This will be describing the addition of a 22'x21' metal equipment garage at our home in NC.
An early project for the 1025R was building a parking area. Initially it was just to accommodate a one axle box trailer, one axle ATV trailer & an 18' car hauler for the tractors (3038e & 1025R).
The near area on the right was a small spur for the truck to park if we were needing space in the driveway for visitor cars.
Needless to say that expanded over time to include the 3038e & related attachments most of the year. The spur became a home for the chipper and burn barrels. More room was wanted. The initial parking area was cleared mainly by removing downed timber, brush & saplings. I decided to expand the area immediately to the right of the trailers in the picture above - which required a bit more effort.
At this point, I was thinking of just putting in some gravel. That kind of morphed into gravel & a pole barn and I was looking into packages, permit issues, HOA approval etc. The wife also pointed out that a concrete pad would make things much easier & less messy. Things stayed on hold while looking into permits.
We had some concrete jobs coming up & the wife asked the contractor about maybe doing a package deal. He was receptive so I had to shift into high gear. Decided on the largest building that would work in the space. Found a vendor who had the style we wanted & ran sample colors & building style by the HOA. They were fine with it (probably doesn't hurt that I mow both sides of the access road for 1/3 mile from our place down to the mailboxes as a freebie). Got the permits & zoning lined up after putting a deposit down on the building (16%) so I could get their drawings for the inspections office.
Since the contractor needed non-driveway access for the concrete truck (one job was replacing the apron between driveway & street) I created two access points, one for the building pad site & one for the sidewalk install. Just as well I made both, the gravel delivery had to do a "drive-through" coming in on the building pad site & exiting the sidewalk access! While the contractor's backhoe was on-site for the drive & sidewalk, he made a quick pass at the pad site to lower the grade by about 4" & do a rough level.
This is the access point for the building site & a bit of the rough cut the backhoe operator did for the pad. I had to cut 5 small trees (< 6") & 2 medium sized ones (~10") to create the path:
After the contractors left, I took some time to relocate the corners (covered by the backhoe working) and used the 1025R to clean up some corners & edges.
Got lucky & the day after they did the work, the permit was approved ($150 for the inspections office, $50 for zoning). I was also lucky in that the environmental folks signed off re septic & well encroachment without a $150 site visit, based on the work being so far separated from the septic field and at a higher elevation.
The contractor had some time so he came out the following day and we got things ready for the inspector. That involved getting things square, digging footings, shooting elevations to place forms (turns out there was a 5" variation from left to right), adding a 4" layer of gravel to the interior of the pad and placing rebar.
The 1025R got pressed into service, digging the footers on either side and moving gravel.
The gravel was covered by plastic & a form level string run side to side for the inspector.
more after the inspector visit ...