Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Will firewood dry in this shed

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks

Will firewood dry in this shed

Iím looking for a shed to dry and store firewood and I same across this. The inside portion is 10x24. Putting pallets down inside, and stacking 3 rows deep, the full 24ft long, will firewood dry with only the front being exposed ? And possibly not much sun due to the overhang?Click image for larger version.†

Name:	BD76620C-D7C5-41BA-AEE6-630219896C8E.png†
Views:	34†
Size:	4.20 MB†
ID:	703684
    fdmars, BigJim55 and blue87fj60 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,456 Times in 1,581 Posts
    IMO needs a window or vent in the end and on back side. Need air to circulate ,
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Will it dry out? Sure. But it will take forever.
    You MUST have air circulation to dry out wood.
    If you look at woodsheds people have built, youll see that the sides and top are ventilated.

Now, you could use it, but youd have to figure a way to get air moving on the back side. Maybe vent panels installed all around?
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 04:50 PM
    Thanks
    As others said you need air movement to dry the wood. Moving air is far more important than sun exposure.

Large gable vents on both ends and one or two vents in the rear wall should help the wood dry out in a shed like that.
    etcallhome likes this.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the responses guys. That’s also what I was thinking, making some kind of vents to allow the air to move through the building
    etcallhome likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:28 PM
    Thanks
    Definitely will dry faster with air from bottom, top, and all sides. But that's a nice shed none the less.
    etcallhome, Jeff B and Kbar like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 07:13 PM
    Thanks
    My sister had a shed like that,, they filled it with split hardwood,, on pallets.
    the plan was to have wood for the next three years,,

By the third year, the wood was useless,, it had been consumed by termites,,
    KennyP likes this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 11:57 AM
    Thanks

It will dry

I agree with the others that wood dries faster if you have air moving but that shed's not air tight so it will dry with the shed in the current configuration. For years, I put wood in an old grain bin and it dried just fine in that.

Termites are an issue. If you can have the ground treated first and then put a layer of rock or milled asphalt down, it will help. I didn't see your location but in our area if wood is touching the ground, you will eventually get termites unless you treat. Cholorodane is off the market but it was far superior at keeping termites away, regardless of other issues it may have caused.

If you rotate your wood and don't let it stay in one spot too long, it helps with termites and other bugs. One of these days, I'd like to build a solar firewood kiln with a design to get the wood hot enough to kill most bugs but that's hard to do in our area if you are using only solar. BTW, your shed cold be easily adapted to a solar kiln if you wanted to. Most of the kilns have a similar shape with a solar collection area leading to a plenum.

Treefarmer
    etcallhome and rtgt like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Thanks
    That looks perfect for storing a tractor
    etcallhome likes this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:45 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELbowhunter View Post
    Iím looking for a shed to dry and store firewood and I same across this. The inside portion is 10x24. Putting pallets down inside, and stacking 3 rows deep, the full 24ft long, will firewood dry with only the front being exposed ? And possibly not much sun due to the overhang?Click image for larger version.†

Name:	BD76620C-D7C5-41BA-AEE6-630219896C8E.png†
Views:	34†
Size:	4.20 MB†
ID:	703684
    Click image for larger version.†

Name:	010.JPG†
Views:	12†
Size:	159.2 KB†
ID:	703950
    I just posted this to the fire wood thread. I'm using a similar type of building but without a front or back and the wood dries real well! But, you'll do yourself a favor by stacking the rows front to back and not side to side so the air / wind can get at it. I use some large tarps the span the front and back during the winter so the snow doesn't blow in and cover everything inside - including my tractor
    etcallhome and Jeff B like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast