Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree224Likes

Thread: My 30 x 48 barn build

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:37 AM
    Thanks

My 30 x 48 barn build

I thought it was time to start my own thread on my barn build as there always seems to be people who enjoy this type of construction.

To start, the plans...

- 30- x 48- post barn building with 13' interior height.
    - 12" overhang on all sides
    - 4" concrete and 5-6" concrete at the location for the two post car lift
    - two 10' x 10' doors on the north gable end and one 8' x 8' door at the south gable end
    - one entry door on the west wall toward the north end
    - two 3' x 3' windows evenly spaced on the west wall
    All windows and doors are insulated.

Why did I choose this building dimension and door size?

Well on reason is cost, 36' width was considerably more and it was much cheaper to go longer than wider. Also, the site location is a little awkward as the septic mound is south of the building and the property line is just to the East. This limited what I was going to be able to do. Also, I plan on finishing and heating this building so I did not want a huge building anyways. Just large enough for a couple vehicles, my tractor and a couple toys.

The 13' interior height is very important to me as I will be installing a 2 post car lift as I do almost all maintenance myself on my immediate family as well as close friends vehicles. A car lift is really not horribly expensive and will make life so much easier.

The door size was a struggle for me. My wife and I just finished building our dream home and a lot of care was taken to ensure the house was dimensioned correctly without having any features that were too big to too small or overdone. Since the North side of the gable end of the barn will be the focal point of the barn as you drive up the lane, I want the doors to look symmetrical and fit the building size correctly. I just felt that anything bigger than a 10 x 10 would make the barn look too industrial. Plus that door size should fit anything I will be putting in the barn. The rear 8 x 8 door is just an entry door for my tractor and side by side and should be large enough.

Features...

Our house has a black metal roof with white vertical siding. Its VERY country looking and we want the barn to compliment the house as much as possible. So we are going with a black metal roof, autumn red siding and white trim. We even are going so far as to match the barn door panels with the garage door panels on the house. There will be a copula with a weather vane on top.

Who is building this barn?

After about a year of planning and getting quotes I decided to go with Pacemaker buildings. There were about in the middle price wise with other quotes I got but they allow me to save some series coin on doing a lot of the work myself. I am pretty handy as I am a mechanical engineer who has worked in the construction industry for 15 years so I am capable of doing much of the work myself and if I need help (which is usually the case) I have a lot of contacts that I can refer to. Also, My family farm is three miles away so heavy equipment is readily available. So basically Pacemaker will be building the shell, pouring the concrete and installing the windows and doors. I will be doing all the site work, electrical, drainage, and interior finishing.

I also went with Pacemaker as they have built another building for my family and I like their work. The end of the construction process I will review them so others on this forum who might be looking for a barn builder may have an idea how they are to work with.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, MDrew and 5 others like this.
    2018 1023e

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks

Site work Started

The site work is now complete with about 10-14" of gravel base to build the elevation up about 2" from the level ground around it. This "should" give me plenty of finish floor elevation height once the concrete is poured. I used my 1023e for much of it but I broke down and got my dad's JD 7820 to finish the digging and move stone as it was just taking too long with my little tractor.

Also, had to recruit my son for some power washing after we were done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Digging foundation 1.jpg   Digging foundation 2.jpg   digging foundation 3.jpg   Foundation 1.jpg   Cleaning Tractor.jpg  

Kennyd, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 7 others like this.
    2018 1023e

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:01 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,951 Times in 2,913 Posts
    etcallhome likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Thanks
    Yours is EXACTLY the size I have planned so I will be wathing this very closely. Good luck with it and cant wait to see how it progresses.
    MDrew and jdforever like this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 11:46 PM
    Thanks
    Is 5-6" of concrete under the car lift going to be enough?
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, MDrew and 1 others like this.
    1975 JD 400
    1978 JD 316
    2018 JD 1025R

8. Top | #6
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:01 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,951 Times in 2,913 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mopeman View Post
    I was wondering the same thing.
    etcallhome, MDrew and jdforever like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mopeman View Post
    I was worried about the same thing but my uncle built a very nice shop at least 10 years ago and has about 5inches of concrete under his two post lift he uses every day and there does not seem to be an issue. The contractor also claimed that would be plenty of thickness. I will find out eventually but it is not a big concern.

Also, I did not share this but after the topsoil was scraped the clay was then compacted by the 7820 and let settle for a few weeks or so through a couple freeze and thaw cycles and then compacted again. Then with every gravel scoop of the 7820 the gravel was compacted little by little. It used up a lot of stone and took a lot of time but the site is really firm. Before the concrete goes down the contractor will use a compacting machine to go over it one last time.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, MDrew and 1 others like this.
    2018 1023e

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Thanks
    Minimum suggested thickness for a 10K lift is usually 4 inches. But while that may the case I wouldn't do it without at least 6......thats my butt going underneath there and better to be safe than sorry.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2 and jdforever like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:39 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,458 Times in 1,583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1023Easy View Post
    I was worried about the same thing but my uncle built a very nice shop at least 10 years ago and has about 5inches of concrete under his two post lift he uses every day and there does not seem to be an issue. The contractor also claimed that would be plenty of thickness. I will find out eventually but it is not a big concern.

Also, I did not share this but after the topsoil was scraped the clay was then compacted by the 7820 and let settle for a few weeks or so through a couple freeze and thaw cycles and then compacted again. Then with every gravel scoop of the 7820 the gravel was compacted little by little. It used up a lot of stone and took a lot of time but the site is really firm. Before the concrete goes down the contractor will use a compacting machine to go over it one last time.

Quote Originally Posted by Toughsox;3216986[B
    ]Minimum suggested thickness for a 10K lift is usually 4 inches.[/B] But while that may the case I wouldn't do it without at least 6......thats my butt going underneath there and better to be safe than sorry.

With the use of fiberglass in concrete now instead of wire, I don't think I would trust 5" for a lift.

We poured the FIL driveway 2 years ago this spring. I know it has at least 4" of concrete and in from the edges 6-12" at least 5". I noticed a month or two ago where we went from the driveway to the walk a hair line crack at least 24" long.
    Nephew to my FIL who has been a concrete finisher -contractor for the last 45+ years talked my FIL out of using wire and just order the fiberglass and high strength concrete mix.

The worse thing nothing was driven on the driveway for close to 3 weeks after it was poured and his Blazer has been out of the garage maybe 30 times since this was poured.

IMO if I was planning on putting in a lift, I would put at least a sheet of wire in the concrete where the lift is gone.
    Gizmo2, jdforever and Toughsox like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:58 PM
    Thanks
    I would buy some sonatube and pour columns where the hoist will be.
    Probably overkill, but that never burns you in the long run.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast