• 1 Post By Kbar
  • 5 Post By MJFlores

Thread: Ramp to mini barn

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-14-2019 @ 09:39 PM
    Thanks

Ramp to mini barn

Hi All, I'm in the process of building a "mini-barn" for my new 2025r. It's a 12 x 16 shed, floor is 2x6 frame PT spaced 12" on center with 3/4" PT plywood on top. Question is, any good ideas for building the ramp to drive up and into it? I plan to use PT 2x6's which I'm sure I can design to be strong enough....but I think it's gonna be slippery when wet or after snow clean up...is there anything you can think of that I can attach to the boards of the ramp to provide some traction?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:20 AM
    Thanks
    I mix a little sand into the paint to prevent slipping . . . but the surface does hold dirt.

Will 12 foot 2x6s be springy under the weight of your tractor?

I would add some support (concrete blocks etc.) in the middle of each to increase the strength.

Hope your tractor appreciates the new home you are building for it?
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

JD Tractor aka Bucky
    2018 1025r ~ New in April 2018

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Fork Lift ~
    Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~
    Thatcherator ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

Modifications Completed by Me ~ LED lights on roll bar ~ Mirrors ~ Shortened Rollbar to fit in Garage

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MJFlores View Post
    Hi All, I'm in the process of building a "mini-barn" for my new 2025r. It's a 12 x 16 shed, floor is 2x6 frame PT spaced 12" on center with 3/4" PT plywood on top. Question is, any good ideas for building the ramp to drive up and into it? I plan to use PT 2x6's which I'm sure I can design to be strong enough....but I think it's gonna be slippery when wet or after snow clean up...is there anything you can think of that I can attach to the boards of the ramp to provide some traction?
    How high will the ramp be on the shed side (slope)? I have a ramp going into my 14x32 shed that is constructed of 2x6 planks running horizontally with wedge shaped supports underneath. The rise at the open of the shed is maybe 10-inches. It's not slippery at all when wet or in the winter.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 02:47 PM
    Thanks
    So mine is a little smaller, 8x14, but I put a green treated 2x4 across the front to "block" anything from going underneath, then built a ramp with sand/gravel.
    Works well, no worries of rot or deterioration or wondering if it will hold the weight.

Don't have a pic of the ramp in place, but here is a pic pre ramp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shed 5-17.jpeg  
    mjncad, MJFlores and Kbar like this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    How high will the ramp be on the shed side (slope)? I have a ramp going into my 14x32 shed that is constructed of 2x6 planks running horizontally with wedge shaped supports underneath. The rise at the open of the shed is maybe 10-inches. It's not slippery at all when wet or in the winter.
    It'll be about a foot or a little less. I was thinking it would be slippery but I suppose I could make it long enough so it's no steep. I was searching for some sort of metal cleat that can be screwed down to the ramp surface but perhaps thats not needed?

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    It'll be about a foot or a little less. I was thinking it would be slippery but I suppose I could make it long enough so it's no steep. I was searching for some sort of metal cleat that can be screwed down to the ramp surface but perhaps thats not needed?
    I can't imagine the slope being that much. How long were you intending to make it? The ramp in front of my 14x32 shed is as wide as the garage door and sticks out about 3-4 feet deep. The incline is very slight.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:03 AM
    Thanks
    just throwing it out there, but maybe going off Cuttys design, and get some landscape blocks as a border, or a 2x12, and throw some gravel in there. No flex, no rot. I’d even go as far as those 20” flat pavers at Lowe’s for 6 bucks https://www.lowes.com/pd/Square-Gray...6-in/3031587to top it off. Keep us posted on how it goes.
    ssjfyr likes this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I can't imagine the slope being that much. How long were you intending to make it? The ramp in front of my 14x32 shed is as wide as the garage door and sticks out about 3-4 feet deep. The incline is very slight.
    Yeah, the ramp will be the width of the entire front, minus 16" on each side so roughly 10 feet wide. I figured Id make it maybe 6 feel long or so? Sort of planning on using 5 or 6 2x10s for stringers ripped at an angle to take up the slope...and then laying 2X6 across as the ramp decking. Yeah, maybe it wont be a big deal after all.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Yeah, the ramp will be the width of the entire front, minus 16" on each side so roughly 10 feet wide. I figured Id make it maybe 6 feel long or so? Sort of planning on using 5 or 6 2x10s for stringers ripped at an angle to take up the slope...and then laying 2X6 across as the ramp decking. Yeah, maybe it wont be a big deal after all.
    I don't think you have anything to worry about. I was just down working in my shed and the ramp is the width of (8) 6-inch planks. Even when wet or snowy I don't find it slippery at all. I've never measured it but the slope is very very slight.

I mean, don't get me wrong. If it is ice covered you can certainly fall down but running equipment in and out is never a problem.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    This is what I've managed to build so far. Lots of work to do still. My 12 year old boy and I. ...hanging rafters this weekend, the template set leaning against the way there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barn082819rs.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	467.1 KB 
ID:	702022
    Last edited by MJFlores; 08-28-2019 at 02:01 PM.
    mjncad, Kennyd, OxPath and 2 others like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements