3 car + Storage Garage Needed-Chime in!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: 3 car + Storage Garage Needed-Chime in!

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 06:30 PM
    Thanks

3 car + Storage Garage Needed-Chime in!

Hey everyone.

So we live in New England, and we have a very large SUV and a pick up truck. So both large vehicles. I wanted probably a 3 car garage plus storage for my x758 also, and all it’s implements and garden tools etc. we have a large 1 car or small 2 car garage and it’s simply too small for our current vehicles, would barely fit two cars but no room for the x758

So the time has come to beef it up and go for bigger. What size would you suggest?
    What would be the building footprint?
    Wondering if we should add a second floor and dormer window it or a full second floor...for storage, maybe in future add a bar and pool table up there or just keep everything on the ground floor ?

The garage would be backing out on to a quiet street, or I can put a turnaround outside the garage, but this will add some serious additional footprint to our small half acre lot, we don’t want to lose too much lawn or green area.

Wondering if I should get a contractor to build and oversee it, or if there’s good savings to be had and good quality from a shed company that come and knock it out in one day or something to that affect

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated so I don’t make mistakes etc

I’m thinking I’ll probably have to go with an asphalt driveway or turnaround due to the snow we get here in New England

Thanks in advance!!
    Gizmo2, PJR832 and Toughsox like this.
    x758,
    Front Mounted Dethatcher
    Rear Aerator
    Cart
    Lawn Stripe Kit
    25G Click-n-Go Sprayer
    Rear 3-point-Hitch and PTO
    Snowblower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:46 PM
    Thanks
    They're never big enough. I keep telling my bride I need an adult sized toy box, 60' x 100'---with room to add on. The attached garage on our home has three overhead doors and is 28 x 70....and full to the gills. Plus I rent three garages in town.

If you have the real estate, go as big as you can and rent the extra space to guys like me. The only thing I'll caution you about is friends and relatives, they'll want you to store their junk for nothing and WILL fill it up. We're trying to leave MN for a more tax friendly state, otherwise, I would have already done this here.
    mjncad, PJR832 and Spectre like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:12 PM
    Thanks
    I'm building my own shop 50x100. It's a ton of work and time. My best advice is hire it done. I say that somewhat tongue-in-cheek and somewhat seriously. It takes some real expensive equipment to do the work. Renting it is big money. Buying it to use and resell is an expensive investment. The carpentry skills aren't a too taxing. The time and have the help has been challenging for my project. Can these Jokers really build a shed that big?

I'd say you need to decide how much you want to spend and go from there. You can design kind of what you want on a number of building web sites. You don't have to buy from any of them, just use their sites for design ideas. I did that and then used Menards web site to get a cost estimate for materials. I got a quote from Morton that about knocked my socks off and it didn't include most of the electric or the heated floor.

Private guys that build pole buildings were much cheaper. Still more than a cheap guy like me wanted to spend. The local guy was booked up. I found an Amish group, they were booked up also. That put me on the path of doing it with my 2 boys and me. The boys and I have enjoyed doing it even though one hasn't been able to be there much. The base goes slow and we've had plenty of problems, some from inexperience and some from just plain bad luck.

I'd say set a budget, get an idea of what that buys and go from there.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, PJR832 and 2 others like this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:13 AM
    Thanks
    Eire:

There is no magic formula for what the right size is other than what you need and want and can afford. Of course I suspect the local building officials will have their say with building codes and setbacks.

We have a 3-car garage that is about 750 square feet. In that garage I've got my wife's Rogue, My F-250, my 4200 and X754. I used to have a Honda Accord in there too. In addition to the vehicles I have a welder, a small horizontal bandsaw, a 20-gallon vertical compressor and a toolbox, plus a bunch of crap.

If I had my way, that garage would have at least another 250 square feet, 10' high garage doors with one being 20' wide and the other 10' wide. I would have space to open car doors completely without banging into the garage walls or the vehicle next to it. I would also have a man-door.

Since I'm not a fan of stairs; I vote for one level.

The bottom line is that it will fill up faster than you think and build as big as you can now, not later.
    Gizmo2, PJR832 and Spectre like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:37 PM
    Thanks
    I built s shop that is 28í deep by 30í wide. I would say itís barely big enough. It what I would describe it as 2 1/2 car garage, built on a slab, regular framed with vinyl siding. When you get into larger buildings is when pole buildings start to get cheaper.

A couple things to think of, how to wire, will you weld or have a big air compressor some day? How Iíll you heat it? Will you be able to build on a slab or do you need footings? Some places have building requirements and will require footings.

Two mistakes I made. I work on my own vehicles. I should have built taller. You can get a hoist for 3k or a little less. My ceiling is a little over 8 foot tall, not reall high enough. I also have two regular sized garage doors. One of them should have been a wider and taller door. Of course I wish it was bigger.
    mjncad, PJR832 and Spectre like this.
    2018 2025r, FEL, 60" autoconnect deck, pallet forks, some other stuff.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    Eire:

There is no magic formula for what the right size is other than what you need and want and can afford. Of course I suspect the local building officials will have their say with building codes and setbacks.

We have a 3-car garage that is about 750 square feet. In that garage I've got my wife's Rogue, My F-250, my 4200 and X754. I used to have a Honda Accord in there too. In addition to the vehicles I have a welder, a small horizontal bandsaw, a 20-gallon vertical compressor and a toolbox, plus a bunch of crap.

If I had my way, that garage would have at least another 250 square feet, 10' high garage doors with one being 20' wide and the other 10' wide. I would have space to open car doors completely without banging into the garage walls or the vehicle next to it. I would also have a man-door.

Since I'm not a fan of stairs; I vote for one level.

The bottom line is that it will fill up faster than you think and build as big as you can now, not later.
    I don’t do any welding and I’m not a mechanic or shop worker or anything like that. The most I’d do is service the outdoor equipment like the snow blowers the x758 etc. possibly oil changes on the cars that’s about it, and need room for 3 cars, the x758 and room for a workshop bench for typical bits of DIY around the house

I’d like to be able to open the doors of the vehicles without them touching

So with all that what footprint do you think that building would have?
    mjncad and PJR832 like this.
    x758,
    Front Mounted Dethatcher
    Rear Aerator
    Cart
    Lawn Stripe Kit
    25G Click-n-Go Sprayer
    Snowblower

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 11:58 AM
    Thanks
    A single bay for the x758 and the attachments won't be enough. My shed is the same size as one of my bays and there's no way I could fit my tractor, cart, dethatcher and bagger in a single bay....not without creating a trip hazard or feeling crowded.
    PJR832 and Toughsox like this.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nastorino View Post
    A single bay for the x758 and the attachments won't be enough. My shed is the same size as one of my bays and there's no way I could fit my tractor, cart, dethatcher and bagger in a single bay....not without creating a trip hazard or feeling crowded.
    So for a 3 car are we talking a 4 car garage? (3 cars and one loved GT)
    mjncad, PJR832 and nastorino like this.
    x758,
    Front Mounted Dethatcher
    Rear Aerator
    Cart
    Lawn Stripe Kit
    25G Click-n-Go Sprayer
    Snowblower

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:43 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with everyone else, you can't go too big! But, for full size truck (especially crew cab), you want a bare minimum of 24' deep inside dimension. The garage I built at my last house was was 24' external dimension with 2x4 walls. It was cozy. In this house, I have 24' inside dimension (plus the 2X6 walls). If you have or are considering a crew cab long bed truck, I would shoot for more like 26' minimum.

Lee
    mjncad likes this.
    2305, 200CX loader w/53" bucket, 62C MMM, and 47 SB.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    Build as big as you can. I built a 40X30 thinking Iíd never fill it. Well guess what.

I need a bigger shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast