Green Tractor Talk banner

New Barn Design - Currently 40 x 64

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Gizmo2 
#1 ·
I am going to build a new barn in the spring and I am struggling with the layout. I keep finding items that I would like to add.

1. I would like to have an attic. I have no clue if thats possible with 40 foot trusses.

2. I struggle with the garage door width, but I have it set now with 2 16' wide doors that are 12' tall and one 12 x10. Walls will be 14'.

3. I believe I can put a frost free hydrant in so I do not have to heat the smaller wash/work area. This area will be finished and insulated with a forced air heater. simple cheap.

I am open to all thoughts!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Good layout Brian. One thing I'd change is the doors. I'd move one of the 16' doors to the rear wall and have it where I could pull straight through if needed. One of the positive things about that is I can leave the front door (the one visitors would see when they drive up) closed and go out the back door and leave it open until I come back / finish my work. The barn looks secure from the front side and I can keep an eye on the back most of the time.

But you know what you want and why you need two doors that size in the front and I don't. Just for me, the drive through has been extremely useful. My sidewalls are 14 ft and my builder said with a 40 ft span a barn loft / attic was not feasible without supports underneath.

#3 ·
I would like to drive out the back, but it will not work unless I cut down some major trees and make a 200 foot long drive.

I had 12' wide doors all across on the front but I think they would be an issue over time when trying to back things in.

#4 ·
Brian,

For the loft / attic space, take your general thoughts to a materials supplier and ask them what materials you would need to use in order to provide some loft space. Some of the larger companies have folks that will do a cursory review of plans and advise you about using things like LVL instead of fir, etc...

Also - what about providing the loft space over the finished area? I would think that having a load bearing wall to put joists on would give you an opportunity to create some finished space above that area.

#5 ·
Is the walk-thru door between the two 16ft overhead doors going to swing into the 16ft door opening?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.