Like Tree277Likes

Thread: Loafing shed time

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts

Loafing shed time

Well, the time has come for my horses to get a loafing shed. After looking at all the various options, I decided to just build it myself. I ordered the materials kit from Sutherland's yesterday. For those of you who don't have a Sutherland's store around, boy are you missing out. It's like a Home Depot and Tractor Supply all rolled into one store, but with a whole lot more hunting stuff. They don't sell guns, but had everything else related to hunting, including gun safes and a massive ammo counter.

They sell material kits for everything from a little garden shed up to massive pole barns. The 13x36 loafing shed kit is a standard item, but they reworked it and got it down to 24'. The gentleman warned me that the blueprints would be a little off, because they were for a 36' version and I would have to modify the pole spacing. No big deal though.

The kit was ordered yesterday, and they said all we were waiting on would be the metal which is due in early next week. Since my tractor, trailer, and practically all my other equipment is over 1,000 miles away still I plan on having them deliver it, hopefully late next week or next weekend. In the mean time I'm working through the prints to figure out the pole spacing, then I get to go lay it all out with string and start digging post holes. Did I mention the tractor is 1,000 miles away? 4' deep holes, 12" in diameter. I'm glad it's been raining here for the last week or so, at least the ground isn't as rock hard as usual this time of year.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,734 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Loafing Shed. Don't forget the pics, during & after.
    Do they make Slacking Sheds. If so, I know of one guy who may want one.

Just saying.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"? - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:13 PM
    Thanks
    Reminds me of when I built my pole barn some 25 years ago. I wanted a 24' x 36' and found a store with a kit for that size but I didn't like the metal they used so looked elsewhere. Found one I liked but the closest size they had was 24' x 39'. But due to where I wanted to put it I just couldn't fit in the 39' length. Also of course it cost more.

So I talked to the guy about it and he said he would work it out so that his price would be the same per square foot as the other, so I could buy his kit and cut it down to the size I wanted and then bring back the material I didn't use for a refund, and would come out with the same price as the other building.

Sounded good so that's what I did, only thing was the kit came with 14' lumber for 13' stalls, I had to cut the lumber down for my 12' stalls, so I wound up with no lumber that could be returned.

So it cost me more than the first kit but it was better material so I can't complain, it has been a good one, still have it.
    etcallhome, 56FordGuy and BigJim55 like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    We always called them run in sheds, loafing shed is sort of a new term for me as well. Guess I could call it the Gizmo shed. The last one I built didn't come in kit form, I just drew up a material list and bought it. The "kit" is the exact same price as just buying the materials in non kit form, and it comes with drawings. Saves me a little work doing that stuff, and it's all designed for this area and the wind/ snow loads.

Right now the only pictures could be "before" photos, but as it takes shape I'll try and snap a few. I'm hoping to have the material sometime close to the 21st, so we have some time left to go.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:13 PM
    Thanks
    Mine was called a pole barn at the time by the seller, some people called them loafing sheds. It was open on one side. I wasn't using it for livestock but for equipment storage, the first time it came a big rainstorm it blew water in all the way across it and everything inside got soaked. So I wound up building doors for it making it totally enclosed.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

8. Top | #6
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    I think of a loafing shed as smaller than a pole barn.

Welcome to being farther west, 56Ford!! I think you will find a lot of differences in terminology, as you go along. Do they have stock tanks in WY, or just ponds?
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    I think of a loafing shed as smaller than a pole barn.

Welcome to being farther west, 56Ford!! I think you will find a lot of differences in terminology, as you go along. Do they have stock tanks in WY, or just ponds?
    Lots of things are different here. Haven't asked about tanks and ponds, but tire tanks are popular. Since coal mining is such a huge industry here, there are a few places that buy the worn out mining tires (about 8' tall and 3' wide). They cut one sidewall off, then sell them as water tanks. They sell the cut off sidewalls as fence material. Dig a trench, set the sidewalls in it and overlap them, and it actually works pretty well for corrals. The other half that is used as a tank is laid down flat, then a layer of concrete put in the bottom. Pretty popular out here for livestock.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437614818.118140.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	403.8 KB 
ID:	49015

-Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:54 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437614818.118140.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	403.8 KB 
ID:	49015

I was looking for the dirt mounds from digging the post holes, but I couldn't see any. at least the horses has a shelter-huh! big jim

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:21 PM
    Thanks
    Are you just going to hobble them and let them free range
    56FordGuy, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast