Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Furnace for garage heat

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 01:22 PM
    Thanks

Furnace for garage heat

Hi folks,

While running the risk of starting yet another "how do I heat my garage" thread, I've come across the idea of using a forced air, propane furnace. Recently, I found a couple furnaces on CL that were pulled from mobile homes and for the price, they seem like a great option for the garage.

It seems there are up-draft and down-draft style hot air furnaces. The one's coming from mobile homes seem to be down-draft style and might be more difficult to use how I'm thinking...

Has anyone setup this type of thing in their shop? My idea was that I could get it hooked up with the necessary power and then have a propane tank setup outside and pay the propane people to hook up the furnace. I was thinking that I would not need any duct work...just let the thing blow air into the 28x24 garage. It would also rise onto the second floor and heat the workshop upstairs. The garage and upstairs are insulated.

Any thoughts? Crazy idea or good idea?
    Gizmo2, tj1 and Titleist1 like this.
    John

2015 JD 2025R Classic - 54D, 220R FEL, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box, Frontier AF10F Plow, Frontier AP11F 42" Pallet Forks
    Tag Alongs: JD #15 Cart, 48" Poly Lawn Roller, JD Dethatcher
    Chainsaws: Echo CS-330T, Husqvarna 562XP-AT, Dolmar 7300
    Snowblower: Simplicity P1728E

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks
    Hmm...maybe this should have been in the Barns and Buildings thread.

Mods: Please feel free to move!
    John

2015 JD 2025R Classic - 54D, 220R FEL, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box, Frontier AF10F Plow, Frontier AP11F 42" Pallet Forks

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:25 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 994 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM45 View Post
    Hmm...maybe this should have been in the Barns and Buildings thread.

Mods: Please feel free to move!
    Moved it.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Superglidesport For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (02-05-2019), JohnM45 (02-04-2019), Kennyd (02-04-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:53 PM
    Thanks
    My neighbor does this with a used oil burner furnace he picked up for real cheap. He had a friend that does HVAC and watched for a good one that he was replacing to grab for him. He fashioned a couple simple homemade duct elbows coming off the top to blow hot air into the garage space. Is there a way to do the install so it is compatible with vapors typically found in garages? I am sure his is not.
    MDrew likes this.
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Titleist1 View Post
    My neighbor does this with a used oil burner furnace he picked up for real cheap. He had a friend that does HVAC and watched for a good one that he was replacing to grab for him. He fashioned a couple simple homemade duct elbows coming off the top to blow hot air into the garage space. Is there a way to do the install so it is compatible with vapors typically found in garages? I am sure his is not.

Sounds like its fairly effective at heating?

I have a couple options for exhaust...the garage is outfitted with a chimney for a wood stove, which I could go that route, but I'd like something more on a thermostat to just keep the garage at a nice, comfortable 50 or 55 degrees. I figured if I went witha propane furnace, worst case is I direct vent it outside with a 3 or 4 inch pipe...or whatever is required by the furnace.
    Titleist1 likes this.
    John

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Thanks
    It really comes down to btu demand,,
    if you have an uninsulated shed that will need 400,000 btu's to get comfortable,,
    and your mobile home furnace is 20,000 btu's,,,
    you may not be happy with the installation,,,

If the opposite ratio is installed,, it will be more comfortable,,
    I want to be warm,,,,
    Titleist1 likes this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:53 PM
    Thanks
    Hmmmm......Lebanon, PA........wood stove chimney.....hmmmmm....

Have you thought of picking up a small used coal stoker?

Coal is cheap fuel in your area compared to LP, oil & pellets, thermostat control, can use direct vent or chimney exhaust, minimal work getting fuel compared to wood, minimal tending compared to wood, more BTU's compared to pellets probably enough to heat workshop too. There are downsides depending where you live with respect to the ash.

Still have the vapor / flame issue to deal with but it can be done.
    PaDave likes this.
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Titleist1 View Post
    Hmmmm......Lebanon, PA........wood stove chimney.....hmmmmm....

Have you thought of picking up a small used coal stoker?

Coal is cheap fuel in your area compared to LP, oil & pellets, thermostat control, can use direct vent or chimney exhaust, minimal work getting fuel compared to wood, minimal tending compared to wood, more BTU's compared to pellets probably enough to heat workshop too. There are downsides depending where you live with respect to the ash.

Still have the vapor / flame issue to deal with but it can be done.
    Coal can certainly be had here quite easily - I was born and raised up in Schuylkill County...a hard-headed coal cracker...

I burned coal for about 10 years in our first house and now burn wood in the house, plus a baseboard-hot water-oil furnace. For the shop, I'm looking for a "flip the switch" solution. Right now I'm using the torpedo heater and a mr.heater propane cylinder mounted heater. Works okay, but ultimately, I just want to keep the garage temp in the 50's...

I'm either working on one of my old motorcycles, or upstairs in the wood shop doing a project. The concrete floor is like a block of ice and the cast iron table saw, jointer and planer act the same way upstairs. Keeping the shop around 50 degrees would sure feel a lot better, I think.
    PaDave and Titleist1 like this.
    John

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks
    My garage is 30X40 with 10' ceilings called pole barn. The ceiling is insulated, the walls are not. I use a kerosene furnace from a mobile home. Down draft type. I burn offroad deisel. I have no smell and can keep the garage 50 deg with no problem. I am sure it will do higher but above 50 deg or so is rather warm for me to work in. I like the downdraft as I set the furnace to swept the heated air flow directly across the floor warming the floor at the same time. The concrete floor stays comfortable with the rest of the area nice to work in. I made a square frame with angle iron then took metal flashing and made a curve from the back of the top of the frame to the bottom front. This forced the air to the bottom and across the floor. I sealed up the rest of the square with the left over flashinig I had. I think I set my furnace about 2' above the ground on top of the metal frame. So far I have had this setup for about 15 years and have had no problems, even on windy days with temps in the teens. So yes it is duable.
    Titleist1 and JohnM45 like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:40 AM
    Thanks
    Make sure you use a dial type thermostat. I bought a nice digital one for my shop. They don't work below 32 degrees.
    Gizmo2 and JohnM45 like this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast