, but I have not found a roofer yet who would do it for less than $5500. USAA is a great company, and they said they would reconsider if I provided them with an itemized estimate, but getting a local roofer to itemize their estimate is like getting a politician to admit that the government has enough money. I had someone out there yesterday and when I asked about an itemized estimate you could hear the tap dancing over the phone.
    keane likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Thanks
    Just curious... why is USAA involved in this? Was the roof damaged after you bought the place or was it already needing replaced when you bought it?

If it was needing replaced when you bought the place, or if you've been there a long time and the roof is just worn out, I don't think that insurance will - or should - pay to replace it.

Or did you get lucky and have a horrible hail storm right at the end of the roof's useful life?
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:47 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drynoc View Post
    Yes, the roof is the only immediate issue. USAA gave us an estimate of $3900 to fix it, but I have not found a roofer yet who would do it for less than $5500. USAA is a great company, and they said they would reconsider if I provided them with an itemized estimate, but getting a local roofer to itemize their estimate is like getting a politician to admit that the government has enough money. I had someone out there yesterday and when I asked about an itemized estimate you could hear the tap dancing over the phone.

Quote is easy, figure out size of the roof (sq ft), go to your local lumber supply store and select your preferred shingle and get a cost of enough plus 10% to cover the roof, don't forget the ridge cap!
    Add in enough tar paper, ice shield (if required), and nails. All take all those costs, multiply by 2 to get labor, and you have your install cost. If you know there is sheeting damage, you can add in the cost of a few sheets of plywood/OSB as well.
    Then tear off, this gets a bit trickier. Easiest is quote the cost of a roll off delivered/picked up, and emptied. Weight will vary by size of roof and layers of material that must be removed.
    The labor will again be about the same as the install labor rate above.

So:

Materials (shingles, tar paper, nails, etc.) = $2,000
    Install labor = $2,000
    Roll off/dump = $500
    Tear off labor = $2,000

Total cost to R&R roof = $6,500
    keane and kevin37b like this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks

Keeping up with the questions

Thanks for the interest.

There was a wind storm on 3/29/18 that USAA recognizes (also got us a new roof on the house) so they will pay minus the deductible.

It's for storage only: trailer (in the pictures), all implements and attachments for the 1025R, unused lawn furniture, etc.

Two estimates came in at around $5500, but since that disagrees with USAA's own estimate they want it itemized. Contractors don't seem to want to itemize.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drynoc View Post
    Thanks for the interest.

There was a wind storm on 3/29/18 that USAA recognizes (also got us a new roof on the house) so they will pay minus the deductible.

It's for storage only: trailer (in the pictures), all implements and attachments for the 1025R, unused lawn furniture, etc.

Two estimates came in at around $5500, but since that disagrees with USAA's own estimate they want it itemized. Contractors don't seem to want to itemize.
    I wish I could get a "shed" like that....just curious in the three years we had our house we had similar roof damage, from what i can tell in the pic. I have a bunch of shingles that have blown off and damage to flashing. I've been wanting to file a claim but haven't had the money for the deductible yet, but I don't want to wait to long, not to sure how old the roof is...was it a pretty straight forward process I know insurance companies policies vary, but I'm pretty new to home ownership.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TOPHER5150 View Post
    I wish I could get a "shed" like that....just curious in the three years we had our house we had similar roof damage, from what i can tell in the pic. I have a bunch of shingles that have blown off and damage to flashing. I've been wanting to file a claim but haven't had the money for the deductible yet, but I don't want to wait to long, not to sure how old the roof is...was it a pretty straight forward process I know insurance companies policies vary, but I'm pretty new to home ownership.
    If you have a claim, you'd best get it filed as soon after "the event" as possible. Regardless of whether you have enough to cover the deductible or not. I think that there may be a 1 year time frame on filing a homeowners claim.

Also, since you're "new to home ownership", make sure that your Homeowners Policy has "replacement cost" in it. This is pretty standard nowadays and doesn't cost that much more. But it can make a HUGE difference in how your claim is settled. I bought my first house in December of 1988 (WOW! 30 years now!) and knew to get replacement cost on it after having had an insurance class when I was in college. Within 18 hours of closing on the house I had to file a claim due to a burst pipe in the empty house. Ended up being a $28k claim on a house that I bought for $54,900. Not having the replacement cost would have probably cut my insurance settlement in half due to the age of the house, carpet, etc. It was well worth the extra $100 or so added to the annual premium.
    TOPHER5150 likes this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast