Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Need opinion on floor

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks

Need opinion on floor

I will be building a 24' x 42' tractor storage barn & repair building over the winter. The concrete floor pour is a major expense since not only do I have the cost of concrete @around $105 per cu. yard, but I also have the labor for pouring & finishing. So I was thinking that maybe instead of concrete I could use 2"x6" sleepers & cover over with 3/4 pressure treated plywood tongue & groove also if I can find it.

But then when I think about bringing in a tractor with wet or muddy tires, etc. the barn floor would always be a mess & hard to keep clean. What I'm trying to do is reduce my flooring costs overall, but nothing seems to be as good as old fashion concrete with a clear sealer topcoat. Anyone have any suggestions or actual experience with alternate flooring materials. And here in the south, I'm not worried about ground heaving or freezing. More concerned with wood eating insects, high humidity & the occasional black snakes that love to nest between floor joists & have a talent for burrowing under grade boards, etc. Thanks
    Last edited by Maddog; 08-01-2015 at 01:19 PM. Reason: spelling error

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts
    For an equipment building, I would avoid wood. I just don't like it. Moisture is an issue, maintenance is an issue, and it flexes. I can't stand a wood floor in a working building.

Could you do a compacted gravel floor for now, and have the concrete poured over it later? Or just leave the floor bare dirt and do gravel and concrete later on. Compacted gravel would be better than dirt, but if it's mostly for storage it wouldn't matter too much.
    Gizmo2, Maddog, Levi and 2 others like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Thanks
    For just tractor and implement storage a dirt floor is not bad. I have a pole barn with dirt floor that I use for this. When you bring in a tractor with tiller or box blade or anything else that's been used in the dirt, some is going to remain on it and fall off later in your building.

With the dirt floor, unless it's really a lot, often you won't even notice.

For a shop for working in, I prefer concrete.

Just my $.025 (adjusted for inflation)
    etcallhome, Maddog, rtgt and 4 others like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    My barn has a wood plank floor which I've had for 20+ years now. The main section is for parking our 2 vehicles plus the tractor in the winter. The shop is seperate in the rear. I'm just used to it I guess.

Things that I would like to do but can't - wash vehicles/equipment and also have never learned to weld as I can't be welding on a 100 year old dried out wood floor.

Dirt - i would avoid that myself. Not only moisture constantly coming out of the ground but I also work on vehicles and equipment where I have to lay on the floor.

Gravel - first thing comes to mind is not having the ability to roll stuff around like tool boxes, dollies/carts that hold some implements like my Heavy Hitch.

Maybe leave as dirt or gravel then plan to pour concrete in a year or two? Possibly cover the floor with horse mats in the meantime?
    Maddog, 5304, flyweight and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    01-16-2017 @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks
    On a 24x42 building I'd concrete the whole floor ASAP. If you have to reduce building costs only concrete what you can afford and plan on pouring the rest ASAP. Dirt, wood, gravel, grass were ALL things I was happy to be away from when working on equipment inside my first concrete floor shop.
    mjncad, Maddog, Levi and 2 others like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,458 Times in 1,583 Posts
    Agree with Powerstroke, concrete as much as possible especially where you plan on working on your eqpt. Then do the rest as you can afford or have the need.
    Maddog, Levi, flyweight and 1 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Thanks
    Concrete.

Do it now as it will be a PITA to do it later when the building is filled with stuff.
    Gizmo2, Maddog, Levi and 2 others like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

10. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:50 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,951 Times in 2,913 Posts
    If you don't do the concrete now, will it ever get done? Yeah it's costly but so is a building.
    Additional reading...
    http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...tml#post227527
    mjncad, Maddog and Levi like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,064 Posts
    Because I have a barn with a dirt floor, if I ever build another shed or replace the barn I would pour the concrete floor first and then build as I could afford it. Been told I do some things backwards. But that's how important a concrete floor is to me. I hate a dirt floor. Dust gets everywhere and on everything. Kids love playing in it though.
    mjncad, Maddog and coaltrain like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Thanks
    For whatever reason, the first time the floor gets wet,,(AND, it WILL get wet,, ),, you will be thankful it is concrete,,,

mjncad, etcallhome, Maddog and 3 others like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast