• 2 Post By Zebrafive
  • 2 Post By Zebrafive

Thread: Nifty switches

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Thanks

Nifty switches

I bought a couple of "nifty" switches on ebay. Red translucent toggles. Tiny neon light inside that lights when "ON"
    This year I finally installed lights in my pole barn at the farm (only gone without lights for 20 years). So I went the whole nine yards and installed some outside lights too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pilotswitch 001.JPG   pilotswitch 002.JPG   pilotswitch 003.JPG  
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:44 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,254 Times in 2,561 Posts
    You can find those same switches that light up when they're off as well. That's handy when you're in a dark room looking for the light switch. I've even seen a version of them that stay lit up on or off.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, Dingeryote and 2 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 05:55 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    You can find those same switches that light up when they're off as well. That's handy when you're in a dark room looking for the light switch. I've even seen them stay lit up on or off.
    That was my thought!!

Even better would be LED that are red when off,,,, green when on,,,,
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 1 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    You can find those same switches that light up when they're off as well. That's handy when you're in a dark room looking for the light switch. I've even seen a version of them that stay lit up on or off.
    I put one of the lit when off type right by the walk door for the lights in that section to make it easy to see when first unlocking the barn. For the outside lights I wanted only lit when the lights are ON so I know they are ON and can make sure they are OFF when I leave. Other wise I might not notice if someone else turns them ON (think small children) during daytime if missed, there are times I do not go to farm for several days at a time.
    etcallhome and Gizmo2 like this.
    J

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    That was my thought!!

Even better would be LED that are red when off,,,, green when on,,,,
    I would want green when OFF and red when ON to warn me they are ON. The ones I bought are "old school" with neon pilot lights, not LEDS
    mjncad and PaDave like this.
    J

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 02:01 AM
    Thanks
    I installed several of these on my "hidden" lights as well. Nice on closet, hallway, pantry, parts room, leantoo, outside light switches (yep-have all of those with each one seemingly left on at least once in the last year and the outside lights are the halogen high wattage lights with several on each switch). You can wire it so the light is on all the time or you wire it so it is on only with the light on (you rotate the power leads to the other screw). It only will work if you have a common wire in the box. Since I do have two switches with only a two wire as a traveler wire it doesn't work on two of them. I can pull a romex cable down one but not the other. Without a common it doesn't do good.

My question is how do you do this with a 3 way or 4 way switch? Parents would REALLY light to do this on their garage.
    "Travis" on WFM
    First year 332 with H3 added X 2, JD 3 pt, JD factory delux seat with flip pan. 430 rear diff. 430 fender deck(have two that are mirror copies of themselves). 420, two more 332's.
    Attachments:JD 44 loader, JD 50 inch mowing deck, JD 48 replacement mowing deck JD 47 two stage snow blower, JD Hyd 42 Tiller, Gannon Earthcavator 42 inch 3 point mount, Cozy cab, JD 20 plow, Brinly 12 inch plow.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coalminer16 View Post
    I installed several of these on my "hidden" lights as well. Nice on closet, hallway, pantry, parts room, leantoo, outside light switches (yep-have all of those with each one seemingly left on at least once in the last year and the outside lights are the halogen high wattage lights with several on each switch). You can wire it so the light is on all the time or you wire it so it is on only with the light on (you rotate the power leads to the other screw). It only will work if you have a common wire in the box. Since I do have two switches with only a two wire as a traveler wire it doesn't work on two of them. I can pull a romex cable down one but not the other. Without a common it doesn't do good.

My question is how do you do this with a 3 way or 4 way switch? Parents would REALLY light to do this on their garage.
    There are 3 way switches with pilot lights, I am not aware of 4 way with pilot lights. You need BOTH the white neutral and "load" wire. One 3 way switch will have the "load" wire at the switch, it will just need a neutral.
    J

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:02 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,972 Times in 2,480 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    There are 3 way switches with pilot lights,

Yes, I have one in my pole barn for the rear lights.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,416 Times in 1,550 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coalminer16 View Post

Why not a 3 way motion switch for your parents . SIL had these in one of the houses ,for the kids never turning the lights off. If I remember correctly light came on with movement in the room or push the tab on switch and light would stay on.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements