• 5 Post By Roger47
  • 2 Post By nastorino

Thread: Forgot about the shop water line

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:57 AM
    Thanks

Forgot about the shop water line

When we saw the cold weather was coming in we made sure all of the hoses were disconnected from the faucets on the house and shop. It got down to 14.9*F last night. The shop only has roof insulation, but will hardley ever get cold enough to freeze the water line going to the faucet. The water line has insulation on it also. Well I got to thinking today that I better check the line and sure enough the outside faucet, which is a frost free type, wouldn't turn. The line has a Tee with a faucet inside also. It would turn on, but no water would come out. I checked the line and didn't see any bulges or splits so I used a propane torch to warm the pipe and after a minute I got water flow. I let it run for a few minutes until it had full flow again, shut it off , and turn the stop and waste valve to drain the above ground pipe. I guess I got lucky this time.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, grnspot110 and 8 others like this.
    John Deere: 322, 318, 316, 214, GT225, LX255, 165, 111H, 111, SX95, SX75, RX73, F525, STX38
    John Deere Gator 6x4 #1
    John Deere Gator 6x4 #2
    Sears: SS14, GT18, 16/6
    Craftsman: 18.5 46, LT4000
    Cub Cadet: 1450, 124, 1220
    Simplicity: 725, 3415H
    Homelite: CT-10
    MTD: 990
    Montgomery Ward: 14 variable speed
    Dynamark: 12/38
    Bolens: 1050
    Case: 444

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cjet69 For This Useful Post:

Roger47 (02-07-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,953 Times in 2,914 Posts
    I agree, you got lucky.
    Sure wish i did.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

Cjet69 (02-05-2019)

6. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    I agree, you got lucky.
    Sure wish i did.
    You have all kinds of luck Giz, it’s just all bad
    Kennyd, Gizmo2, Tomfive and 4 others like this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to balrog006 For This Useful Post:

Cjet69 (02-06-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

9. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,953 Times in 2,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    You have all kinds of luck Giz, it’s just all bad
    I think you're correct. But I will say it's not as bad as others here on GTT.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

Cjet69 (02-06-2019)

11. Top | #5

Last Online
    06-17-2019 @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks

Your thread reminded me . . .

. . . to blow out the line to our garden hydrant. So, THANK YOU!

It is a 5' bury but is only a few feet down where the line comes out thru the house foundation. It may be OK, but why take the chance. This February is shaking out to be a cold one.
    Gizmo2 and Cjet69 like this.

12. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:31 PM
    Thanks
    I don't trust older frost free faucets so I blow out the water line that feeds them. I just cut in a ball valve to block the loop and then a tee with a ball valve and a garden fitting so I could drain into a 5gal bucket. I have a air line to garden hose adapter I picked up on amazon. I use it to blow out the hoses as well as the copper pipe feeding the faucets.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, Cjet69 and 1 others like this.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

13. Top | #7

Last Online
    06-17-2019 @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nastorino View Post
    I don't trust older frost free faucets so I blow out the water line that feeds them. I just cut in a ball valve to block the loop and then a tee with a ball valve and a garden fitting so I could drain into a 5gal bucket. I have a air line to garden hose adapter I picked up on amazon. I use it to blow out the hoses as well as the copper pipe feeding the faucets.
    I've had one of those "frost-free faucets" freeze and break. Luckily I noticed the leak shortly after turning it on in the spring to run a sprinkler. The leak was downstream from the shut-off point of frost free faucet. It was installed with upslope to the hose end so would not drain out when off. That was corrected and a replacement installed. No more problems with that one.

Our previous place of residence did not have frost free faucets. Just regular hose bibs sweat soldered on to copper. There were 3, each fed from a stop and waste valve in the basement utility room near a floor drain. That part of the install was good. However, one of the stop and waste valves was installed backwards with the drain on the upstream side. I also like to blow out these lines, so the first fall we were there, I brought an air hose down and proceeded to blow them out. When I took the drain cap off the backwards one, it dribbled a little. Must have had the hole mostly plugged. I stuck the air hose on it and thought I was blowing it out when actually I was filling our house plumbing with air. Removed the air hose and air and water started blasting out. I hollered to SWMBO to come and shut the water off while I have my thumb over the hole. There are two shutoff valves for the supply, one on each side of the water meter, a quarter turn ball valve and a 7 kajillion turn gate valve. So you know which one she decided to turn off. Then I asked to go turn on a faucet to relieve the pressure. Me: "Did you open a faucet" Her: "Yes, but it spit at me so I turned it back off." Me: "I don't give a $#!+. Turn it back on and leave it." After a few minutes, the pressure was relieved so I could remove my thumb and put the cap back on.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, bigbear and 2 others like this.

14. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger47 View Post
    I've had one of those "frost-free faucets" freeze and break. Luckily I noticed the leak shortly after turning it on in the spring to run a sprinkler. The leak was downstream from the shut-off point of frost free faucet. It was installed with upslope to the hose end so would not drain out when off. That was corrected and a replacement installed. No more problems with that one.

Our previous place of residence did not have frost free faucets. Just regular hose bibs sweat soldered on to copper. There were 3, each fed from a stop and waste valve in the basement utility room near a floor drain. That part of the install was good. However, one of the stop and waste valves was installed backwards with the drain on the upstream side. I also like to blow out these lines, so the first fall we were there, I brought an air hose down and proceeded to blow them out. When I took the drain cap off the backwards one, it dribbled a little. Must have had the hole mostly plugged. I stuck the air hose on it and thought I was blowing it out when actually I was filling our house plumbing with air. Removed the air hose and air and water started blasting out. I hollered to SWMBO to come and shut the water off while I have my thumb over the hole. There are two shutoff valves for the supply, one on each side of the water meter, a quarter turn ball valve and a 7 kajillion turn gate valve. So you know which one she decided to turn off. Then I asked to go turn on a faucet to relieve the pressure. Me: "Did you open a faucet" Her: "Yes, but it spit at me so I turned it back off." Me: "I don't give a $#!+. Turn it back on and leave it." After a few minutes, the pressure was relieved so I could remove my thumb and put the cap back on.
    LOL no i install ball valves only so I can easily identify open and closed. If nothing else so I can talk my wife through shutting the water off god forbid I'm not home. In the spring new bibs are going on however I think I'm upgrading to the hot/cold style ones. Unfortunately I'll need twice the amount of ball valves on the interior to shut off as well as act as drains. But it will be nice to wash the truck in the spring and fall with warm water
    mjncad and Gizmo2 like this.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements