Has anyone used a fabric-over-metal "building"?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Has anyone used a fabric-over-metal "building"?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-01-2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Thanks

Has anyone used a fabric-over-metal "building"?

I ran out of time and out of money to build a proper implement shed this year. However, I still have to find someplace to stick the FEL and the box blade where I can get at them for snow removal this winter. To get through the winter, today I was looking at building a really cheap and dirty stick-framed shed with no floor and just sitting on blocks at the corners. Even if I just make it barely big enough to get the FEL into, itís still going to cost me as much as some of the kit options at Menards. The things that specifically caught my eye are their ShelterLogic Shed-in-a-Box fabric-over-metal kits. They have a 10x10 thatís waaaaaay cheaper than what Iíd spend on materials to do something half assed from scratch.

The location Iím thinking of putting this in is sheltered from the wind, probably never sees direct sun (not entirely sure, if it does, itís for no more than an hour a day) but will have trees dropping debris on it constantly. I really just want to to last over the winter so I donít have to dig the loader arms out of a snowbank when I need them but itíd be awesome if itíd last two winters just in case I donít manage to get a proper implement shed build next year either.

Has anyone used this brand or something like this brand to hold implements for a while?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Thanks
    My buddy Paul Short in Newfoundland has a couple of Shelter Logic sheds. Check out his channel to find videos on them.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfL...DGI6ocVUaN8r7Q
    Levi likes this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 11:14 AM
    Thanks
    Hey Willaty - not sure where you are in Ohio. I'm in S/W Ohio, a bit south of Dayton. I've had one of those Menard's tent buildings up for 2 or 3 years now. It still looks about as good as the day I put it up. It's held up well and has served it's purpose. I do have it in an area that's fairly protected from strong winds - it's behind another stick-built shed and in some trees/honeysuckle. It does get exposed to the weather, but I've got it staked down pretty well. For $300 or so that I paid for it, it's worked well.

If you're in an area where you get a lot of lake effect snow, it may or may not hold up to the snow load. I don't think that I've ever cleared the snow off building, but it might not be a bad idea if we got a really heavy snowfall.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Thanks
    I had one at my previous place to use as a shed since I had no garage. It worked well for a couple of years but then a tree branch fell on it in a storm and tore a whole through the fabric. That is, IMO, the weak spot with them. They hold up well but once you get a tear, they are done. Even a small storm will take a small tear and rip the thing to shreds in a hurry. If you can keep it out from the danger of something like that happening you can get 5+ years out of them.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    01-02-2019 @ 08:22 AM
    Thanks
    i bought a shade tech 11 canopy from home depot for $75.00 8 x 8. Then bought a 10 x 20 heavy duty brown tarp and put that over the flimsy fabric. I have a 2014 1025r with factory installed backhoe and I back it under neath it covers it up very nice. So for less than $100.00 have cover for winter. It is in sheltered area with not much wind. We also dont get to much snow south of knoxville. Been up for about 8 months with no problems.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:32 AM
    Thanks
    I have the Menard's 10x20 Autoshelter R T Brand. It has been up for a year. I would recommend these when necessary.
    Having said that, the wind seems to put lots of strain on it, even with door closed.

I have bent one of the frame pieces with the loader, and recently, I backed into it while mowing, poking a hole in the fabric with the 3 pt lift arm.

I paid only $150 for this thing on sale last October.

You can see several shots of it in my YouTube videos.
    Http://www.youtube.com/c/timmarks416

One other unforeseen negative is that it has less effective space than a 'real' building as you cannot lean things against the walls, corners, etc.

Overall, it has been a success. It only needs to survive a couple of more weeks until my new shed construction starts.

Just don't expect this to be a permanent solution!
    Levi likes this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 09:42 AM
    Thanks
    I had a Costco tent type for years in the spot where I am currently adding on to my shop. For the money you can't beat them but in time the fabric does break down any you end up putting a new tarp over it every year or two. This poor one of mine had tarps over tarps until I finally got rid of it, but it certainly earned its keep for general storage.

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	Tractor 2012-09-30 (4) (Custom).jpg†
Views:	47†
Size:	214.7 KB†
ID:	64322
    etcallhome and Levi like this.
    Workin hard at loafing!
    2012 1026R c/w H120 FEL, 42" Frontier Forks, 6T49 CL Tooth Bar, CL7 Weight Bracket

RC2048 48" Rough Cut Mower, Buhler Y550R 60" Finishing Mower, 60" Frontier RB2060L Back Blade, JD Ballast Box
    Femco Hitch Adapter 2" Receiver, 60" Farm King 3PH Snow Blower, I Match, BB2048L Frontier Box Blade

6' Kodiak Landscape Rake, Braber Equipment PHD c/w 9" & 12" X 48" Augers, HLA 1000 60" Snow Blade

1980 317 L&G Tractor c/w 48" Mower and 48" Snow Blower

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 AM
    Thanks
    I see them on a much larger scale around here on big commercial farms and at county and state maintinance yards, they have to be pretty stout to be showing up in places like those.

I also caught a part of one of those Alaska survival shows where the lady that operates the airfield north of the Arctic Cricle has one for some storage, she was using a bobcat to dig it out of 6-8' of snow-it seemed pretty tough.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 09:42 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    I see them on a much larger scale around here on big commercial farms and at county and state maintinance yards, they have to be pretty stout to be showing up in places like those.

I also caught a part of one of those Alaska survival shows where the lady that operates the airfield north of the Arctic Cricle has one for some storage, she was using a bobcat to dig it out of 6-8' of snow-it seemed pretty tough.
    When you get into the commercial grade fabric shelters you are looking something like Sprung Structures. Fabric Building, Fabric Structures - Sprung Structures IMO these are the top of the line in fabric shelters. I overlooked them for a shelter years ago only because of the cost. I found a local competitor that wasn't as robust as Sprung but served the purpose for many years as an aircraft parts storage shelter at an acceptable price.
    Workin hard at loafing!
    2012 1026R c/w H120 FEL, 42" Frontier Forks, 6T49 CL Tooth Bar, CL7 Weight Bracket

RC2048 48" Rough Cut Mower, Buhler Y550R 60" Finishing Mower, 60" Frontier RB2060L Back Blade, JD Ballast Box
    Femco Hitch Adapter 2" Receiver, 60" Farm King 3PH Snow Blower, I Match, BB2048L Frontier Box Blade

6' Kodiak Landscape Rake, Braber Equipment PHD c/w 9" & 12" X 48" Augers, HLA 1000 60" Snow Blade

1980 317 L&G Tractor c/w 48" Mower and 48" Snow Blower

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    01-04-2016 @ 02:20 PM
    Thanks
    Going along with what carvel is saying WeatherPort makes fantastic fabric shelters. I've had one up for about 5 years and it looks good as new and it handles snow load very well in Colorado. They are a local company for me and I knew that going in so they better withstand bad weather.

Also, any update on what you bought and how it's been lasting?
    mjncad likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast