• 3 Post By fdmars
  • 1 Post By CADplans

Thread: Semi-Temporary Floor For 1025R

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-23-2017 @ 02:09 PM
    Thanks

Semi-Temporary Floor For 1025R

So I'm finally getting around to thinking about installing a solid floor in my lean-to. I considered dumping stone but I'm not sure we'll stay on this property forever and I may opt to move the lean-to to a different area as I clear land. That said I'm torn between attaching the floor to the 2x(10/12 - can't remember which) that I used as the skis (one scabbed to either side of the 4x6 uprights).. or creating a floating floor where the deck boards are just attached to ground contact 4x4 posts. Either way it should be fairly easy to move around.. not sure if the sections of lean-to + associated floor would be too heavy for the 1025R to man handle or not though. Currently it is very easy to reposition the lean-to with the FEL and a log chain. My second question is: what thickness of deck board do you think I'd need. I was looking at 5/4" deck boards b/c I'd like to keep the cost down but I don't know how far I could span the supports given the load.

For the curious, my lean-to is comprised of two sections with woven roof panels (yes I tied the rafters and skis together also). Each section has a roof with an approximate footprint of 12'x12'. The floor space inside the skis is approximately 12'Lx10'W.

Thoughts?
    1025R, 60D, H120, 260BH, CountyLine 60" Tiller, 403 Rotary Cutter, Leinbach L7200JR Post Hole Digger, Cushman Turf-Truckster

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 10:18 AM
    Thanks
    NEVER gravel,,, that gets old,,
    I have one section of a shop that is floored with solid bricks,,

For a non-concrete floor,, the bricks are pretty great,,,
    Spend the time installing them correctly,,, they will stay nice,

I installed them because I was planning on parking a leaky tractor there,,, 20 years ago.

I got rid of the tractor,,, the floor is still perfectly level,, and it would be easy to move,,,,

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    05-22-2019 @ 03:31 PM
    The Willamette Valley, Laurelwood/Gaston, Oregon
    Thanks
    I like the idea of the wood 2"x floor, but I'm not one to comment as to whether that would be thick enough to carry the weight of what will be in the lean to. You'd probably need your floor joists on 12" centers for sure. It would be considerably heavier and therefore challenging to move I suspect.

I put up a pole barn this last summer not realizing how nice a shop in it would be in addition to critters. It's 24' x 20', with my dirt excavated floor. I had a couple of recycled rubber 4'x6'x1.125" mats that I had in the canopy tent I previously parked my 1026R in, so I move them into the new shop. wow, how nice to walk on. I got a few more to park the 1026R on and now have decided to do the entire floor with those mats. They're 'horse stall' mats so on the work/tractor side or on the sheep/steer side they should hold up better than dirt. They supplier is a former client so I get a good deal on them. Your post reminded me I need to order more to complete the work/tractor side and do the sheep/steer side before the critters arrive.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shop Floor.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	112857
    mjncad, Gizmo2, fdmars and 2 others like this.
    Marlin

JD 1026R - March/2013
    JD H120 NSL Loader, JD 647 Tiller, JD Ballast Box
    Frontier BB2048L Box Scraper
    IMatch, Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's Bolt-On Hooks & FEL Receiver Hitch
    John Deere Wheel & Suitcase Weights
    Wheel Spacers - 2" Front, 4" Rear
    Heavy Hitch Hitch’N Can
    LED Lights Front & Rear Facing
    Artillian Forks & Front Hoe
    R4 Tires Front & Rear

"Prayer can never be in excess." ~ C. H. Spurgeon

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I like the idea of the wood 2"x floor, but I'm not one to comment as to whether that would be thick enough to carry the weight of what will be in the lean to. You'd probably need your floor joists on 12" centers for sure. It would be considerably heavier and therefore challenging to move I suspect.

I put up a pole barn this last summer not realizing how nice a shop in it would be in addition to critters. It's 24' x 20', with my dirt excavated floor. I had a couple of recycled rubber 4'x6'x1.125" mats that I had in the canopy tent I previously parked my 1026R in, so I move them into the new shop. wow, how nice to walk on. I got a few more to park the 1026R on and now have decided to do the entire floor with those mats. They're 'horse stall' mats so on the work/tractor side or on the sheep/steer side they should hold up better than dirt. They supplier is a former client so I get a good deal on them. Your post reminded me I need to order more to complete the work/tractor side and do the sheep/steer side before the critters arrive.
    That's a great idea for those with a dirt floor! If nothing else it will help keep the moisture down and a heck of a lot nicer to lay on if you need to get underneath something.
    mjncad, rtgt and JBacon like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    05-22-2019 @ 03:31 PM
    The Willamette Valley, Laurelwood/Gaston, Oregon
    Thanks
    I've been VERY happy with it. Easy to clean and move again should I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Marlin

JD 1026R - March/2013
    JD H120 NSL Loader, JD 647 Tiller, JD Ballast Box
    Frontier BB2048L Box Scraper
    IMatch, Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's Bolt-On Hooks & FEL Receiver Hitch
    John Deere Wheel & Suitcase Weights
    Wheel Spacers - 2" Front, 4" Rear
    Heavy Hitch Hitch’N Can
    LED Lights Front & Rear Facing
    Artillian Forks & Front Hoe
    R4 Tires Front & Rear

"Prayer can never be in excess." ~ C. H. Spurgeon

8. Top | #6
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,948 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post

Heck, they work darn good on concrete too...
    coaltrain likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:12 AM
    Thanks
    I used one of those mats for a pick up truck bed liner, works great and a lot less than the cost of any mat made for a truck (Aftermarket or Manufacturer)
    Gizmo2, rtgt and Marlin like this.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    02-23-2017 @ 02:09 PM
    Thanks
    Sorry for the delay - spent most of the day trying to sleep off this sinus infection. Evidently my body has fully adjusted to NC weather. As soon as this cold spell hit so did the sinus problems.

For my particular case I need to raise the floor level above grade. Most of my soil is sand(sandy clay) above packed clay. Any time we get a decent bit of rain the sand filled bowl fills with water and I pretty much have water streaming through/above my grass. If I put the wood decking on 4x4s that should be enough height to keep things dry. The price point for 5/4"x6" deck board is roughly half that of treated 2"x6".. which makes 5/4" appealing but since I'll be backing my 1025R with 700# tiller I should probably go with the 2 by. Anyone have a guess what the 4x4 spacing would have to be for either 5/4" or 2" decking?
    Last edited by jklaus; 01-12-2016 at 11:20 PM.
    1025R, 60D, H120, 260BH, CountyLine 60" Tiller, 403 Rotary Cutter, Leinbach L7200JR Post Hole Digger, Cushman Turf-Truckster

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 10:18 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jklaus View Post
    . Anyone have a guess what the 4x4 spacing would have to be for either 5/4" or 2" decking?
    Put the 4x4's under the wheel tracks of where you will drive the tractor.
    Gizmo2 likes this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:59 PM
    Thanks
    Most decks are now required to be 12" on center for floor joist. ( this is people load) Yes, it depends on what material is being used. But with that said, I would use the 2 x material and put the 4 x 4 joist on 12" centers. What's the tractor weight? Ballast in wheels? That rear wheel will have a lot of load concentrated on a small area. Then add to that the tiller weight until it is lowered to floor for storage......

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements