New Workshop / Barn design --- Odd Shapes.....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Workshop / Barn design --- Odd Shapes.....

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks

New Workshop / Barn design --- Odd Shapes.....

I am doing some site/elevation design for our new home that we plan to build in a few years. I plan on building the barn before the house.

I started to rethink some of my ideas once I moved out a small 10x7 hunting blind I am working on. It looked so large sitting 800 foot off the road that it got me thinking of what a 40x80 barn with 14' walls would look like.

So, I started working with our designer at work and he is trying to get me into a L shaped barn. It would probably sit on a 45 degree angle off to one side of the house.

Issues:
    1. I want to have a specific section of the barn set aside as a heated area to wash cars and work on them in the winter. This must be accessible from the driveway and have nothing else in it.

2. I want to be able to pull in a 45' boat on a trailer.

3. I need to be able to access quads and a car without a huge issue.

4. The main home will have a large 2 car garage and the barn will be a 3rd car storage, so it will be fairly close to the home and accessible.

5. I need room to store some friends jeeps and cars without getting in the way.

6. I has to look nice next to the new house.

Seems like a lot to ask. Anyone have pictures or ideas?

I am guessing I would have 4 garage doors. 1 for the car wash, 1 for the 3rd car garage, one for quads, tractor and small stuff, and the last for large stuff. I will use a small corner behind the wash bay as a work area, but i will not have a dedicated large area for a workspace. I want to try to make it fairly mobile.

Brian

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Thanks
    Brian:

Sounds interesting to say the least. Not knowing the design background of the designer you are working with keeps me from commenting on whether his ideas are good or not. Some floor plans would help us comment further. Just the simple single line schematic floor plans that builders hand out as brochures in the model homes are adequate for comment by the group.

The only thing limiting you are your imagination and budget, and money is the one that usually spoils the party so to speak.

At the end of 2007, my wife and I bought 35-acres and the plan was to first construct a 60' x 40' x 16' outbuilding that would act as shop, construction office and materials storage for the house to be constructed.

After the recession clobbered housing values and our mutual funds that were to fund our last home before checkout; I've been giving thought to combining the shop outbuilding and house into one structure to save on duplicated efforts of HVAC and other services. Of course that's assuming we won't have to sell the dirt in 2011 and we can financially justify resurrecting our project.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

4. Top | #3
    Jer
    Last Online
    11-13-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    Brian,

I have been doing a lot of dreaming along the same lines as you over the past 3-4 years - the light of day, and finances, often allow me to interpret them into a reasonable projection, I think......

The first thing that pops into my head is the wash bay. I too want/wanted one, but just can't justify the cost. If you can do it outside, great, but inside is a pretty big commitment of space and money. I'm guessing that MI has harsh winters like we do, so you'd be without an outdoor washbay for part of the year.

You want to have room to work on a 45' boat, or store it?? How may 'friends' need to store their Jeeps there??

How much of this monster do you want to heat?? How do you want to heat it?? In floor?? Radiant??

Do you have any interest in a hoist??

Do you need 220V? Air lines??

Do you want a bathroom in there?? Beer fridge?? Mancave??

As far as aesthetics go, what will your house look like?? I'm a huge timberframe fan, so if I could start from scratch I'd do a timberframe barn/shop, or at least one with timber accents to match the make-believe timber house that I dream about. Plan your shop to match your proposed new home.

The second floor of a shop/barn would make for a great office/den/man cave/music room etc. Throw a wood stove in there, a flat screen, a poker table and away you go!!

-Jer.
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

2006 JD 3120 with R3 Turf Tires, 300x loader, Artillian Forks & Trailer Mover

Gator 825i S4 - NOW WITH TRACKS!!!

2014 pre-emission 997 with 60" deck

Wish List:
    now that I have a cozy cab, nothing really....

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Maybe some of this is a lot of dreaming, but more of it is planning in my mind .

The home is not designed yet. Our current designer has asked us for a list of what we want to do in each room and we are getting that together. My assumption is that it will end up being about 3,200sq feet with 2 stories. The second only being 2 bedrooms with walk in closets and a bath. Most of the home will be bring or stone and the accents will be a cedar.

So, the barn, in my mind, cannot stick out. It need to look like it was made to be there. I have a certain teed cedar siding that rocks. It is crazy thick for siding and is incredibly detailed. It will not be cheap to use it on the full barn, but the barn needs to look like it fits in.

The wash bay is a wish. Seems simple enough. I would heat it with a gas forced air heater. I have one in my current garage and it works ok. The only costs this seems to add is the studs and metal walls. I plan to have a section of it available for heat and working on stuff in the winter anyhow. I will need 220 for the the air and power washer. Thats no biggie.

Fitting a 45 foot boat. Well, prior to kids, I have always been on the water, either fishing or relaxing. We had a 29' Fountain for a few years and sold it once we had our daughter. It just was not practical. Someday, maybe, I might find an older 42 and play again, or I might not.

There will be no bathroom or man cave. I need to store 2 tractors and equipment, a lawn mower and equipment, 2 sidexsides, 4 quads, a gator, jeep and jeep stuff, a small section for working, and room to wrench on my stuff or someone else's.

I do not have any plans for a lift yet. Part of me would like one, and the other part does not.

I have 50K to spend on this place. I have to guess with the roof and siding that I am adding 10K to a normal barn costs.

Brian

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,033 Times in 2,513 Posts
    Regarding the wash bay: When I built my house (I was the GC) I wanted to put a drain in the garage (insulated, and heated) and slope the floor to it. The idea was for winter washing and general rain/snow runoff. Well, the County would not let me do it unless I put in some insanely expensive oil/water type separation system in case the car driped a little oil or something...Your area may be different-but you'll need to check on that.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I GCed my home also in 2004. I currently have a heated wash bay in my attached garage. 2 floor drains, hot/cold water, and 220 power. No issues. I know certain areas can be bad, but mine seems to be fairly open to stuff as long as its not used in commercial applications.

Brian

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    05-26-2019 @ 05:02 PM
    Thanks
    Here in NC my garage at home has drains. If only the concrete guys had got the slope right... At the fire department, we put in drains but since it was commercial we needed the fancy pants oil separator tank.

Here in NC if you can wait a week or two, you can wash outside. I put hot and cold water at the house garage where the pad is very sloped. It's quite useful for getting salt rinsed off of cars.

Here's a shot of south side of our house before the tractor garage went in. You can see the hose hanger by the hot and cold. South facing garage pad is big win cause ice and snow go away much faster. You can wash you car off and in a few hours of sun it's dry, even in winter. The tractor garage went in where the dirt pile was. I've got one free bay there that gets used for various things. If it gets too cold, I can take the antennas off the truck and park it in there. Up above the garage is my electronics work area/office. The garage is separated from the house by a 16' long by 8' wide "mud room". The isolation is in case the thing catches fire (house and garage have sprinklers). You can also see a conduit sticking up marking where the pipes were for the future tractor garage.

yeah, if the concrete clowns had got the floor right it would have been sweet. I was the GC for the house, used a design-build firm to do it, but concrete, truss installers and plumbers were subs under the design build group and they were miserable. I did all the electrical (low and AC), and was in charge of all exterior groundwork.

Shed roof design is just because I hate roofs and wanted a roof with no seams, valleys, hips, crickets, dormer etc. 50 year life, that's more than I have left. It turned out that not having all those complicated intersections save an incredible amount of money on the roof design. We have boring bees here (i.e. make holes in open wood as apposed to they'll put you to sleep if you watch them). So siding is Hardi-plank.

Anyway, there's a shot of a 4 banger for you. As with anyone who's built a house, I could type a book...

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sout_view_just_garage.jpg  
    '09 JD4520 Cab (60HP), '97 KubotaB21 TLB (21HP), 400cx loader, MX6 rotary mower, SB1106 6' Sickle Bar, BB3272 6' box blade, GradeMaster 7' Landplane, Frontier AF11E Front Blade, 4' Pallet Forks, 6' landscape rake, ballast box, Woods GTC 40" tiller, PHD 9" auger, 4' x 8' chain harrow, '16 X755 (23HP Diesel) w/front PTO, 60" deck, 72" front blade, '90 JD318 (18HP gas) with 48" MM mower, 54" front blade, 47" snowblower.
    Volunteer Firefighter.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I just had another talk with the designer and he has a ton of ideas, but the biggest issue I have is the size. Obviously a straight 40 by 80 is not going to fly in his book or the wife's. So I am looking at an L shape. I am looking at the main box being 40 x 60 and the side being 30x30. The 30x30 will most likely have 2 12w x 10h garage doors. The tricky part to me is the other 12 foot door. where do I put it so that I do not spend a fortune in concrete to get to it and I can still get something very long into it.

Brian

11. Top | #9
    Jer
    Last Online
    11-13-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with you that matching the style of the house is important, not only in finish (stone & cedar), but in shape. If you have elevation changes on your house, maybe put on the barn too, so that it doesn't look just like a Quonset with some rock and cedar on it.

Any chance you'd be allowed to (or interested in) building this attached to the new house?? Maybe you could convince your other half that it'll be good for 'storage'????

Are you going to put concrete down in the entire area?

Have you considered a 'lean-to' or carport type area for the vehicle storage, just to cut down costs??

If you're not going to get a hoist, i'd at least leave provisions in place for one. There are quite a few out there on the used market for a good deal.

If you can do this for 50K, I'd like to fly you, and your contractors, up here to build me one!!! There'll be an unlimited supply of beer, steaks every third night, and lot's of evening football games...... I'll even arrange some Rider tickets!!

Sounds like a fun project Brian.

-Jer.
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

2006 JD 3120 with R3 Turf Tires, 300x loader, Artillian Forks & Trailer Mover

Gator 825i S4 - NOW WITH TRACKS!!!

2014 pre-emission 997 with 60" deck

Wish List:
    now that I have a cozy cab, nothing really....

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Well, we started drawing it Jer and its changing by the minute. The 30 foot section turned into a 36 foot wide section due to the two doors I wanted. So, it looks like I need to figure how to drive into this thing with my site plan.

I truly think 50K should do it, ONLY because of who I work for and the connections. Without the connections from here, the design nor the construction would be feasible.

I have some time before I build this, but I need to get some things figured out soon. My designer is probably going to retire in 4 years and I want to be complete in 5 years. My house to this guy is somewhat of a laugh. His norm is 4.5 to 18 million dollar buildings. There is no magazine article to follow my home like his normal ones...

Brian

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast