Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Detailed Barn Plans

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-20-2018 @ 02:38 PM
    Thanks

Detailed Barn Plans

Anyone know of a good source for detailed barn plans? Getting ready to build and I would like to sub it out myself. Not really wanting a pre-fab.
    Jen

ZTrack Z915B
    2016 4052R with H165 loader
    iMatch hitch, Frontier box scrape, 6' disc harrow, 4' alternating tine aerator
    55 gal sprayer

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Thanks

LOL, old book

My reference may be a bit out of date. It's Farm Building Design by Neubauer and Walker, Prentice Hall, 1961.

For a more recent reference, you might check the book section at Lowes. I think I've seen something there.

The old book is pretty good but isn't up to date on things like laminated veneer lumber, prefabbed sections etc.

Treefarmer
    BigJim55 likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,953 Times in 2,914 Posts
    Pole barn?
    Usage?
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Thanks
    I bought mine from DIY Pole Barns

They will sell 1) plans only 2) plans plus materials or 3) plans, materials, and labor.

I chose option #3 as their lumber is excellent quality, and cheaper than I could buy at Menards, even watching for sale prices.

The labor was performed by a VERY professional crew. They work exclusively for DIY, but I paid them directly.

First, you use the online estimator tool to get the general shape/size/configuration of your building. After you submit this, you can contact them (or they will contact you) to work through other customization. They would customize anything...I didn't run into anything which scared them. For instance, due to my "city" location, I requested shingle roof, and siding to match my house rather than steel roof and siding. No problem.

I'm guessing you will want a horse barn, so you will have additional customization, but that will be fine with them.

Here is a video of the construction crew building my pole barn.

Last edited by Tractor Tim; 03-22-2016 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Fix the link to DIY Pole Barns.
    rtgt, Levi and Treefarmer like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:20 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timmarks View Post
    I bought mine from DIY Pole Barns
    Thank you for sharing the link, I too will be be building this spring...here's the correct link: DIY POLE BARNS & SUPPLIES
    Last edited by 56Nine; 03-22-2016 at 09:14 AM. Reason: reply and url
    Levi likes this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Nine View Post
    Thank you for sharing the link, I too will be be building this spring...here's the correct link: DIY POLE BARNS & SUPPLIES
    Sorry about that. I have updated the link in the original post.
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Nine View Post

I thought seriously about doing it myself. I got the detailed instructions from Menard's, studied them at length, but really didn't like how the top of the walls were done. There were no 'top band boards' for the rafters to sit on.

Then, I found DIY, and found that they were cheaper and delivered free, all one bundle. So, I was STILL planning to build it myself.
    Then, I saw the contractor assembly fee of less than $3000. I just didn't think I could fiddle with it for that price, especially with winter coming along soon.

For my 24x24x10, I had quotes of $25k, $30k, etc, asking several different builders. DIY was ~$10,000 even with my LP Smartside and shingle roof.
    However, I did notice on their website that they specifically exclude shingle roofs from their options now. Maybe it didn't work out for them on my building??? Not sure.

I had some difficulty getting my occupancy permit (from the city). DIY stood right along with me working this through the system. I was very impressed with them.

BTW, I have no affiliation with the company other than being a satisfied customer.

Tim
    rtgt, Levi, mark02tj and 3 others like this.
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tractor Tim For This Useful Post:

Stablenickers (03-22-2016)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:20 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timmarks View Post

I thought seriously about doing it myself. I got the detailed instructions from Menard's, studied them at length, but really didn't like how the top of the walls were done. There were no 'top band boards' for the rafters to sit on.

Then, I found DIY, and found that they were cheaper and delivered free, all one bundle. So, I was STILL planning to build it myself.
    Then, I saw the contractor assembly fee of less than $3000. I just didn't think I could fiddle with it for that price, especially with winter coming along soon.

For my 24x24x10, I had quotes of $25k, $30k, etc, asking several different builders. DIY was ~$10,000 even with my LP Smartside and shingle roof.
    However, I did notice on their website that they specifically exclude shingle roofs from their options now. Maybe it didn't work out for them on my building??? Not sure.

I had some difficulty getting my occupancy permit (from the city). DIY stood right along with me working this through the system. I was very impressed with them.

BTW, I have no affiliation with the company other than being a satisfied customer.

Tim
    That's great to hear Tim, I'm looking at putting up a 32' x 56' x 12' and the first quote was $44k with no floor! Ouch. I'll have to give them a call as I don't want a metal exterior; shingles and siding line yours. I would like to include a dormer, but know that adds $$ especially if it's a working attic space.

Thanks again for the real life experience.
    rtgt, Levi, mark02tj and 1 others like this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Pole barn?
    Usage?
    A post and beam building is fine. It's a new barn for our horses. I'm thinking 36 x 42. Layout as below but with a modified (much less space and much less snazzy) space in front left corner to be a bar/lounge area as in the other pic. Exterior roofline like one of the two front elevations. Haven't decided on exterior finishes yet. Not a full loft but a small area at top of stairs with seating area and railing so we can chill and look down at the babies in the barn or fling open the loft doors and enjoy the view outside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
    Tractor Tim and Treefarmer like this.
    Jen

ZTrack Z915B
    55 gal sprayer

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Although I'm thinking the back bar being all lit up is super cool and absolutely necessary.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    Jen

ZTrack Z915B
    55 gal sprayer

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast