Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree491Likes

Thread: Adding a metal equipment garage to our parking area - lots o pics

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:14 PM
    Thanks

Adding a metal equipment garage to our parking area - lots o pics

This will be describing the addition of a 22'x21' metal equipment garage at our home in NC.

Some background:

An early project for the 1025R was building a parking area. Initially it was just to accommodate a one axle box trailer, one axle ATV trailer & an 18' car hauler for the tractors (3038e & 1025R).

The near area on the right was a small spur for the truck to park if we were needing space in the driveway for visitor cars.

Needless to say that expanded over time to include the 3038e & related attachments most of the year. The spur became a home for the chipper and burn barrels. More room was wanted. The initial parking area was cleared mainly by removing downed timber, brush & saplings. I decided to expand the area immediately to the right of the trailers in the picture above - which required a bit more effort.

At this point, I was thinking of just putting in some gravel. That kind of morphed into gravel & a pole barn and I was looking into packages, permit issues, HOA approval etc. The wife also pointed out that a concrete pad would make things much easier & less messy. Things stayed on hold while looking into permits.

We had some concrete jobs coming up & the wife asked the contractor about maybe doing a package deal. He was receptive so I had to shift into high gear. Decided on the largest building that would work in the space. Found a vendor who had the style we wanted & ran sample colors & building style by the HOA. They were fine with it (probably doesn't hurt that I mow both sides of the access road for 1/3 mile from our place down to the mailboxes as a freebie). Got the permits & zoning lined up after putting a deposit down on the building (16%) so I could get their drawings for the inspections office.

Since the contractor needed non-driveway access for the concrete truck (one job was replacing the apron between driveway & street) I created two access points, one for the building pad site & one for the sidewalk install. Just as well I made both, the gravel delivery had to do a "drive-through" coming in on the building pad site & exiting the sidewalk access! While the contractor's backhoe was on-site for the drive & sidewalk, he made a quick pass at the pad site to lower the grade by about 4" & do a rough level.

This is the access point for the building site & a bit of the rough cut the backhoe operator did for the pad. I had to cut 5 small trees (< 6") & 2 medium sized ones (~10") to create the path:

After the contractors left, I took some time to relocate the corners (covered by the backhoe working) and used the 1025R to clean up some corners & edges.

Got lucky & the day after they did the work, the permit was approved ($150 for the inspections office, $50 for zoning). I was also lucky in that the environmental folks signed off re septic & well encroachment without a $150 site visit, based on the work being so far separated from the septic field and at a higher elevation.

The contractor had some time so he came out the following day and we got things ready for the inspector. That involved getting things square, digging footings, shooting elevations to place forms (turns out there was a 5" variation from left to right), adding a 4" layer of gravel to the interior of the pad and placing rebar.

The 1025R got pressed into service, digging the footers on either side and moving gravel.

The gravel was covered by plastic & a form level string run side to side for the inspector.

more after the inspector visit ...

Nick
    Last edited by nikdfish; 08-26-2016 at 08:19 AM.
    2010 JD 3038e w/305 FEL 2013 JD 1025R FILB 2017 JD x394
    RC2060 rotary cutter, BB2060 Box Blade, Strap-On Pallet Forks, Jinma 6" Chipper, Tarter 5' Tiller, TSC Middle-buster, Agri-Supply Keulavator,
    Caroni TC590 5' Finish Mower, TSC 6' Landscape Blade, TSC 6' Landscape Rake, TSC Post Hole Digger, Modified TSC Carry-All w/deck & casters

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikdfish For This Useful Post:

DRobinson (08-26-2016), RandyM (08-26-2016), rydplrs (08-29-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,734 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Lots of hard work there, Nick.
    Keep the photos coming.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"? - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

5. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,953 Times in 2,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flyweight View Post
    Lots of hard work there, Nick.
    Keep the photos coming.
    I agree.
    Thanks for the post nikdfish.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    This is great - love to follow along with projects like this.

One thing is for cetain - I was entertaining the thought of replacing our barn vs. doing an extensive rehab. After reading all about your approvals needed and inspections I will do the rehab instead. No way I want to go through all that!

What has this world come to? You can't do anything to your own property without someone elses approval (multiple times).
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts

BigJim55 likes this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Inspector came by today, no problems so good to go for a concrete pour on Monday. Inspections doesn't need to come by again until after building is finished & ready for use (I'm not putting in electric or plumbing so it is pretty simple...). Once the pour is done, I will call the building manufacturer/installer to let them know so I can get on their schedule for delivery & install.

Nick
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, Levi and 2 others like this.
    RC2060 rotary cutter, BB2060 Box Blade, Strap-On Pallet Forks, Jinma 6" Chipper, Tarter 5' Tiller, TSC Middle-buster, Agri-Supply Keulavator,
    Caroni TC590 5' Finish Mower, TSC 6' Landscape Blade, TSC 6' Landscape Rake, TSC Post Hole Digger, Modified TSC Carry-All w/deck & casters

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    This is great - love to follow along with projects like this.

One thing is for cetain - I was entertaining the thought of replacing our barn vs. doing an extensive rehab. After reading all about your approvals needed and inspections I will do the rehab instead. No way I want to go through all that!

What has this world come to? You can't do anything to your own property without someone elses approval (multiple times).
    We had a 8'x16' deck that I/we replaced with one that is 11'x46'. Property tax man came out to assess our property a couple years later, he noticed and asked about it. Told him the measurements which he wrote down. We never did get a permit to do it, just did it. Taxes didn't go up that we could see.

Looks like that's going to be a nice shed!
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 02:23 PM
    Thanks
    I need to build a pole barn of similar size, but it's going to be on a bit of a slope. I look forward to more details on your project.
    Jason

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    After the inspector left, I did some cleaning up. Most of the large pile of gravel that remained got used to fill in eroding areas along the road side ditch area (still part of our yard). The remainder was spread fairly thickly in the area in front of the pad & at the top of the parking area. I can recover some later if needed for coverage in another area.

I moved the chipper (covered in blue tarp) away from the work area using strap-on forks on the 1025R bucket (it pretty much maxed it's capacity...) and moved the burn barrels to one side.

With those out of the way, I moved the pile of topsoil from lowering the grade 4" over to a location of the wife's choosing. She is not one to waste topsoil & already has plans for flower bed expansions. This clears the area to allow the concrete truck to drive straight through if needed. I also cleaned up the piles left from the footing excavations.

This should be it until the pour is done.

Nick
    Last edited by nikdfish; 08-27-2016 at 09:41 AM.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Side note:
    A couple of gully washer thunderstorms rolled through & pretty much filled both footings (rebar totally covered & not visible). I have a 12v bilge pump that normally sits in a barrel I can take around with the FEL when the wife has a lot of areas needing water. Toted the pump & a booster box over to the pad site & pumped the water down to an inch or two. Hopefully the road edges will be firm enough come Monday for the concrete delivery...

Nick
    Gizmo2, Levi and johnH123 like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast