Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Propane Heater hook-up

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 04:34 PM
    Thanks

Propane Heater hook-up

Need some advice from any propane experts out there. I have propane in my house for the gas range and fireplace and also have a quick hookup in my garage for a BBQ. I have a MR. heater 40,000 BTU LPG heater that I have a tank for but wanted to just get a coupler to use the hookup in the garage. I walked into a local place that deals in propane and when they asked me what I wad trying to do, they said I can't because it would not work do to different pressure. They explained that the house tank has it's own regulator so if I hooked up the Mr. Heater to it, it would give little heat. I asked how a BBQ can hook up to it and he said yes but no to the heater. I didn't feel armed to have an educated discussion on it so I just left.

After leaving, I was thinking why can't I just use a hose without a regulator for the heater? Would it not be regulated by the propane from the house tank?

It sucks having another tank going when I have a large tank full for the house.

Thoughts? Advice?

Cheers
    Last edited by dieselshadow; 01-03-2016 at 05:27 PM. Reason: edited title for clarity and better searches
    2008 JD 2320 w/FEL
    RB 2072
    SB 1154
    LR 2072

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    tj1
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacTractor View Post
    Need some advice from any propane experts out there. I have propane in my house for the gas range and fireplace and also have a quick hookup in my garage for a BBQ. I have a MR. heater 40,000 BTU LPG heater that I have a tank for but wanted to just get a coupler to use the hookup in the garage. I walked into a local place that deals in propane and when they asked me what I wad trying to do, they said I can't because it would not work do to different pressure. They explained that the house tank has it's own regulator so if I hooked up the Mr. Heater to it, it would give little heat. I asked how a BBQ can hook up to it and he said yes but no to the heater. I didn't feel armed to have an educated discussion on it so I just left.

After leaving, I was thinking why can't I just use a hose without a regulator for the heater? Would it not be regulated by the propane from the house tank?

Thoughts? Advice?

Cheers
    My only advice I can give you is have a professional hook it up.. Propane is dangerous to fool with and I for one would not try to hook this up.. Your homeowner insurance may not cover the explosion.. I just lost a friend 2 months ago to a propane explosion and he was licensed to do gas/plumbing and was a plumber for at least 40 years.. All it takes is a little propane and BOOM.
    Please do not try this yourself..
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:19 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,725 Times in 1,188 Posts
    If your Mr. Heater is not equipped with the Quick Connector(next to the regulator), you will need to by-pass the built-in regulator, to run off your house propane system.

NOTE: It is highly recommended you purchase; and use a Carbon Monoxide Detector while running the heater.
    DRobinson and pappa like this.
    Michael

2019 Z540R
    1984 JD 750
    2008 JD Z445
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw
    And a bunch of other stuff.

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"?
    - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Thanks

Thoughts? Advice?

Cheers
    They told you it "won't work due to different pressure". The large propane tanks typically have a low-pressure regulator installed to feed the house. Typically, those output somewhere between .4 and .6 PSI and that's what is used in RVs, for BBQ grills, etc...

Your Mr. Heater unit uses a high-pressure regulator. Depending on the exact model they use somewhere between 10 and 20 PSI.

So if the pressure coming into the house is already reduced to .5 PSI, there isn't any reasonable way for you to increase it back up to 10+ PSI to run your heater. This is why you'd only get "a little heat". Your heater won't be getting enough gas to run properly. They'd have to come out and replace the current low-pressure regulator with a high-pressure regulator and then cut the low-pressure regulator back in again somewhere downstream of your heater connection. I'm sure they'd be willing to figure out how to do that for you if you're willing to pay them enough.
    Last edited by JimR; 01-03-2016 at 06:37 PM.
    arlen and tj1 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:48 AM
    Thanks
    You could have a liquid tap installed on your house tank, and refill your 20 pound tanks yourself. You have to do a little custom plumbing, and take a 20 lb cylinder adapter and drill the orifice out of it.
    I did it to my tank many years ago.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,583 Times in 993 Posts

Thoughts? Advice?

Cheers
    I have a Mr. Heater # 9120, 120,000 BTU infrared heater suspended from the ceiling in my barn to take the chill out. Purchased from Northern Tool a few years ago. I've attached an installation guide & manual that you may want to read through. It states that their propane heaters require no more than 1/2 psi inlet pressure (11" - 14" w.c. / water column pressure.) under the warning listed on page E4.

I'm running the heater off a dedicated ~ 100 gallon external propane tank outside the barn. The propane tank has a preset residential regulator at the shutoff valve under the fill cap. I've got it piped with 1/2" black pipe into the barn, up a side wall and across the first floor ceiling to a shut-off valve, then using flexible pipe to the inlet fitting on the gas valve. It's thermostatically controlled and uses a continuous pilot. I would have preferred electronic ignition but it wasn't available when I purchased the heater. Hope this information is helpful.

Here's a link to a conversion formula to convert pressure to w.c. / water column: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...e%20conversion

This installation was inspected by both the propane delivery company and the town. I would assume that as long as your main supply is large enough to provide enough gas volume to handle the multiple appliances without pressure drop you should be OK as well.

Link to installation manual:http://www.northerntool.com/images/d...als/173671.pdf
    Last edited by Superglidesport; 01-03-2016 at 09:51 PM. Reason: added link to manual
    tj1 likes this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,583 Times in 993 Posts
    Heater installation guide attached this time. At least I think it is. if not here's the link: http://www.northerntool.com/images/d...als/173671.pdf
    Last edited by Superglidesport; 01-03-2016 at 09:10 PM.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    03-10-2018 @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks
    Run a new liquid line from where the line enters the house to your heater in the garage.
    Matt

NRA Life Member

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:59 PM
    Thanks
    I have a similar setup as SGS. Mine's 40K BTU, heats the shop great. I used a 18 inch flex line from my pipe to the heater because I'm no plumber. Make sure you use the gas line pipe dope.
    Superglidesport likes this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    I have a Mr. Heater # 9120, 120,000 BTU infrared heater suspended from the ceiling in my barn to take the chill out. Purchased from Northern Tool a few years ago. I've attached an installation guide & manual that you may want to read through. It states that their propane heaters require no more than 1/2 psi inlet pressure (11" - 14" w.c. / water column pressure.) under the warning listed on page E4.
    Since he mentioned using a portable tank I presumed he meant one of their torpedo style heaters. I looked on their WWW site and those (except for the "Hero" model) all say 10-20 PSI range for the regulator output.
    Superglidesport and tj1 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast