Construction dummy question
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Construction dummy question

  1. Top | #1
    userjh160's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Location
    North Louisiana
    Posts
    324
    Thanks
    158
    Thanked 50 Times in 23 Posts

    Construction dummy question

    So the guys showed up to set posts and started framing our shop today. We specified a 10' lean to on one side. My brain assumed a 10' opening into the lean. What we got is a 103" opening not including posts. With posts it is 113".

    If post width should be included in total width, then I would think the opening should be 110".

    This wouldn't be an issue, but this lean to was for our trailer, which unfortunately is 105" wide. Am I ignorant of some common knowledge construction width thingy?

    It would be a pretty easy fix at this point, probably a lot more difficult to remedy after tomorrow.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    mjncad and Toughsox like this.
    2017 3038E; RC2048, 4' Box Blade, Forks, 5' Rear Blade, 2017 Z920M

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:42 PM
    Location
    Berlin, MA
    Posts
    4,604
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 869 Times in 664 Posts
    If I understand your post correctly, you are building a shed of some sort and as an add-on, you requested a lean-to be built on one side of that shed and specified that the lean-to be 10'?

    Typically a lean-to is spec'd to the drip-line. So if you ask for a 10' lean-to you get 10' of covered area as measured from the exterior wall of the shed. But the posts for that are pretty much never going to be out at the 10' marker. Posts are set 12"-16" in from the 10' line. The support beams are mounted at the top of the posts and then your roof rafters rest on the support beams and run out past them.

    Here's a drawing of a lean to spec'd out to 15' 10".

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1AttachedTT1.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	687280
    mjncad, Gizmo2, rtgt and 3 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

    userjh160 (05-21-2019)

  5. Top | #3
    userjh160's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Location
    North Louisiana
    Posts
    324
    Thanks
    158
    Thanked 50 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    If I understand your post correctly, you are building a shed of some sort and as an add-on, you requested a lean-to be built on one side of that shed and specified that the lean-to be 10'?

    Typically a lean-to is spec'd to the drip-line. So if you ask for a 10' lean-to you get 10' of covered area as measured from the exterior wall of the shed. But the posts for that are pretty much never going to be out at the 10' marker. Posts are set 12"-16" in from the 10' line. The support beams are mounted at the top of the posts and then your roof rafters rest on the support beams and run out past them.

    Here's a drawing of a lean to spec'd out to 15' 10".

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1AttachedTT1.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	687280
    You understand the post perfectly, and confirm my idiocy. That's a bummer, but I appreciate the info, wish they would have explained that to me.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    mjncad, Gizmo2, rtgt and 2 others like this.
    2017 3038E; RC2048, 4' Box Blade, Forks, 5' Rear Blade, 2017 Z920M

  6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  7. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    1,894
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 218 Times in 174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by userjh160 View Post
    You understand the post perfectly, and confirm my idiocy. That's a bummer, but I appreciate the info, wish they would have explained that to me.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    No idiocy on your part, a novice shouldn’t reasonably be expected to know the nuances of construction. Your professional (the builder) should have done a better job of confirming you’re INTENT before he built anything for you. You’re not only paying for his skill as a builder but for his ability to correctly interpret his clients intentions-he could have easily managed this with a couple simple questions. “What do you intend this lean to for”, or something like “would you like 10’ total or 10’ clear openings?

    Did you approve a working or approved set of drawings for this lean to that the builder provided?

    I’d address this ASAP with the builder and ask him how he is going to remedy the issue to your satisfaction without undue additional cost to you-you should expect to pay for the correct materials for your intent but not their rework or incorrect material.
    Last edited by balrog006; 05-21-2019 at 07:27 PM.
    mjncad, rtgt, OxPath and 3 others like this.
    2004-L130

    2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to balrog006 For This Useful Post:

    userjh160 (05-21-2019)

  9. Top | #5
    userjh160's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Location
    North Louisiana
    Posts
    324
    Thanks
    158
    Thanked 50 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    No idiocy on your part, a novice shouldn’t reasonably be expected to know the nuances of construction. Your professional (the builder) should have done a better job of confirming you’re INTENT before he built anything for you. You’re not only paying for his skill as a builder but for his ability to correctly interpret his clients intentions-he could have easily managed this with a couple simple questions. “What do you intend this lean to for”, or something like “would you like 10’ total or 10’ clear openings?

    Did you approve a working or approved set of drawings for this lean to that the builder provided?

    I’d address this ASAP with the builder and ask him how he is going to remedy the issue to your satisfaction without undue additional cost to you-you should expect to pay for the correct materials for your intent but not their rework or incorrect material.
    I understand that when you deal with something every day, that you can start to think it's common knowledge. I get that from the salesman's part. He didn't confirm our intent for specificity, and the drawings just show 10', cant really tell where that 10' is. I didn't even think to ask.

    I'm going to try to get in touch with them first thing in the morning. Right now the lean posts aren't tied in with the building, so hopefully its fixable for small $. Thanks for your viewpoint.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    mjncad and rtgt like this.
    2017 3038E; RC2048, 4' Box Blade, Forks, 5' Rear Blade, 2017 Z920M

  10. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:42 PM
    Location
    Berlin, MA
    Posts
    4,604
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 869 Times in 664 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by userjh160 View Post
    I'm going to try to get in touch with them first thing in the morning. Right now the lean posts aren't tied in with the building, so hopefully its fixable for small $. Thanks for your viewpoint.
    He should be able to pull the posts and reset them. He may need to do some swapping of materials for the rest of it. If he ordered 10' 2x material for rafters and such he'll need to exchange those for longer boards. When you talk to him tell him that you need 10' of clearspan in order to park your trailer under there. He can probably do that by extending you out to 12' at the drip line.
    mjncad, etcallhome, rtgt and 4 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

    userjh160 (05-21-2019)

  12. Top | #7
    userjh160's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Location
    North Louisiana
    Posts
    324
    Thanks
    158
    Thanked 50 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    He should be able to pull the posts and reset them. He may need to do some swapping of materials for the rest of it. If he ordered 10' 2x material for rafters and such he'll need to exchange those for longer boards. When you talk to him tell him that you need 10' of clearspan in order to park your trailer under there. He can probably do that by extending you out to 12' at the drip line.
    Good to know, guess the right terminology makes all the difference. Never had anything built before, so there's a lot for me to learn. Hopefully that's all I misunderstood.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    mjncad and rtgt like this.
    2017 3038E; RC2048, 4' Box Blade, Forks, 5' Rear Blade, 2017 Z920M

  13. Top | #8
    theduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Location
    NW Oregun...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Posts
    870
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 147 Times in 100 Posts
    if your gonna make them move the posts............

    Go to 12'......thank me later.
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 7 others like this.
    Dan


    JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

    47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

  14. Top | #9
    ttazzman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:28 PM
    Location
    sw mo
    Posts
    493
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 66 Times in 51 Posts
    in ordering a building ....typically all nominal measurements of a building IE a 40 x 50 x 12 ....are all measured to the outside of the structure or otherwise said to the inside of the metal skin.........then all structure size is deducted from that to get inside measurements

    if you require specific clearances inside a building it need to be specifically stated .....since it offers the builder the ability to use possibly smaller posts on closer spaces etc vs a larger footprint to achive the same results thus lower costs..


    as stated above talk to him Immediately ...work it out....even if it costs more ....the building needs to fit the purpose or its useless....
    mjncad, Gizmo2, rtgt and 1 others like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    2140
    4500
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

  15. Top | #10

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:40 PM
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,294
    Thanks
    476
    Thanked 347 Times in 278 Posts
    Like Jim and theduke said. Go 12’.
    In the construction world
    12’ cost a little more than 10’ but 12’ cost pretty much the same as 10’ plus a few inches.

    Also i agree with above where someone should have explained things better. That’s why you hire a professional contractor. They should know these things. I do finish carpentry work and I’d have to redo plenty of things if I did what the customer wanted every time.
    mjncad, rtgt and userjh160 like this.
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB


    BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isn’t paying attention*

  16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. RC construction equipment & longest HO coal train
    By mjncad in forum Toys, Clothing & Collectables
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-12-2017, 05:14 PM
  2. 110 construction backhoe
    By julesrizan in forum Wanted to Buy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-16-2016, 11:20 AM
  3. Road construction through wooded swamp?
    By Jim Timber in forum Land Ownership, Landscaping, Lawn Care & Gardening
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 06-05-2015, 08:55 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-31-2013, 08:17 PM
  5. Retaining Wall Time Lapse Construction
    By Troutsniffer in forum Non-Deere Tractors
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-05-2013, 10:05 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •