Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Here we go again 60x40

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 01:36 PM
    Thanks

Here we go again 60x40

Ok, so I am in the planning stage of doing a building. Do I build a stick garage ( 2x6's )or pole barn? It's going to be 60x40. 1/4 of the space is for the tractor and the rest is for my shop and 57 chevy. Let's here the pro and cons

Mike
    2014 JD 2032R
    R4's / R3'S
    H130 fel w/bolt-on hooks / 53" Tooth bar / Deluxe hood guard
    62" MMM
    Frontier RC2048
    54" Quickhitch front blade
    iMatch Quickhitch
    Ballast box
    42" Artillian forks
    Landpride 5' BB

655 tiller

GT235

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Thanks
    Scrap steel is at some type of incredible low,,,, maybe you need to incorporate some steel in it??

I found a tractor trailer load of I beams, and wide flange beams when I built my 57x45

There is not a nail in the building, there are some nails in a hardwood floor in one elevated area,,,

The ENTIRE frame was welded together,,, then sided,,, each vertical beam sets on a 3x3x3 cube of concrete,,,,

the door is eleven feet high, by 18 feet wide,,,

My daughter demanded that she get an indoor basketball court,,,

I think I remember that there is about 100 pounds of welding rods in the building,,,
    mjncad, Gizmo2, arlen and 3 others like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:00 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmw0323 View Post
    Ok, so I am in the planning stage of doing a building. Do I build a stick garage ( 2x6's )or pole barn? It's going to be 60x40. 1/4 of the space is for the tractor and the rest is for my shop and 57 chevy. Let's here the pro and cons

I'm a big fan of pole buildings. They go up quick, the site doesn't have to be perfect, and the floor doesn't have to go in right away....or ever.
    Gizmo2, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    I'm a big fan of pole buildings. They go up quick, the site doesn't have to be perfect, and the floor doesn't have to go in right away....or ever.
    I had my floor poured last,,, that was great, as it gave me extra time to plan all the piping I buried for electrical, plumbing, etc,,,
    Gizmo2 and Levi like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Thanks
    I like all that 'red iron.'

I have no experience with pole barns; but I just don't care for the wood in the ground bit, even if its treated. I do know there are concrete posts that can be bought, and the wood posts attach to them above grade where they can't rot. I don't recall what they are called.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post

I have no experience with pole barns; but I just don't care for the wood in the ground bit, even if its treated. I do know there are concrete posts that can be bought, and the wood posts attach to them above grade where they can't rot. I don't recall what they are called.
    How about this??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00G0G_3KVgRdu3WfE_600x450.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	49219

https://roanoke.craigslist.org/grq/5091129549.html
    Levi likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:17 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,951 Times in 2,913 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post

https://permacolumn.com/

Cause I like' em
    http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...-building.html
    Levi and flyweight like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    Big Fan number 2 of pole buildings. You just can not be any more cost effective per square foot.
    Levi likes this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    Similar; but Gizmo nailed it in the post after yours with the Permacolumn.
    Levi likes this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    01-16-2017 @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks
    I priced pole barns 20 years ago when I built my shop. I got 3-4 quotes, all within $400-$500 of each other for a 24x36 building. Then I had a local garage builder quote the same sized building. I got 2x4 studs every 16 inches to insulate and panel between and on top of, roof trusses every 24 inches to insulate and drywall on, five inch deep concrete floor, everything new and clean, all I had to do was start moving in and build work benches, wire, and finish out the inside.

The cement contractor showed up within two weeks as promised, formed the floor and footings/walls, poured the slab the next day. Two weeks later my pre-built garage showed up on a 24 foot straight truck and about five minutes later the erection crew showed up in a regular cab pickup. I had elec. Power, 120V15A run to the site for their tools & compressor. The three brothers were out of the truck and working within a minute or two of pulling in my driveway. The truck driver said these guys had built THOUSANDS of garages. They unloaded walls off the truck and set them on the concrete walls, they squared the building and they had all the trusses up and nailed down and were passing up sheets of sheeting all within the first HOUR! None of the three brothers had yet said a word to each other. The oldest brother had said Hi to me and confirmed I had adequate power to the cord, and he said a couple words to the truck driver. The truck was empty and gone in 1-1/2 hours, I went to work after about two hours and my shop was all sided except the peaks, sheeted, papered, and about 1/4 shingled on one side, windows & walk-in door installed, and the roll-up door about 1/3 installed. For some reason they were short a couple bundles of shingles otherwise I suspect they left my place around 1-2 PM. The next day when I got home the shop was complete!

The garage was just a few hundred Dollars more than the pole barns but for my end use was a tremendously better value. It turned out really nice, my shop even prompted my frugal Dad to find a garage builder down home to build him a 24x24 garage to consolidate his 3-4 shops into. He for absolutely sure would have built a pole barn if it was cheaper!

All depends on what you want to do with your building. I had to have a concrete floor, easy to insulate walls & ceiling, and I wanted it all ASAP. Took me almost 2 years to wire it and get money saved to have electrician connect it to power, then insulate and finish out interior took another 2-3 years. My only complaint is I wish it was bigger, like at least 50% bigger, maybe twice the size!
    mjncad, Gizmo2, Bubber and 3 others like this.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to POWERSTROKE For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (07-27-2015)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast