New Shop Build - Any Coulda/Woulda/Shoulda Advice?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New Shop Build - Any Coulda/Woulda/Shoulda Advice?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-31-2011 @ 02:39 PM
    Thanks

New Shop Build - Any Coulda/Woulda/Shoulda Advice?

The pad (gravel base) for my 30x44 shop is done. Plan all along was to let it weather and let mother nature tamp it down.... So Now the task of actual design of the shop starts...Its my hope (sometimes it feels like its a Dream ) to get the slab poured next spring and then start building after that.
    Pics attached of what i'm shootin for.

Anybody have any input on anything they would have done differently or would have liked to do? I've already modified my plans once...I orignally had planned on 30x40, but after seeing it staked out it seems too small so I bumped it up to 30x44 (my floorplan sketch is an old one, but the same idea will apply to the new length)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 30x40x9.jpg   shop-floorplan.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts
    Great idea. My pole building is 50' x 104' with 12' side walls. The shop area is 40' x 50', it contains a drain for washing, a lift area, and office and bath room. The office is 12' x 12' and the bathroom is 6' x 12' and contains the pressure tank, hot water heater, and a shower. I realize this maybe more than you are shooting for but all things for you to consider. Lift height is a big one. Also, consider about expansion, I know this is going to seem like a big space but it fills up fast over time. Particularly when you start adding cabinets and benches. One thing I did was put all the plumbing and wiring exterior to the walls (its a shop) makes for easier changes. This has saved me on several occasions. My heat is forced air with air conditioning. Many opt to put the heat in the floor but for me the forced air works great. I can turn it down when I am not there and recovery is very quick. The furnaces are in the air, the shop one is on top of the office (11'6" ceiling height). And the other (storage area) is hanging from the rafters on 3/4" threaded rod. This saves on floor space. There is one thing that I can guarantee and that is your needs will change over time. The best you can do is take your best shot at and go from there. Hope this helps.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    05-26-2019 @ 05:02 PM
    Thanks
    I have a post in projects over on TBN. It's long and has lots of pictures, so it would be a lot of work to re-post here, sorry. If you read it you might get some ideas.

Coulda/shoulda/woulda hasn't happened yet, so I'm happy with what I did. I'll be finishing the landscaping around it this fall, by next summer that should all be looking purty. There is nothing I did that I would not do again. One theme that runs through my project is that it was a garage, not a shop. I'd love a shop, but that's another expensive hobby and time sink. Kinda like buying tractors, hardest part is figuring out what you want to do, easiest part is knowing the color of the tractor you're going to get .

Pete
    '09 JD4520 Cab (60HP), '97 KubotaB21 TLB (21HP), 400cx loader, MX6 rotary mower, SB1106 6' Sickle Bar, BB3272 6' box blade, GradeMaster 7' Landplane, Frontier AF11E Front Blade, 4' Pallet Forks, 6' landscape rake, ballast box, Woods GTC 40" tiller, PHD 9" auger, 4' x 8' chain harrow, '16 X755 (23HP Diesel) w/front PTO, 60" deck, 72" front blade, '90 JD318 (18HP gas) with 48" MM mower, 54" front blade, 47" snowblower.
    Volunteer Firefighter.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
    .....and a shower. I realize this maybe more than you are shooting for but all things for you to consider.

I'll only be about 100 feet from a shower/bathroom/etc... in the house so that hasnt even been considered...PLUS, all the Septic B.S. I'd need to do.... I'll be plumbing in water, but in winter I plan on flushing it out....just to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
    My heat is forced air with air conditioning. Many opt to put the heat in the floor but for me the forced air works great. I can turn it down when I am not there and recovery is very quick. The furnaces are in the air, the shop one is on top of the office (11'6" ceiling height). And the other (storage area) is hanging from the rafters on 3/4" threaded rod. This saves on floor space. There is one thing that I can guarantee and that is your needs will change over time. The best you can do is take your best shot at and go from there. Hope this helps.
    I've already been talked out of Radiant...that was what I wanted all along, but for a "part time shop" its not economically worth it. Radiant only pays back as a "set it and forget it" thing, so keeping the shop 65 degrees isnt economically worth it. My shop at home is heated with hot air and its great...keep the heat at 40 Degrees and when we're there just flip it up to 60/65 degrees...warm in no time.
    I've heard the same thing about surface lines...I plan on surface mounting my air lines and POSSIBLY my 220v lines, but all 110 and other services I plan on putting in the wall, which will eventually be insulated and sheathed with Sheetrock...

Pete, I'm gonna go look for that thread now...

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,031 Times in 2,511 Posts
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Nice shop/garage Ken,
    Why did you do Pole construction? I've seen tons of posts here and on other sites with pole buildings, but its not popular. When I got my initial design work done at the local lumberyard they said in the end it would be 6 in one/half dozen for the other price wise. They said if insulating & interior finish was part of the future plans, without a doubt go stick
    I was thinking stick built for ease of construction and it was cheaper initially

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,031 Times in 2,511 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudland_Dave View Post
    Nice shop/garage Ken,
    Why did you do Pole construction? I've seen tons of posts here and on other sites with pole buildings, but its not popular. When I got my initial design work done at the local lumberyard they said in the end it would be 6 in one/half dozen for the other price wise. They said if insulating & interior finish was part of the future plans, without a doubt go stick
    I was thinking stick built for ease of construction and it was cheaper initially
    It all came down to $$$ for me in the end. I've wanted this building built for years, stick building was TWICE the price. The added cost of concrete footers, vinyl siding and a asphalt shingle roof put it out of reach for me. I even looked at the pole barn "kits", but could not buy this with the options for what I paid the Amish/Mennonite company to build it-and it only took five days.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    05-26-2019 @ 05:02 PM
    Thanks
    I'll echo kennyd's cost constraints, pole was cheaper than stick here.

I guess spudland is still reading my post on my garage, it's not exactly light/quick reading .

Pete
    '09 JD4520 Cab (60HP), '97 KubotaB21 TLB (21HP), 400cx loader, MX6 rotary mower, SB1106 6' Sickle Bar, BB3272 6' box blade, GradeMaster 7' Landplane, Frontier AF11E Front Blade, 4' Pallet Forks, 6' landscape rake, ballast box, Woods GTC 40" tiller, PHD 9" auger, 4' x 8' chain harrow, '16 X755 (23HP Diesel) w/front PTO, 60" deck, 72" front blade, '90 JD318 (18HP gas) with 48" MM mower, 54" front blade, 47" snowblower.
    Volunteer Firefighter.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    Dave, I have a few suggestion for your barn that you drew above.

1. You side entry doo will open into whatever you might have parked in that door 1 drive. I would highly suggest adding to the width of the shop to allow full swing of the door.

2. 8' garage doors (height) suck. Down the road, if you get some new toys, you will not get them in there. A side by side on a trailer will not fit. An enclosed trailer that is built to normal specs will not fit. A 4x20 will not fit. A boat of almost any size will not fit.... and on and on. Build for the future, even if you don't expect it.

3. Your side garage door is in an odd spot. You limit bay #2 to only 20 feet. That would be a pirus, jeep, or tractor. What do you plan to use that door for? I would use it for my tractor (lawn tractor). It also makes the part of the barn to the rear hard to use unless its shelving. and then you have to walk around stuff.

4. I think you are light on your width. If you take two cars or one truck and one car and park them so that each can open the doors fully and each side of the car has a door open, then measure the distance accross. I think that you will find that its almost 30 feet, depending on the car. 36 x 44 would solve a lot of your probelms! Its nice to be able to work around things once you have them in the shop.

Brian

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Build for the future, even if you don't expect it.
    I couldn't agree more with Brian on this. This goes along the lines of wanting more tractor. You will always wish you have more room. No one ever wishes for a smaller shop. Money is always a concern. If you can not afford it now at the very least plan on how you would add on. I realize my shop is not a fair comparison, but I could not imagine anything smaller. Actually, my pole building is designed in eight foot increments and as I placed the order I added an eight foot section to it. My building is the biggest I could afford at the time. All you can do is take your best shot at it for your intended use. But trust me, your intended use will change. Here are some shots of my shop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shop_Front-2.JPG   Shop_Front-3.JPG   Shop_Rear.JPG   Shop_Int-1.JPG   Shop_Int-2.JPG  

BathRoom.JPG   Office_Int-2.JPG   Storage-7.JPG  
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast