Insulating Roof Trusses
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Insulating Roof Trusses

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 09:56 PM
    Location
    West Central MN
    Posts
    48
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Insulating Roof Trusses

    You guys are slowly building my shed one day at a time, and I am very appreciative of it!! I didn't realize I would have so many questions otherwise I would have just made one big thread for the entire build.

    On to today's problem. My roof trusses are roughly this setup. The peak is about 11'-6" and the bottom chord is a 2x6.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TrussChart_rev.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	698564


    I am only insulating the garage ceiling (attic floor), and I think I need roughly 15" of blown insulation, but I still need to verify this. I plan to use the taller part of the attic for some light storage for items that are needed once every 3 years. Now my question is, how do I get 15" of insulation in here and still have a usable surface? Currently the best solution I have in mind is 2x10s perpendicular and on top of the bottom cords (similar to the below image). This just seems really excessive. Am I overlooking a simpler solution?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70eb845e0ebf595357dd5044c07b6bcb.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	698566


    Otherwise there are systems like this. They don't give much info but I think they would be much lighter than a 2x10

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91Kh24BqUHL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	336.5 KB 
ID:	698568
    Last edited by swiver; 08-05-2019 at 06:38 PM.
    2018 1025r

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:02 PM
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    7,594
    Thanks
    606
    Thanked 714 Times in 601 Posts

    Insulating Roof Trusses

    Quote Originally Posted by swiver View Post
    You guys are slowly building my shed one day at a time, and I am very appreciative of it!! I didn't realize I would have so many questions otherwise I would have just made one big thread for the entire build.

    On to today's problem. My roof trusses are roughly this setup. The peak is about 11'-6" and the bottom chord is a 2x6.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TrussChart_rev.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	698564


    I am only insulating the garage ceiling (attic floor), and I think I need roughly 15" of blown insulation, but I still need to verify this. I plan to use the taller part of the attic for some light storage for items that are needed once every 3 years. Now my question is, how do I get 15" of insulation in here and still have a usable surface? Currently the best solution I have in mind is 2x10s perpendicular and on top of the bottom cords (similar to the below image). This just seems really excessive. Am I overlooking a simpler solution?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70eb845e0ebf595357dd5044c07b6bcb.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	698566
    My attic is blown in like that, with r-30 fiberglass rolled the opposite way. I have one strip on the walkway if I want to go up there I flop it over then back when I’m done. Shelves hang from the rafters on both sides.

  4. Top | #3
    Captain Hook Kennyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    16,253
    Thanks
    4,995
    Thanked 4,033 Times in 2,513 Posts
    I have pics at home, but when I built my house, I put a false floor in the attic for storage. So basically floor joists strung between the truss verticals then decked with tongue and groove inderlayment.
    Jim Timber likes this.
    Kenny

    -John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM


    Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

    Visit our YouTube Channel

    My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    Big
    Big is offline
    Big's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:14 PM
    Location
    Greenville SC
    Posts
    1,220
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked 216 Times in 156 Posts
    I don't know 100 percent but I think I recall that if the attic is going to be floored you have to use a batt type insulation underneath, no blown insulation. I think it has to do with replacement. The batt type would be easier than blown if covered. Someone may know for sure. Just throwing that out there. Again I don't know know for sure
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

    -Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

  7. Top | #5
    Captain Hook Kennyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    16,253
    Thanks
    4,995
    Thanked 4,033 Times in 2,513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    I don't know 100 percent but I think I recall that if the attic is going to be floored you have to use a batt type insulation underneath, no blown insulation. I think it has to do with replacement. The batt type would be easier than blown if covered. Someone may know for sure. Just throwing that out there. Again I don't know know for sure
    My attic has a blown in insulation, that may be a local code thing but mine passed fine.
    Big likes this.
    Kenny

    -John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM


    Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

    Visit our YouTube Channel

    My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

  8. Top | #6
    ttazzman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Location
    sw mo
    Posts
    493
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 65 Times in 50 Posts
    remember the bottom cord of those trusses are tension members .....not load bearing members and allready have a ceiling hung on them...

    personally i would tell the truss supplier what you want to do and ask them the best places to load the truss...including the ceiling assembly....and seek their guidance as to support locations....most should be quick and forthcomming as to their recommendations
    mjncad, Kennyd, OxPath and 2 others like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    2140
    4500
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to ttazzman For This Useful Post:

    mjncad (08-06-2019)

  10. Top | #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 09:56 PM
    Location
    West Central MN
    Posts
    48
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttazzman View Post
    remember the bottom cord of those trusses are tension members .....not load bearing members and allready have a ceiling hung on them...
    I almost put something in the original post regarding this, but then I remembered how much everyone here loves discussing trusses.

    Thanks for the concern. Floor loads have been accounted for.

    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    My attic is blown in like that, with r-30 fiberglass rolled the opposite way. I have one strip on the walkway if I want to go up there I flop it over then back when I’m done. Shelves hang from the rafters on both sides.
    Interesting. It is definitely a solution that works, but I am leaning more towards a one and done approach.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    I have pics at home
    If you can find and post a pic that would be great!
    ttazzman likes this.
    2018 1025r

  11. Top | #8
    sennister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    2,092
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 224 Times in 185 Posts
    You can look in my garage build thread but they put the wood floor right on the trusses. I went with storage trusses but they will do batt insulation under it and put the drywall up afterward.

    You did say this is shed right? If so you don't have to have 15" of blown insulation. In our case we have part of the build technically living space as it is a mud/laundry room. That has to have the thick insulation so it would be tough to make it usable space unless we went with an elevated floor like what you are looking at.

    I also agree that you probably want to stick to batt insulation under the floor and not blown.

    Those trusses are the same design that I have.

    I thought I had a shot of the floor but I guess I never uploaded it. Here are some of my trusses. I have roughly a 10.5' peak from the floor. They plywood floor is 3/4" (I think) tongue and groove.





    Last edited by sennister; 08-05-2019 at 07:27 PM.
    mjncad likes this.


    JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

    JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

  12. Top | #9
    sennister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    2,092
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 224 Times in 185 Posts
    Here is a shot with the floor. It is an older shot from before they completed it. Of course it is probably sideways. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190605_184623_1565051467988.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	698570
    mjncad likes this.


    JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

    JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

  13. Top | #10
    ttazzman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Location
    sw mo
    Posts
    493
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 65 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swiver View Post
    I almost put something in the original post regarding this, but then I remembered how much everyone here loves discussing trusses.

    Thanks for the concern. Floor loads have been accounted for.



    Interesting. It is definitely a solution that works, but I am leaning more towards a one and done approach.


    If you can find and post a pic that would be great!

    love the emoji i hadnt seen that before

    what your proposing with the 2x10s is exactly what i did in mine for a center walkway ...i had 16" of insulation 2-8" batts.......i dont store anything up there but it is nice to be able to push back batts if i need to do some work IE wiring etc
    Last edited by ttazzman; 08-05-2019 at 07:46 PM.
    mjncad and Jim Timber like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    2140
    4500
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

  14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •