Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree203Likes

Thread: Sugar Shack time

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 10:24 AM
    Thanks

Sugar Shack time

I can hear that song in my head now: There's a cute little girl she's a working there....... When I get back to the sugar shack.......

I have been tapping trees on my property for a couple years now and evaporating sap down to syrup the hard way. In buffet serving trays on an open fire. It took 10 hours a day to get 30 - 35 gallons boiled down to syrup.

So wanting to expand to get more than a couple gallons a year it's time to up grade the whole process.

First I purchased a hobby evaporator that will boil off 9 gallons of water an hour. 1/3 the time it took the other way. The evaporator will be here middle September.

Now a place to put it. How about a 12 X 16 foot sugar shack. That's the plan but could change in the process. But a 12x16 seems to be the best fit.

So to start the project I started up my Deer 1023e and headed down to the back lot.

First I had to move a couple small rocks. So on went the grapple. Here is one of the little critters:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0272.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	7.21 MB 
ID:	231146

Then I had to move my compost piles from the shack location.

Name:	DSC_0263.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	7.14 MB 
ID:	231154

Then scrape off the surface soil:

Name:	DSC_0264.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	7.86 MB 
ID:	231170

I decided to place the shack on 12" on 1-1/2 inch crushed stone. So I dug down 8 inches so the stone will only be 4 inches above grade when done. I'm doing it this way because in real big rain storms the location puddles with water. I'm solving that with the crushed rock and drainage pipes that lead out the back corner into the lower woods.

Here is the excavation. I did all the work then put a laser level on it. I must be good because the entire area is level to within 1 inch.

Name:	DSC_0265.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	7.75 MB 
ID:	231162

I'm hoping that the rock will get here by end of this week and I can build the base. I'll post more pics then.

When I get back from a short trip I'll build the floor base and Order the wood for the shack. I'm going to use rough cut pine from a local saw mill. They sell true dimension dried lumber for lower price than the stuff you can get from the big box stores.

That's it for now. My next post will be this weekend if the rock gets here. Other wise it'll be in about 3 weeks.

Steve

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deere Ol Man For This Useful Post:

130Oxbow (09-01-2016), Drifterbike (08-30-2016), RandyM (08-30-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 08:30 AM
    Thanks
    Heh. I'm doing something similar.

I started building an evaporator out of an old 250 gal oil tank so I could use that instead of the buffet pans over a fire pit. My plan is to move that into my 10'x16' shed and build a new shed for yard tools.

So post lots of pics so I can steal some of your ideas!
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:29 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Thanks for sharing the beginnings of your project. Looking forward to following along.

We did maple syrup for many year but on a very small scale. Just loved doing it as that time of year is so slow with the winter weather.
    Superglidesport likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks

The rock is here

and on the move.

The trucker had a rain out on a paving job so he was able to drop a load in the driveway:

Name:	DSC_0274.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	7.64 MB 
ID:	231986

Better perspective on size of a 10.2 ton pile of 1-1/2 stone:

Name:	DSC_0275.JPG 
Size:	7.07 MB 
ID:	231994

First small load to start:

Name:	DSC_0276.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	7.41 MB 
ID:	232002

First drop on the shack site:

Name:	DSC_0277.JPG 
Size:	6.93 MB 
ID:	232010

More to come tomorrow.

Steve

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 08:18 AM
    Thanks
    How much ballast do you have in that ballast box? That 5 gallon bucket looks like it's down in there a pretty good way.

It does look like a fun job though. I love moving stuff with my FEL and/or forks. It just reminds me of playing with my trucks and tractors when I was little. You'd think that at 54 years old I'd be past that.
    Last edited by mark02tj; 09-01-2016 at 03:31 PM.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks

It was

Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    How much ballast do you have in that ballast box? That 5 gallon bucket looks like it's down in there a pretty good way.

It does look like a fun job though. I love moving stuff with my FEL and/or forks. It just reminds me of playing with my trucks and tractors when I was little. You'd think that at 54 years old I'd be past that.
    Empty the ballast box was. I took out some concrete blocks I had in the box and filled it with some of the crushed rock. Someday when I feel like doing it I'll empty it again and fill with about 7 bags of concrete.

The crushed stone worked OK for this job. The rear end was a bit light on a couple loads but manageable.

Steve
    Last edited by Deere Ol Man; 09-02-2016 at 08:23 AM. Reason: speliing

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    05-22-2019 @ 03:31 PM
    The Willamette Valley, Laurelwood/Gaston, Oregon
    Thanks
    Deere Ol Man - Love the pictures and your project. Wondering if you're going to pour concrete on that 1.5" rock or just the rock as a high and dry self draining pad.

I'm doing a similar pole shop/ag building soon and was thinking 4" of rock, 3/4' minus. Wondering if I should do 5-6", a load of 1.5" minus followed by 3/4" minus? Then 4" + of concrete on top of that. Lot's of here and I only get on chance.

Keep us posted . . . .
    Superglidesport and BigJim55 like this.
    Marlin

JD 1026R - March/2013
    JD H120 NSL Loader, JD 647 Tiller, JD Ballast Box
    Frontier BB2048L Box Scraper
    IMatch, Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's Bolt-On Hooks & FEL Receiver Hitch
    John Deere Wheel & Suitcase Weights
    Wheel Spacers - 2" Front, 4" Rear
    Heavy Hitch Hitch’N Can
    LED Lights Front & Rear Facing
    Artillian Forks & Front Hoe
    R4 Tires Front & Rear

"Prayer can never be in excess." ~ C. H. Spurgeon

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 08:18 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deere Ol Man View Post
    Empty the ballast box was. I took out some concrete blocks I had in the box and filled it with some of the crushed rock. Someday when I feel like doing it I'll empty it again and fill with about 7 bags of concrete.

The crushed stone worked OK for this job. The rear end was a bit light on a couple loads but manageable.

Steve
    I just have gravel in mine. With the extension it comes in somewhere around 1000 pounds. Don't think I could get much more out of concrete.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks

High and Dry

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Deere Ol Man - Love the pictures and your project. Wondering if you're going to pour concrete on that 1.5" rock or just the rock as a high and dry self draining pad.

I'm doing a similar pole shop/ag building soon and was thinking 4" of rock, 3/4' minus. Wondering if I should do 5-6", a load of 1.5" minus followed by 3/4" minus? Then 4" + of concrete on top of that. Lot's of here and I only get on chance.

Keep us posted . . . .
    I dug down about 6-8 inches and laid rocks with a perimeter purf drain pipe then laid down 10 inches on stone. I'm going to build right on top of that. The drain pipe goes out the back corner and empties right into the woods which are lower than the gravel bed.

Stay with the thread and you'll see how I do it on this project.

Steve

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Deere Ol Man For This Useful Post:

Marlin (09-03-2016)

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks

The bed is done

Was able to get the bed done. The drain pipe was a problem. I purchased what I thought would be good enough cause I was only going to have a few inches of gravel over it. When I was leveling the bed I crushed the pipe with the weight of the tractor. So we dug the pipe up and laid in the heavy duty stuff.

Here is the spousel unit helping with the leveling using the laser and ruler.

Name:	DSC_0279.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	232681

The next job will be building the floor structure.

Maybe next week.

Steve

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast