Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: BTR Review

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-20-2016 @ 06:03 PM
    Thanks

BTR Review

So as stated in this thread I was intrigued by this attachment and had decided to order one.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...-toolrack.html

I was particularly looking for a carryall, some ballast and a trailer hitch. There are some other companies that offer some of these options or even all of them, but this seemed like it was really the fit I was looking for compared to some of the other options. This is almost like adding a pickup bed to the tractor vs. a trailer hitch/ballast option that might include a carryall box. My usage didn't require the concentration being on ballast or trailer hitch, but I wanted to have some of both those options.

The ordering was simple and easy, the owner followed up and communication was great. Everything was timely and as expected.

Here is how it was packaged as delivered to a business I have a relationship with that i usually get my tractor implements delivered to. As most are probably aware shipping is usually easier and less expensive when delivered to a business with a dock and forklift than at home/farm even though most of use have the equivalent of a forklift with our tractors shipping companies don't want to deal with no one at home, tractor not big enough ... for the difference in pricing they offer the vendors.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	WP_20140613_001.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	29223Click image for larger version.

Name:	WP_20140613_002.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	29224Click image for larger version.

Name:	WP_20140613_003.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	29225

Now as it happens on this particular day I did not have access to the pickup I would normally use to transport implements/attachments from the friendly business to my home. The BTR is also designed to attach to a trailer hitch so I figured I'd use the Jeep to bring it home by mounting it on the trailer hitch. This brings to mind that there might be some non tractor uses for this item. I might explore that in the future, it looks like this could be an excellent carry all for camping and I'm sure other uses.

Name:	WP_20140613_006.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	29226

So I get it home and now need to take it off the trailer hitch on the Jeep. Run into a slight issue here, entirely the fault of the trailer hitch not the BTR. I have an extension on the hitch to clear the spare tire. It works ok, but can end up creating a weird angle and binding the removal of items attached. Have had issues with other hitch mounted items such as my mountain bike rack before. This is clearly not as issue with the BTR itself.

I figure I will use the tractor and forks to put a pallet right underneath the BTR and then use the tractor to pull it out of the hitch. Now as it turns out I'm trying to do this in the middle of a rain storm and minutes away from a thunderstorm and lightning so I'm probably in too much of a hurry. You can see I have a bad angle on the pallet here for example. I end up lifting the forks a little to high and actually lift the rear of the Jeep almost off the ground and also actually pulling my Jeep backwards a couple inches. I'm thinking at this point I probably just messed up my brand new BTR and this really sucks. Well that turned out not to be the case. This did absolutely nothing to the BTR at all. It was still in perfect shape this thing is in fact an incredibly substantial and heavy duty piece of kit!

Name:	IMG_1159.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	29227

So at this point I actually have some Thunderstorms and it is getting dark. More on this review to continue tomorrow as I attach it to the tractor and start using it
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, andy b. and 3 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    Didn't you just order this about a day ago??? That was fast!

That storm probably hit me about 20 minutes after it hit you. I am definitely interested in hearing more. Please also give some more details on the possibility of using it as a carryall on the trailer hitch on your truck. I didn't even think abut that. I keep looking at those cheap carriers at Harbor Freight, but if the BTR worked on the tractor as well as the truck, all the better!!!
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andy b. View Post
    Didn't you just order this about a day ago??? That was fast!
    It was 8 days if I recall correctly from placing the order to delivery. I may have posted in the other thread that I had placed the order a couple days after actually placing the order.

That storm probably hit me about 20 minutes after it hit you. I am definitely interested in hearing more. Please also give some more details on the possibility of using it as a carryall on the trailer hitch on your truck. I didn't even think abut that. I keep looking at those cheap carriers at Harbor Freight, but if the BTR worked on the tractor as well as the truck, all the better!!!
    I'll be exploring using it on the Jeep or other vehicle more. I have one of those flat horizontal carry alls for a trailer hitch already, but this might work as a better replacement for that. That one isn't useful for stacking stuff as high as this one would probably be safe and efficient for.

I didn't even think of moving it this way until a day or so ago. I had found out that my brother was going to be out of town when it was going to be delivered today. Normally I would use his truck to move something like this. I would have had to wait until Sunday or Monday to pick it up from the place it was delivered. I then remembered that I thought I had seen on the website that it could connect to a normal 2" trailer hitch and decided to give it a try.

Name:	BTRHitch.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	753.8 KB
ID:	29232
    Gizmo2, farmgirl19 and Exeter like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Now attached to the tractor.

I can think of an addition needed here. Bracket to hold slow moving vehicle sign on the BTR itself. Didn't recall seeing that option on the website, it might be one. Could also be a spot already there that I missed. If not it's a small item that could be an improvement if anyone is going to be out on the road with the BTR attached. This is something I might do on occasion if going to do work at a neighbors or sometimes I'll actually drive the mile on back roads to a gas station that is close to fill up instead of schlepping gas cans around.

Name:	rearview1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1,004.8 KB
ID:	29237

Looks good from the side too.

Name:	sideview1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	29238

The fit and finish is really well done as can be seen in this picture of the gate latch.

Name:	gatelatch.jpg
Size:	393.3 KB
ID:	29239

3 Point hitch. It was pretty easy to get on and off. On my tractor I did have to do a little lifting to get the attachment points to meet up as the arms didn't go down far enough to meet up with the BTR on the ground or pallet. I think this is where the wheels setup obviously would make that easier. I plan on getting those with the next purchase. Also possible this would be easier with iMatch, I do not have one of those yet, it is on order from my JD dealer.

Name:	3point.jpg
Size:	760.6 KB
ID:	29240
    Gizmo2, DRobinson and farmgirl19 like this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Typical use for something like this, I've used the forks or bucket to move feed before, but this is more secure in theory.

Name:	feed.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	612.1 KB
ID:	29243

One of the actual reasons I was looking for something like this. I've used my forks to move tree trimmings, but they do tend to fall off sometimes. Or have to chop them up to get them into the bucket. Of course I can't just dump it out of here like with the forks on to the brush pile.

Name:	treetrimmings.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	29244

Dog doesn't seem to like the Dog carrier use test.

Name:	dog.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	29245
    rtgt likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    04-12-2018 @ 04:46 PM
    Thanks
    Nice review. Looks like a quality attachment that will last a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1025R FILB, 60D mower, Artillian forks, and Ken's hooks.

9. Top | #7
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:07 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,825 Posts
    A trucktractor. Thanks for the post mikeb, looks really nice and useful.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

10. Top | #8
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 751 Posts
    I nearly always have something behind the tractor, on the 3pt, be it brush hog or hay spear. I have an old 1954 Ford PU bed that I use for a small trailer behind the truck. Cost me $6/year to keep it legal with tags, etc., but this might be an option for around the property, as I could put it behind a lawn tractor, and pick up rocks and other debris as I go along.

I'm looking forward to further review, so I will know how it pulls over terrain.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    It's been a little while, but thought I would update this write up on the Big Tool Rack with some more pictures of some tasks I've used this for. It has been great for yard clean up.

Name:	btr1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	387.6 KB
ID:	32666

Name:	btr2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	338.5 KB
ID:	32667

Name:	btr3.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	32668

I've also upgraded with the chainsaw holder and weedwacker/tool holder. Will need to take some pictures, thought I had them, but can't find them now. Also got the stands for it. Those are key. It can be kind of a pain to get on/off the 3 point hitch/imatch without the stands. With the stands it is a breeze. No different than any 3 point hitch attachment. When tree trimming I've found that if I raise the 3 point hitch all the way I can often stand in it and avoid having to drag a ladder along.
    Gizmo2 likes this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeb For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2(09-10-2014)

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,483 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    It's been a little while, but thought I would update this write up on the Big Tool Rack with some more pictures of some tasks I've used this for. It has been great for yard clean up.

Name:	btr1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	387.6 KB
ID:	32666
    Can you post some photos which shows the front of the BTR when it is attached to the iMatch? I'm curious how it rides level as your iMatch appears to be at a severe angle when raised yet the BTR appears level. Does that mean the BTR droops down when you lower the iMatch a bit?

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast