Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree302Likes

Thread: My Build Thread - 40' x 70' Pole Barn

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-24-2019 @ 03:40 PM
    Thanks

My Build Thread - 40' x 70' Pole Barn

So, I will warn you all right away, this won't be a fast moving thread. I always enjoy seeing others build threads though, so I thought I would share mine with everyone as well.

I am building a pole barn myself on nights and weekends (with help from my dad, father-in-law, brother-in-law, friends, and a guy I hired that we used to work with that builds pole barns for a living). We are also having a house built starting very soon and will be putting some work in on that as well so that will distract us from the pole barn at times (I will probably include a few pictures of the house too when the time comes).

A little back story: We bought the land last summer/fall, and over the winter made plans to build a house and pole barn on the property. We are on a sandy hill and can see for about a mile in almost any direction and just felt it was the best land we had seen in the 4+ years of looking. The land was a corn field last year, so we are truly working with a blank slate. Around here you can't build a pole barn without at least a house permit filed as well, so with delays from the bank, etc. we were finally able to get started recently on the pole barn as the house will be started in the coming weeks.

The pole barn will be 40' x 70' with sidewalls approximately 15.5' tall. The size was limited by the township but should be big enough for what I have planned. I will probably only be able to fill about 2/3 of it myself right away, but I already have others wanting to store stuff in it, funny how that works. We will be putting in two larger overhead doors at 16' wide and 14' tall (clearance enough for the 2 fifth wheel campers that will be kept in there) and a smaller overhead door at 10' wide and 8' tall. The smaller door will be for a separated bay that will store my future JD 1025R in the summer and my Camaro in the winter, I am also thinking of lining it so that I can use it as an indoor wash bay for everything. Behind that bay I will have a workshop area, and above both of those will be a storage loft. We are using cathedral trusses in that area to provide additional headroom for the loft.

The land is a "flag lot" and there is a natural spring spot near where the land opens up where the old owners buried a pond years ago. This spot was still low and a little mushy this spring, so our first step was to cut a ditch along the future driveway for draining surface water and to dry up that spot. It worked like a charm and the driveway should be good to go when we get to that point later this year. We also found all of the survey markers from last year and put in 6x6 posts to clearly mark the property lines.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	upload 1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	910.5 KB 
ID:	49484

We found out the week before we planned on starting on the pole barn that we had to have some serious footings under the poles . We had planned on the pre-formed footers that you can buy that are 16" in diameter and 4" thick. What we actually needed was 28"-32" diameter footings that were a minimum of 8" thick. So we rented a 30" post hole digger attachment for my dad's bobcat (that he purchased to help us out and play in the dirt on our land). All of the footings ended up closer to 10-12" thick with the larger diameter footings on the sides of the overhead doors being over a foot thick. We had a local cement company deliver us 5 yards of cement for all of the holes. Unfortunately, everything happened so quickly that day that I didn't get action shots, only pictures of the aftermath. In the end it was okay because the rental of the larger post hole digger was actually cheaper from a different rental place and the cement was only a couple hundred dollars more than the post footers were. Plus, this building should never, ever go anywhere with footings like that!

Name:	upload 2.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1,010.8 KB 
ID:	49485Click image for larger version. 

Name:	upload 3.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	49486

On that day, we also got our temp electrical service installed so we don't have to work with generators. Our builder loves us for this too so that he doesn’t need generators either when he starts the house.

Name:	upload 4.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	687.0 KB 
ID:	49487

A few days later, we spent a Saturday setting all of the poles except 1 that was left out for the skytrack to enter the building when setting trusses.

Name:	upload 5.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	874.7 KB 
ID:	49488Click image for larger version. 

Name:	upload 6.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	872.2 KB 
ID:	49489

The following Saturday, we installed all of the headers, and many of the purlins around the outside of the barn that the steel will be fastened too.

Name:	upload 7.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	416.6 KB 
ID:	49490

During the following week, my dad and I put up some more purlins and prepared for that Saturday when we installed the trusses!

Name:	upload 8.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	834.6 KB 
ID:	49491Click image for larger version. 

Name:	upload 9.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	831.8 KB 
ID:	49492

That was this past Saturday so that is where we are at right now. We have some more bracing to do in the trusses still, but there is enough in there for now to keep it stable in wind and storms if we can’t get back to it soon.

Like I said, this is going to be a somewhat slow moving project compared to others since we are doing it ourselves on nights and weekends when available around doing work for the house we are building as well as getting our current house ready to sell soon.

Thanks for looking and let me know if you have any questions or comments, I would love to hear them!

Nick
    Last edited by NickRo; 07-29-2015 at 09:59 AM.
    RandyM, Gizmo2, 56FordGuy and 11 others like this.
    1025R (block/coolant heater, power beyond, iMatch, Ballast Box), H120 Loader (53" bucket), 54" Front Snow Blower, 60" Autoconnect MMM (with mulch kit), 4' tiller, forks, homemade driveway grader

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NickRo For This Useful Post:

RandyM (07-29-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks
    Reserved for future updates/pictures.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1025R (block/coolant heater, power beyond, iMatch, Ballast Box), H120 Loader (53" bucket), 54" Front Snow Blower, 60" Autoconnect MMM (with mulch kit), 4' tiller, forks, homemade driveway grader

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickRo View Post
    Reserved for future updates/pictures.
    Reserving posts for future updates doesn't work on GTT. There is a 12 hour time limit to edit your post after it's created.

Updates will need to be new replies to the thread, which will also move the thread back to the top of the listing.
    Gizmo2 and BigJim55 like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    Reserving posts for future updates doesn't work on GTT. There is a 12 hour time limit to edit your post after it's created.

Updates will need to be new replies to the thread, which will also move the thread back to the top of the listing.
    Sorry I missed that. I've seen it done that way on other sites so I just went with it. My apologies!
    BigJim55 likes this.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,032 Times in 2,512 Posts
    Looks great so far Nick
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. Top | #6
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,950 Times in 2,913 Posts
    I agree with Kennyd, so far so good.
    Thanks for the post.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 06:50 PM
    Thanks
    I didn't realize Michigan had much of any "open land" like that.
    Just kinda' figured folks on top of each other separated by lakes and ponds.
    Way too cold for my bones up there.
    BigJim55 and Marlin like this.
    The I.R.S. must love poor folks, they create more and more every day.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berger View Post
    I didn't realize Michigan had much of any "open land" like that.
    Just kinda' figured folks on top of each other separated by lakes and ponds.
    Way too cold for my bones up there.
    Michigan has a lot of agriculture, and with land values going up around here recently, farmers are starting to split up their fields and sell them off. Lots of forest in many parts of the state too, but you are right, a lot of lakes as well. Right now we are in a subdivision and can't wait to get out of here, we have 3.7 acres on this property.

And yeah, it can get very cold, but I can work up a sweat in no time in the dead of winter so I don't normally mind it too much. We have been in the 90's the last few days here too, so we actually end up getting four quite distinct (sometimes extreme) seasons! Family is too important to us though to move away from here though.
    BigJim55, Marlin and Bill Berger like this.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 09:42 AM
    Thanks
    That's going to be one nice building for sure!
    Workin hard at loafing!
    2012 1026R c/w H120 FEL, 42" Frontier Forks, 6T49 CL Tooth Bar, CL7 Weight Bracket

RC2048 48" Rough Cut Mower, Buhler Y550R 60" Finishing Mower, 60" Frontier RB2060L Back Blade, JD Ballast Box
    Femco Hitch Adapter 2" Receiver, 60" Farm King 3PH Snow Blower, I Match, BB2048L Frontier Box Blade

6' Kodiak Landscape Rake, Braber Equipment PHD c/w 9" & 12" X 48" Augers, HLA 1000 60" Snow Blade

1980 317 L&G Tractor c/w 48" Mower and 48" Snow Blower

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Looks great so far Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    I agree with Kennyd, so far so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carvel Loafer View Post
    That's going to be one nice building for sure!
    Thanks for the compliments!

So, we did make a little progress this past weekend, but then I went on a trip for a couple days so this update is a little late.

We got a few more boards up for hanging the steel later and the overhang on the one end that we didn't get to the previous week.

Name:	upload 1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	924.8 KB 
ID:	49898

The main work we did was brush hogging the whole property and digging on the house site. With the construction loan getting close we decided to get a head start on the excavating of the house site. We peeled off the top soil down to the sandy sub soil and leveled it out a little bit.

Name:	upload 2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	850.5 KB 
ID:	49899

Then on Monday we finally got word from the bank that the construction loan is done and we will be closing next week, so now that means we can start making actual plans for the house. We will be meeting with the excavator this weekend to see what else we can do to save us a little money before he comes in. Probably not going to be much progress on the pole barn this week, but maybe a few boards again. Next weekend when the friend that I hired that builds pole barns for a living is back from vacation, we will make some more significant progress on the pole barn. We are planning roof sheeting, framing the header for the smaller overhead door, and probably starting the roofing.

Edit: With the bank situated now, that also means that they are done messing with my finances and I can start looking to acquire the JD 1025R that I've been dreaming/drooling about for the last year or so!!
    Last edited by NickRo; 08-06-2015 at 08:38 AM.
    Gizmo2 and Bill Berger like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast