Xpanded 260B thumb

Thread: Xpanded 260B thumb

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:09 PM
    Thanks

Xpanded 260B thumb

Just recently installed my upper pin bracket and researching my options on the thumb. Designed the bracket just like the 260b new bracket...however I used 3/8 plate as the John Deere 1/8" looks rather thin. My machine shop is super and we even discussed making the thumb, however I question whether we could make a design as quality of Xpanded unit. However I've looked high and low for videos in action and photos of installing and can't seem to find any. If any member or vendor has photos, I'd like to review. thanks, Chuck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3523.JPG

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    07-06-2019 @ 06:25 PM
    Thanks
    Hi Machineryman,

I have the thumb mounted on my 260B backhoe and it is a very... heavy piece of equipment. I'll shoot some photos and post them up in the morning. Install was easy and connects right up with the XPanded quickchange bracket.

I am having an issue though now where the weight of the bucket (12"), wet clay, thumb and QC bracket are causing my backhoe not to want to lift when loaded and mostly extended. I have to fuss with it to get it moving or otherwise the pressure relief valve kicks in and just holds it in place or raises it very slowly. I thought it was at first a cylinder problem, but after the dealer taking it in and being nice enough to change the cylinder out, I think the sheer weight of the thumb just pushed it over the load limit.

It's a great thumb but it seems to be designed for the larger tractors and is 1/2" steel throughout. I think this model could be strengthened but also the weight reduced with some slight modifications. Perhaps some "Skeletonizing" of the framework with cutouts that don't remove the strength.

-- Update -- Steel of thumb is 1/2" and not 3/8"
    Last edited by cjdavis618; 02-04-2019 at 06:33 PM.

2018 John Deere 1025R w,120R loader, 260 B Backhoe.
    John Deere Z335E ZTM

4. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements