Bleeding gate hydraulic cylinders on 535 baler?
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Heath
  • 2 Post By Treefarmer
  • 5 Post By Heath

Thread: Bleeding gate hydraulic cylinders on 535 baler?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-18-2018 @ 01:25 PM
    Thanks

Bleeding gate hydraulic cylinders on 535 baler?

I just rebuilt the gate cylinders on a 535 baler. When reinstalling them i connected both ends of cylinder to the correct spot and attached the bottom fluid hose and used a bottle and small hose to refill cylinder with hydraulic fluid then attached top hose. when i tried to work the gate the belt tension cylinder worked fine but gate did not move. I double checked to make sure everthing was reinstalled properly and it is but still no movement. Do i need to break a line loose to bleed air out or does it just need worked several times to bleed itself out? Thanks if anyone can point me in the right direction.
    Last edited by Heath; 05-12-2017 at 08:02 PM.
    raco232 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:18 AM
    Thanks

bleeding lines

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I just rebuilt the gate cylinders on a 535 baler. When reinstalling them i connected both ends of cylinder to the correct spot and attached the bottom fluid hose and used a bottle and small hose to refill cylinder with hydraulic fluid then attached top hose. when i tried to work the gate the belt tension cylinder worked fine but gate did not move. I double checked to make sure everthing was reinstalled properly and it is but still no movement. Do i need to break a line loose to bleed air out or does it just need worked several times to bleed itself out? Thanks if anyone can point me in the right direction.
    Normally you can work double acting cylinders out of any air by working it back and forth but you can speed the process quite a bit by slightly loosening the couplings at the cylinder to let the air out. You want it just loose enough to weep a little bit of fluid and then tighten. I'm surprised the gate didn't move unless it's just so heavy it compressed the air in the cylinder. It's harder to get a vertical cylinder full, sometimes it pays to fill it horizontal and then install.

Treefarmer
    raco232 and Heath like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Ya i concidered filling the cylinder first i wish i would have done that now. Thanks for the info i will give it a shot in the morning. Thanks again and i will reply tomorrow to let ya know how it went.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks

Triple check your work

I woke this morn and was thinking about what you said about being surprised the cylinders didnt move the gate at all. It shouldnt take much presure at all to release the hooks that secure the gate when fully closed! So i went out and just stared at it everything to me looked normal then i grabbed the rod that attaches the gate hook to the cylinder and it was not attached. Visually it looked to be in the right spot so i guess the moral of the story is if its the first or the tenth time you have done a job it never hurts to double and triple check your work. So i pulled pin and slid the rod into place on both sides reattached pins and gate works great. Even better is that the cylinders didnt show signs of leaking. Im fairly excited about that being my first time rebuilding hydraulic cylinders. As always thanks for the input it was much appreciated!!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Heath For This Useful Post:

Treefarmer (05-14-2017)

8. Top | #5
    HTR

Last Online
    08-23-2018 @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks
    Hi. Where did you get the seals for the cylinder? I’m having difficulties finding them. Thanks in advance!

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 06:29 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HTR View Post
    Hi. Where did you get the seals for the cylinder? I’m having difficulties finding them. Thanks in advance!

Any reputable hyd repair shop should have access to the cylinder seals or your friendly JD dealer should have repair kits available. I just had gate & tension cylinders rebuilt on my JD 467 by local hyd repair lady,reinstalled cylinders,raised/lower gate/tension arm twice then put baler in field baling hay. I personally think it's waste of time & oil to leave hose fittings loose to purge the air out then tighten fittings.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements