Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Working on New Utility Shed 10x20

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-11-2019 @ 01:31 PM
    Bloomingdale, NJ which is in the north east part of NJ
    Thanks

Working on New Utility Shed 10x20

I am waiting on a new utility shed which I have ordered from Carolina Carports. I am guessing it will arrive some time in January now since they are shut down during the holidays. I am hoping that the snow holds off here until it arrives. Thus far providence has been in my favor here in northern NJ. I wanted to build a barn 24x30 two level with a loft but I am going to have to deal with wetlands issues which I have started the process on. However it will take time. I want to get my 990 out of the elements. Right now it is covered with a tarp but I want to get it into something with a little more protection. In my town you can put up a utility shed up to 200 sqft and not more than 10 feet high (that is average height. It has to have a base of solid material under it and you can even put a concrete pad under it if you so desire and can afford. The other good thing is that wetlands do not come into the picture as long as it is 1/2' off of the property line. So the 990 with 8B is 19' long and 6' wide so a building of 10x20 will work to put it under cover. I purchased the Carolina Carports custom building after reading some good reviews off of this site. I have been working on the base for the building to be put up. Here is a link to the pictures of doing the compacting and building around the base with the multitude of rocks that I have at my disposal. https://plus.google.com/photos/11607...CLTjt9DQxamGJw The building is completely enclosed with 8x8 garage doors on either end, 2 windows on each side and a man door on one side as well. I went with the certified building which is set for 130 mph winds and 50 lbs/sqft for roof load and a 20 year rust out warranty. They come to install it and that is what I am waiting on right now. I did the initial order but that did not go through because of some glitches so I got behind by 3 weeks which pushed it off even further.

I used 8" (17 tons) of recycled concrete for the base. I found out after the fact that I could put down a concrete pad so I am checking into that right now. My construction friend told me that it will cost some money but that it will be worth it in the end. he said I should make the pad 3.5" to 5" thick.

Does anyone have any other thoughts that I am not thinking of or comments on what I have already done and should have done different or should change?

One other note Lord willing I will be getting about 5 ton of 3/4" stone in order to put around it as well.

Thanks for any help.
    Rob

second owner of '05' John Deere 990 CUT with the following:
    JD 300CX FEL
    JD 8B BH
    JD PF
    Artillian PF with 2" reciever hitch adapter
    JD BB
    SpeeCo 3PH Wood Splitter
    Also an independent SplitFire Wood splitter

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,035 Times in 2,514 Posts
    How about some electric for lights and a Battery Tender? Maybe a 20 amp circuit in a 1" conduit?
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Kenny, I would like that but because it is a utility shed I am not allowed by the town to put electricity in it. I figured I will run my generator right now to have electricity when I need it. Of course that doesn't help with the battery tender or for a block heater. But at least the building will be better than no building.

I had a friend using a freinds mason dump truck bring in 5 ton of 3/4" stone today and got stuck. We had to dump the load where it was and then I was able to pull him out with the 990. I really wanted to try with the load on but we both thought it best to dump the load. Then we (my 3 kids and I) had to hand shovel it into the 990 FEL and get it to the back. That was some work, all 5 tons!
    Rob

JD 300CX FEL
    JD 8B BH
    JD PF
    JD BB
    SpeeCo 3PH Wood Splitter

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:11 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,295 Times in 2,584 Posts
    I'd either put a "temporary" outlet in, or hide it really well.
    Ashokan1 likes this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    08-07-2015 @ 02:38 AM
    Thanks
    10 ga extension cord.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    05-16-2019 @ 05:41 PM
    Thanks
    I am doing a utility shed right now and this is what I intend to do when summer comes around. First, I put it on a skid type foundation to avoid building permits and a property tax increase so I can't very well run a permanent underground conduit to it. Now it's 14X24 so I'm pushing the size envelope and may get bit in the end but I don't think so. I'm in a rural area where folks are used to doing pretty much what they damn well please. At any rate I am going to mount a 50 amp RV type plug on the side of the bldg and from the load side of that feed a small 4 or 6 circuit panel and wire the shed as if it was permanent. I'll then mount a a regular 4 wire 50 amp recep in the garage and make an extension cord to run between it and the shed. You can go 30 amp which is much cheaper.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    I'd either put a "temporary" outlet in, or hide it really well.
    +1 on that idea.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank you to all of you for all your ideas. I like them. My utility shed is about 200' from my main box in the garage of the house. In addition it is up and down hill and through lots of rock. Maybe the extension cord would work for 30 amps but again it is a long way off. The ideal would be to dig a trench all the way and bury a cable. If I do that it will have to be after the town inspector looks at it. Then I can go after it.

Right now I still do not have the building. We have had snow twice. I have a tarp covering the pad and was out removing snow off of it today. I am wondering if I should wait until spring now since they have not brought the building yet. I hope to talk with them later this week when they come back from their holiday break to see where I am in their schedule. I would have liked to have had it before now. We will see. It would be nice to have it for the 990 now. The tarp continues to work and keep it dry and out of the weather for the moment.
    Rob

JD 300CX FEL
    JD 8B BH
    JD PF
    JD BB
    SpeeCo 3PH Wood Splitter

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I spoke to Carolina Carport yesterday. They were going to contact me in the next two weeks to schedule it so that meant the end of January for installing it. I don't know if we will still have snow or if we will be overburdened with it by then so I asked if I could put it off. They said no problem. I can call them in the spring when I am ready. So that is what I have decided to do. I'll spend the extra to get a better tarp for the 990 for the rest of the winter. then in the spring I am going to do a little more work around and on the pad. I am going to put in some drainage pipe with stone around it and then I have a big rock to do some splitting on since it is ledge and cannot be budged and then work a little more on the pad and I am going to spend the money to put down a concrete pad for the building. This way it will make a real nice base. My construction friend thought that was a good idea since the area will expand and contract through the winter and it will be much more settled. So now just another 4 to 6 months to wait for the building which I know will go by faster than I can think.

P.S. I will also give thought to that conduit as well on the cement pad. If anything it will be good for putting a cable in from the outside where the generator would be.
    Rob

JD 300CX FEL
    JD 8B BH
    JD PF
    JD BB
    SpeeCo 3PH Wood Splitter

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    02-23-2019 @ 11:19 AM
    Thanks

Just a thought...................

I ran a 4" corregated pipe from 24" underground, under the sill, and into the barn, before I poured the floor.Truth be told, 'Yea, it had a 6-Gauge 220 line, and a water line in it.' I guess that it's not what they like to see, but damn, their taxing me on the structure, and I should be able to do as I please. (My opinion, not the Courts, or Zoning Folks!) Keep the lights off for a while................~Scotty

I realize that your's is different, a shed vs. a barn but come-on! A genertor feed, vs. a House Feed? What's the difference????

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast